* Author Topic: Spain- Instituto Bernabaeu part 7  (Read 46823 times)

0 Members

Offline louisethewanderer

• Un-Ranked
modify
Spain- Instituto Bernabaeu part 7
« Reply #360 on: 14/01/20, 13:33 »
Hi, this is my first post so I am unsure of the etiquette as to whether I can just join a conversation or whether I should start a new one.

I have just started my meds for the trial run before hopefully have my first DE IVF treatment at IB Alicante next month. I am looking for tips and hints regarding the practical side of having treatment in Alicante. Can anyone recommend places to stay, whether I need to hire a car, how long the transfer takes, how many visits there will be to the clinic during the treatment, etc.

Many thanks

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Online Mac78

• I do believe in miracles.
    modify
    « Reply #361 on: 16/01/20, 19:36 »
    Hi Louise,

Which Dr are you seeing IB? I am currently waiting for a new cycle to start another mock cycle because I had to stop the previous one. I've only been in Alicante once to go through a hysteroscopy and it was last minute trip, so there weren't many affordable options for accommodation. I stayed in a small hotel just 15 walking distance to the Playa San Juan Beach and 10 mins by taxi to the clinic.
    I was able to get a bus to the city centre and even to the airport, so I don't think you will need a car. I can't comment on how long the transfer takes or how many times you have to visit the clinic as I am not at that point yet.
    Best of luck with the mock cycle:)

Offline Loonytoon

modify
    « Reply #362 on: 16/01/20, 23:27 »
    Welcome Louise

We were very lucky to have had success (so far) on our first cycle with IB. I loved the clinic personally and can highly recommend it.

Firstly def stay in Alicante town centre, thereís not much going on around the clinics side of town. It takes less than 10 mins in a taxi and all of the taxis we hailed on the street knew of the clinic. Weíve stayed in the MeliŠ during the summer when we went for tests but booked an apartment on booking.com for transfer for 7 days and it was lovely to have the space. I can pm you the details if you wish. V quiet street, no traffic noise or noise from pubs/restaurants and a lovely lady on reception during the day and close to all restaurants and il Corte shopping centre if you would rather cook for yourself.

Agree with Mac, thereís really no need to hire a car as itís nice to walk around the city, but if youíd rather explore some of the touristy small towns in the locality, maybe it would be a good option for you.

As I said we stayed 7/8 days. This included two visits to clinic. First On egg collection day we were only there for approx 1hour, my lining was scanned by Dr Castillo while dh gave his sample. We got updates via email on day 1 and day 3. Second visit was On day 5 for transfer, lovely private room to ourselves with ensuite. We were there approx 1hr 30 mins for transfer. Transfer was quick but emotional at the same time! We flew over day before egg collection and home the day after transfer.

Wishing both yourself and Mac the very best in your mock cycle, itís so nerve wracking but Iím so glad we finally made the jump to DE with IB. We got 7 blasts, something we could never ever have dreamed of with my own eggs, transfered one and am 11 weeks pregnant, so 6 frozen. So plenty more chances if this doesnít work out in the end. Iím very very anxious, but I know thatís totally natural and counting down the days until my booking scan with my consultant at the end of the month to make sure everything is as it should be. Iím finishing my meds this week too, which is a bit scary but youíve got to put trust in the clinic.

Any other questions just ask, and Iíll try my best to help if I can!

Offline Helen6a

modify
    « Reply #363 on: 17/01/20, 17:24 »
    I agree no need for a car, Iíd also recommend an apartment in Alicante rather than a hotel. The whole process is so smooth, makes me sad I wonít be going again but I love seeing all the updates on here x

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #364 on: 18/01/20, 13:54 »
    Hello ladies,

Thanks for your replies.

Mac78 - Iím seeing Dr Castillo. Good luck with your next mock cycle too.

Loonytoon - Thats amazing that you had success with your first cycle and I understand your anxiety whilst awaiting your scan. I really hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy and a beautiful baby at the end of it. Thanks for your tips re Alicante, if you could send me the details of where you stayed I would be grateful. I have been looking at places on AirBnB that are close to the clinic, but if you think nearer the town is better then I shall take a look. We intend on using the trip as a bit of a holiday because we havenít had one for a while due to saving up for treatment.

Helena6a - Iím glad to hear the process is a smooth one. We havenít actually been to the clinic yet and have done everything remotely from the UK so far, so I am little apprehensive to visit.

I am Ďsigned upí to the pregnancy guarantee programme, does anyone else have experience of this?

Offline Loonytoon

modify
    « Reply #365 on: 18/01/20, 21:03 »
    Louise I just sent you a link for the apartment we stayed in. We also had Dr C, a lovely man and v good at his job! We never went with guarantee as the stats seemed so good, we decided to go without it.

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #366 on: 20/01/20, 17:46 »
    Thanks Loonytoon, I shall take a look at the link.

Online Mac78

• I do believe in miracles.
    modify
    « Reply #367 on: 21/01/20, 20:13 »

Hi Ladies,

I finally had a reply from my coordinator about my mock cycle, Dr Castillo is happy to start mock cycle now, even though I haven't had my period yet and I don't need a scan either. So, I have been advised to take from tomorrow 4 mg PROGYNOVA for 7 days then increase to 6mg.
    I think because it's a mock cycle it's fine to start on day 42! Although I was hoping we would prescribe anything to kick off my cycle, it seems like I will have a very long cycle.
    Has anyone here had a similar experience?
    x

Offline Loonytoon

modify
    « Reply #368 on: 22/01/20, 11:07 »
    Mac Iím afraid Iíve no experience in this at all! I would also have assumed you would be given something to bring on your period? Could you wait a few more days to see if it would arrive?

Offline Marbles

modify
    « Reply #369 on: 23/01/20, 15:55 »
    Mac thatís completely normal. They wait for period for so long and if doesn't come they start you on the medication.

I thought I would finally come and share my news for all those oldies that come on and check the thread. After working with IB for 4 years and having 4 fresh cycles and 4 frozen transfers. I can finally share that we are 14 weeks pregnant and everything is looking great this time. I can hardly believe after 10 years on the infertility train, trying everything from ICSI, donor sperm, donor eggs and finally donor embryos we might just get to have our bundle of joy. Hopefully, this gives hope to those who refuse to give up like myself - miracles do happen