* Author Topic: Tracey Brittenís Story: IVF mum aged 50 gives birth to quads  (Read 2581 times)

0 Members

Offline asinglerose

Hi everyone,

I donít know how many of you have been following Tracey Brittenís story. You can read it here if youíre interested: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/8052203/tracey-quadruplets-mum-babies-home-christmas/amp/

I was just so amazed that at 50 she was able to have children with her own eggs. She transferred four embryos, thinking there was just no chance of it working out. One didnít stick but one split into two so she ended up carrying quads. By all indications, the babies are all in excellent shape.

Do you think that British Kolan IVF clinic did something special to make this happen or is she just lucky? Itís just that Iím one of those who have practically no faith in own eggs at over 45. But now I do wonder if itís all a bit exaggerated. Itís a shame that when they do these stories, no one talks about the treatment part of it. Did she take special supplements before having IVF? Whatís so different in this case. I would would have thought the same thing as her, put the 4 back in, itís hardly likely that even one would stick but for 3 to stick is inconceivable to me.

Just thought Iíd share the questions here seeing as I canít exactly ask Tracey. Iíve been in such a panic about my own fertility but maybe I have more time than I thought. I donít plan on waiting till 50 but itís just good to know itís not all hopeless just yet.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Online Stacey10

• Gold Member
    modify
    Tracey Brittenís Story
    « Reply #1 on: 25/12/18, 20:17 »
    Iíve read the arrival and I canít see anywhere it mentioning using her own eggs, I would say that it was donor eggs used. Most clinics in Cyprus transfer 3 and only a couple of them including Tm transfer 4. Good on her for not succumbing to pressure and aborting 2.

Offline asinglerose

modify
    Tracey Brittenís Story
    « Reply #2 on: 25/12/18, 21:44 »
    This is a quote from the Daily Mail:
    ďAfter taking the preparatory drugs at home, they flew back to Cyprus where her eggs were fertilised with Stephen's sperm and the embryos placed in an incubator, to see which would thrive.

A few days later, the healthiest four were inserted into her womb and the couple flew back home.Ē

Hereís the link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6526429/amp/Britains-oldest-mother-quads-51-happiest-woman-alive.html

Perhaps sheís just not telling the truth?

I do otherwise agree that she was very brave in opting to keep all, theyíre so precious given the odds being against them.

Online Stacey10

• Gold Member
    Ah ok that last link has more info, I would still question the oe thing 🤔 Iíve only ever seen 2 other ladies get pregnant with their own eggs at 50 so to think that she had at least 4 eggs taken from her and they were all able to get to day 5 would be pretty rare, maybe she did a tandem cycle and omitted that part out, £7000 sounds about the cost of a tandem cycle.

Offline Lily0750

• Gold Member
    £7000 in Cyrpus is definitely for donor eggs. Own eggs IVF costs much cheaper even in the UK, just look at websites of any London clinics (e.g. https://www.fertility-academy.co.uk/fees/).

As Stacey mentioned Team Miracle in Kolan Hospital insists on 4 embryos transfer. Their success rate is based on the first HCG blood test showing positive pregnancy. They do not care about complications of multiple pregnancies.

Here is one of the original stories:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6365523/Grandmother-50-Britains-oldest-mother-quadruplets.html

Tracey and her babies required team of 35 medics to save them. They were going to stay in hospital care till Christmas.

If Tracey's eggs were actually "like a 30-year old" surely she could have got pregnant naturally and would not need an IVF.

I guess DE was not mentioned in article for children's sake. In my opinion it is reasonable to tell children first when they can understand the matter and then it is up to children whether to publicise the fact or not.

I would believe that wealthy celebrities like Jane Jackson or Rachel Weisz have used their OE but that would cost more than £7,000. Btw, both of them had one child. only. If statistics are right and only 1% of eggs is good after 45, it would take more than one year to collect 4 good quality eggs and that's with egg collections every month.

Offline asinglerose

Thanks so much for the responses! Definitely makes more sense to think she just didnít want to talk about donor eggs for the sake of kids maybe or just not wanting even more judgment.

Thanks again!

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    • Infertility veteran since 2011! BFN princess :)
    Yes it would have been DE
    Nigh on impossible to succeed with OE at 50
     Let alone get surviving multiples !
    X

Offline Aley

I find articles like this one misleading. First, I woudn't believe what is in dailymail...about her eggs being retrieved and all that and second I read the article again, the doctor said something like "Her physical health is more like a 30 years old" not her eggs. 
    Plus as someone else was pointing out the prices given for both UK and Cyprus are those for a donor egg cycle and not a own egg cycle if I remember right from the last time I was reaserching both countries.
    I am glad for her and happy that the little ones survived and are well however articles like this hide the truth about donor conception and makes it more taboo, I find it sad really. Maybe if people would want to talk more openly about it things will be easier for those that have to go down that path.

Offline rubyring

I'm sorry but this has to be donor eggs. Possibly a tandem cycle but it will be the the donor eggs which worked. These types of articles are so misleading to those still hoping their own eggs are OK, and the clinics benefit from all those failed own egg cycles. Think how many clinics there are in Spain and Czech and Greece etc etc doing how many donor egg cycles per year. Say 50% of them result in a child/children. That's a lot of donor egg conceived children.
    Transferring 4 embryos is crazy. IF they all survive to birth the likelihood of serious disability is very high. I know of someone who had triplets after 2 embryos were put back. One of the identical twins will never walk. Something to think about.
    However I suppose it's good that older women are becoming mums, it was never my plan to still be trying at her age but society and life didn't work out for me and many others to have our children in our 20s which is the best time biologically.

Offline asinglerose

I do agree rubyring, it might have been better if she neither confirmed nor denied that she used donor eggs. Saying she used her own eggs isnít helpful. When celebrities donít want to say they used donor eggs, they just donít talk about it, I think thatís still better than giving the impression that itís possible to have quadruplets with own eggs at age 50.

I also agree that transferring three donor embryos is too risky (in my opinion), two is already plenty with donor eggs.

When I first read it, I thought she transferred three embryos because at 50, her eggs were very low quality. Oh well, live and let live I suppose.

But I have appreciated hearing from others that the fact is, having a child with own eggs at 50 is almost akin to winning the lottery so I should keep this in mind.

I donít fault anyone for having a child at 50+. I get annoyed sometimes because thereís a huge fight to ensure a womanís choice to have an abortion but not to have a child. That said, I do of course believe we have a duty to think about the childís best interests and our capacity to care for them.