* Author Topic: Tracey Britten’s Story: IVF mum aged 50 gives birth to quads  (Read 3056 times)

0 Members

Offline asinglerose

Oh boy, I forgot she actually transferred FOUR...I could never do that. Like I said, two is plenty for me.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline asinglerose

Thanks for sharing Kazzie! Great to hear it worked out for you :) I think the hardest thing is there’s really no certainty about how things will go for any particular woman. You used OE at 48 while others have had to use DE in their 30s. I guess it’s a game of chance. I’ve made my peace with both options already, in case this becomes my reality. While many of us would like to have kids earlier, it just doesn’t always work out that way. I’ll do my best not to wait too long but some aspects aren’t in my control.

Anyway, thanks for sharing Kazzie!

Offline erna_mil

• Un-Ranked
    Just unbelieveble. Should look for links to the sources, may be there is a description of the medical part.

Offline asinglerose

erna_mil, there’s no way I found where she admits to using donor eggs but since this was her one shot, I suppose doctors would have told her her best shot at her age is using donor eggs.

Offline deblovescats

• Gold Member
    • 2 BFNs 2012, DS 2014, DD 2016
    I believe that she had 3 implanted and one split to form identical twins.
    I don't have a problem obviously with older mums as I'm one myself, but it does annoy me about the issue of DE. I truly believe that most of these celebrities such as Janet Jackson and Rachel Weiz have used DE but just haven't said so. I think as well that Tracey Britten must have also used DE but is not saying this.
    I agree that clinics abroad don't bother about producing multiples as they don't have to deal with the ongoing care of the premature babies.
    I really do not see why there is an issue about DE. I love my two children totally and forget all about the DE aspect. If celebrities were more open, I think there would not be such a drama about it.

Offline deblovescats

• Gold Member
    • 2 BFNs 2012, DS 2014, DD 2016
    Correction - according to the article 4 were transferred, one failed to implant, and one split in two! Very irresponsible of the clinic!

Offline asinglerose

Yup, it was 4. I do agree that it will do the world a lot of good to be open about how they conceived - if they’re in the public light. Everyone else is free to decide whether of not to disclose because no one will be affected by your acknowledging or not acknowledging the use of donor eggs. I think deciding on the number of embryos to transfer is a complex issue. I think 4 is excessive but people have transferred 3 and ended up with a singleton or twins. I think twins are quite manageable, things get trickier with triplets and above I think. But I really do think she was terrified that she only had this one chance and so many people have used donor eggs and not succeeded so she must have thought...what are the odds all 4 implant? Or even less likely, that one splits. I think she just panicked. I do think the max number of embryos transferred ought to be 3.

Offline Clarabelle71

• Gold Member
    When I went to Kolan hospital they recommended I transfer 4. I had 4 make it to blast and they thought it gave me the best chance. I panicked but still went with 3. I thought about it before and maximum of 3 was always what I preferred and  I was very lucky and had 1 healthy baby. I actually think transferring 3 is ok however I know a few women who did transfer 4 and had only 1 or 2. For me I felt more comfortable with 3.Iam glad I could have the option. I also think it is most likely DE or Tandem.

Offline asinglerose

Clarabelle, I am so glad it all worked out for you! It's so hard to know what to do but I think you raise a really good point about deciding in advance. You had kind of made up your mind before the fact to transfer a max of 3. So maybe that's the thing to do, weigh up all the risks and settle on a max number (for some, this number is 2). That way no matter what happens on the day of transfer, you aren't swayed...you can be talked down to 1 but not up to 4. I think this is a good strategy for handling what can be a very overwhelming decision. I read about a woman who had octuplets because the doctor transferred TWELVE embryos. This is of course far more extreme and almost hard to believe: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/24/8-facts-octomom/4816235/