* Author Topic: PGS at D3 or D5 - which to choose  (Read 593 times)

0 Members

Offline CurlyGirl1225

• Gold Member
modify
PGS at D3 or D5 - which to choose
« on: 9/01/19, 11:39 »
Hello

I am about to start a new IVF cycle with PGS due to having some abnormal sperm, i need to make a decision to do PGS at D3 or at D5 biopsy.  The D3 would be a fresh cycle, the D5 would take longer to biopsy so would be frozen to do an FET at a later date.

The reason I am debating this and seeking advise from you all is I had a healthy pregnancy from a D3 PGS cycle.  Then last year my D5 PGS cycle had to be terminated at wk 14 due to abnormalities in developement (chromosomes were fine).

Also another D5 PGS tested FET was negative and had some fragmentation on thaw so Im skeptical about doing a frozen round.

Should i do a fresh D3 PGS testing round or Frozen D5 testing given my history of results?  When any abnormalities would be picked up at 12 weeks anyway.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement
    modify
    « Reply #1 on: 9/01/19, 14:38 »
    Day 3 is not reliable as day 5 because of the numbers of cells they test. I had several embryos day 3 tested and we let them grow till day 5 and froze them. Day 3 testing revealed that only 3 females were ok.  I demanded testing on the frozen bladtocysts. Those 3 females did develop into the blasts, but when they were retested, only 1 was ok. Other embryos that were found abnormal on day 3 had a normal male bladtocyst.
    Personally, i would always choose day 5. Why to put yourself through 12 week testing and God forbid abortion? It would tire you physically and psychologically. It is better to prevent.

Online Liz3511

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 9/01/19, 15:06 »
    My clinic only offers NGS PGS at day 5 for reasons of accuracy (e.g. if an embryo is mosaic, can make a better informed decision about transferring or not) and also because it is much less likely to damage the embryo as fewer cells are removed as a proportion of all cells.

I'm so sorry for your loss  ^hugme^

Offline CurlyGirl1225

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 19/01/19, 16:09 »
    My clinic sent me some info on the statistics and finding between a D3 and D5 biopsy. Not much they’ve honestly said. Yes it’s a more in depth test but statistically they are similar on Live Birth rates. And let’s face it that’s the figure we’re all interested in.

So they have suggested a fresh round and D3 testing so I can have a blast D5 transfer if they get that far.

Still not sure on PGS at all but thought that was interesting. It avoids freezing which is where we’ve lost embryos before.