* Author Topic: IVF add on treatments in the news today  (Read 777 times)

0 Members

Offline CurlyGirl1225

• Gold Member
modify
IVF add on treatments in the news today
« on: 15/01/19, 13:15 »
Hi

I just wondered what you thought of the lastest study from the HFEA in the news today saying that many IVF add on treatments are inconclusive?

This is because Iím debating pgs

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline asinglerose

modify
    « Reply #1 on: 15/01/19, 13:28 »
    I think there are a lot of discussions about pgs testing on here. Just like among scientists, I donít think thereís consensus. In theory, it should pretty much ensure a healthy pregnancy. In reality, it seems to improve the odds but definitely no guarantees. There are people who have implanted embryos that were said to be abnormal that turned into perfectly healthy babies. But there are others who didnít have any luck till they transferred a pgs tested embryo.

My personal take - if you have a lot of fertilized embryos and you want a better shot at transferring an embryo with the highest odds of success AND you have egg quality/sperm quality issues, I would do it. That is, if money isnít an issue. If moneyís a problem, you might be better off putting that money towards more cycles. Thatís just my two cents.

I do otherwise think that clinics are business. Businesses exist to maximize profit. Think very carefully about what is really necessary in your case. Otherwise the temptation will always be there to try everything. Clinics know someone desperate to have a child will do almost anything to improve the odds of success.

Offline CurlyGirl1225

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 15/01/19, 14:52 »
    Thank you. Thereís so much more it there to sway me either way.

For our last round of ivf we may get 5 good embryos but after pgs my estimate is only 2. Thatís what we had in our last 2 cycles.

So Iím thinking try 4-5 rounds rather than 2

Plus I had a pregnancy last year that had to be terminated. That was a donor egg and pgs testing. So what did pgs do for us.

Offline Cloudy

• Volunteer
    • Gotta keep dancin' ducky!
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 15/01/19, 15:32 »
    I have seen the news and to be honest having had a lot of consultations from various UK and European clinics and never really felt any additional/extra treatment was mid-sold. In fact many were brutally honest about the evidence, or lack of, concerning the treatment options.

We considered PGS as I carry a dodgy chromosome. However we decided against it based on the fact that I would expect 2-6 blasts, and that I would have double embryo transfer (as it was our 5th transfer and I was close to turning 35). If I was going to do single transfer, or expected loads of blasts, I would have gone with PGS.

Iím sorry your pregnancy ended in loss and I hope that you you are supported xxx

Offline CurlyGirl1225

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 15/01/19, 16:21 »
    Hi

Iím sure you are glad you did then!  Did you ever find out if your other twin was linked to the chromosome issue. Iím so sorry to hear about this.  It must have been awful.

Offline asinglerose

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 15/01/19, 17:16 »
    CurlyGirl1225,

Sorry about your pregnancy. Fingers crossed things go better for you no matter what you choose to do. I think it's so hard to know what to do as there's no definite path that guarantees success.

All the best!

Offline erna_mil

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 22/01/19, 19:18 »
    CurlyGirl1225, I think it's a good idea to try more than two rounds. Good luck.