* Author Topic: BFP - Due Date September/October 2019  (Read 14965 times)

0 Members

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
modify
BFP - Due Date September/October 2019
« Reply #180 on: 23/05/19, 15:25 »
Cloth nappies consist of 3 "bits": an outer layer/cover: I always had "plastic" covers: these make sure wet does not pass straight to clothes. Wool "overpants" exist to, but I felt they took more maintenance (never tried them, though). (Very important to check no part of the "inside" is peeping from under the nappy, or things might get wet)
The "cloth" bit: for absorption; this can be pre-shaped (like bamboozle), or simplest form is some terry toweling folded into "nappy shape", or in a rectangle of cloth that is used to line your cover (eg totsbots peenut).
On the inside is a liner (often some sort of paper-like sheet): this is used to dispose of "solid" nappy content (up till solid intake starts the output tends not to be very solid either, i did use them then, but they were less effective ;-) ). Many of these liners claim to be flushable, but you need to be sure the drains in your house can take it (I never dared to try, so just chucked it in bin-can smell a bit). Some of these liners can be washed a few times if just wet.
The differences in cloth nappies is shape, how they are "assembled" and "closed". Some have outer and absorption layers in one (" all-in-one"), in some outer and absorption layer are completely seperate (bamboozles), and some are in between: for washing and drying you can seperate the two, but reattach them before putting on baby (eg. Close parents pop-ins).
Most sorts have some kind of "booster" you can insert or add (especially for night or bigger kids).
Which nappy "style" you prefer is personal. Or you can "mix" (day vs night, at home or out,...). I think my favourite is close parent (snap in), at the end of the run, but bamboozle very close second (two part system).

About washing: think of new towels: they do not dry properly, I prefer them after a wash or two. Same goes for cloth nappies. Some claim it takes up to 10 washes to get " optimal" absorption. This is also the reason you should never use  fabric softeners on cloth nappies: they coat the fibers and decrease absorption.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #181 on: 23/05/19, 18:04 »
    Oh, and re midwife vs consultant: system here works a bit differently. I think there are good midwives and "bad" ones. Same for consultants: I would rather have a good midwife than a bad consultant ;-). For follow up I do not think there is much difference. Midwife might even be better trained to give general info (health advice,...) than consultant. At delivery it is the midwife who follows you through labour, and will call for help (consultant) when she feels there is a problem, whatever setting you are in. Where I live they usuamly also call consultant to "catch the baby", although there is no reason why midwife could not do it herself.

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    • Infertility veteran since 2011! BFN princess :)
    modify
    « Reply #182 on: 24/05/19, 15:18 »
    thanks godiva
    that's really helpful

ok that's put my mind at rest regarding MW led care. I wasn't even sure if there would be a cons on hand if anything went wrong, so that's good that there will  be
    xx

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #183 on: 24/05/19, 19:00 »
    Midwives can not handle everything on their own, but are trained to identify (potential) problems, where help needs to be called somehow.

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #184 on: 26/05/19, 11:39 »
    Thanks again godiva
    Always a wealth of knowledge. I feel better now about being MV led

I know i shouldn't moan as it took me yrs to get here but im just struggling so much with this pregnancy.
    I now can't seem to do anything without getting out of breath
    I have to take the stairs 1 step at a time and stop to pant halfway up.
    When im at the top a have to collapse on my bed gasping. Yesterday in the shower i thought i was gonna pass out. Doing anything like cleaning, dinner, tidying is now a major feat. Im finding myself grabbing surfaces to steady myself. Im seriously thinking of getting a walking stick!
    Consultant said all normal and only a concern if there is chest pain.
    Im not looking 4 advice here really i just need to get it off my chest x

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #185 on: 26/05/19, 21:28 »
    Had another email from start4life again, with a more accurate response to you question about midwife led units. Apparently there are 2 sorts: in hospital, and out of hospital: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/where-can-i-give-birth/ . Another possibly usefull link: https://www.which.co.uk/birth-choice/where-to-give-birth

And do not worry about feeling guilty about complaining, I think we all do... I have had difficulty (well, out of breath) going up stairs since first trimester. My dizziness/light headedness is better (only when getting up too fast from crouching or sitting on the floor, something you tend to do more with a toddler around ;-) ). Fatigue still remains quite a major thing, dh does not always get it... . Cleaning takes more effort, so I get less done, meaning I just can not catch up on back log from first trimester. Dh does try to hoover etc sometimes, but tends to hoover around things (table legs, chairs, toys...) - meaning I tend to have to redo part of the work if it needs a thorough clean. Don't dare critisize to much, as it might discourage him from doing anything.

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #186 on: 28/05/19, 16:08 »
    Had 20 w scan today. All seems okay. Baby measuring on track. No major abnormalities, but I do seem to have a bilobate placenta - a placenta in two seperate bits.. This meant they had to scan vaginally too. Luckily there do not seem to be any bits of placenta or vessels too close to the cervix (so I do not need to plan a c-section yet). They just need to make sure both bits of placenta come out after delivery and I have a slightly higher risk of bleeding (according to dr Google). They measired cervix while they were down there, and it seemed fine.
    Next small scare was when I got one + on urine test for glucose, but according to OB it was just my jam sandwich from lunch, and nothing to worry about. Routine OGTT in about 6 weeks (still need to make appointment).

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #187 on: 29/05/19, 12:17 »
    thanks for the links I had a look , was interesting.

glad your 20 wk went well. oh that's interesting about 2 separate placentas. I've never heard of that! good they did cervix measurement. I meant to ask for that at last scan but forgot. luckily I go back next week so may ask then

don't get me started on DH 'trying' to clean. not worth it  ;D

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #188 on: 4/06/19, 12:38 »
    Is anyone using a Maternity pillow? It's a long wrap around pillow which apparently helps you sleep.

If so where did u buy yours from?
    I've tried to buy 1 twice .from amazon and then asda
    Both times I have been let down and it hasn't arrived.
    I'd still like one but stuck on where to get 1 from ...

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #189 on: 4/06/19, 13:22 »
    Is anyone using a Maternity pillow? It's a long wrap around pillow which apparently helps you sleep.

If so where did u buy yours from?
    I've tried to buy 1 twice .from amazon and then asda
    Both times I have been let down and it hasn't arrived.
    I'd still like one but stuck on where to get 1 from ...