* Author Topic: BFP - Due Date September/October 2019  (Read 14964 times)

0 Members

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
modify
BFP - Due Date September/October 2019
« Reply #200 on: 9/06/19, 08:14 »
Wishing: Had that dilemma with DD's name too. Our name is a bit longer, but in Dutch (the language DD hears most as we live in a Dutch speaking community) her name is usually abbreviated. In English we use her full name. I now sometimes regret choosing the French spelling (more common around here) instead of the English (or at least an "in between") version. Idea was she would need to explain how to write it less around here. On the other hand, what is one letter (or two).
For current baby we have not agreed anything yet. One name I am thinking of has a very different kind of spelling in Englush and Dutch... Dutch version is one letter different from French (but not fond of the French version), and English version is more like girl's name in French, would not like baby to be teased about that later... Dutch spelling might puzzle English speakers. I don't know, we might end up choosing something completely different after all! Some Irish names I like too, but quite a few of those have less positive connotations where we live. But should we give in to prejudice? Aargh! (At least for baby 2 we do not have to think about surnames anymore).

Oh, and wishing,  just fyi: I would pronounce Mary and Marie differently, but then I suppose I might not be completely representative of an average Brit. How are you planning to pronounce it?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    • Infertility veteran since 2011! BFN princess :)
    modify
    « Reply #201 on: 10/06/19, 10:56 »
    ah thanks ladies  on the pillow advice
    in the end I went to Dunelm and bought one off the shelf. much better than waiting for something to come from the internet only to find it doesn't turn up or is rubbish (my experience of online shopping).
    anyway its a V shaped memory foam probably the best thing I've  ever bought!
    finally had 3 good nights sleep in a row  :)

as for the scanning sago im Ok about it now. and that's interesting to know many of you found a girl easier to spot than a boy.
    Everything im experiencing points to a girl according to old wives tales , bad sickness (thankfully it finally stopped at 22 weeks), extreme sweet tooth, baby had 'round' forehead on scan pic. but I guess that's why they call it old wives tales though!
    obviously im gonna be happy with either

did any of you buy a book about looking after a newborn?
    I work with kids but don't really have a lot to do with newborns. is it something you need to read up on or just play by ear?

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #202 on: 10/06/19, 22:07 »
    Glad you found a pillow that worked!
    I used internet a bit, but mainly just did what felt right. Too much reading (or internet) tends to cause more worries and stress... Basic things I got taught by midwife on delivery (altough cleanig baby's bottom without feet (and everything else) getting covered in poo can still be challenging). Midwife showed how to bathe baby, how to take care of umbilical stump, what to look out for,... (Although admittedly people stay in hospital longer in Belgium: 3 days is current "standard", and was longer until just before DD was born). I also had a " family helper" (partly subsidised) who came regularly first weeks: I could say how frequently I wanted her. She would come for a half day at a time, 1-3 times per week depending on what I felt I needed. She can help with baby (taking care of her if mummy needed a nap eg, answer questions on anything baby and birth related, although no medical advice - I got her to teach me to use a basic baby sling, and waited for her to "supervise" babies first bath at home, as I was unsure how to use my "bany bucket bath thing"). She can also help with day to day chores like cooking, cleaning kitchen, loading or unloading washing (up) machine or a quick hoover. If required she could go to the shops (if you provided cash of course), or pick up older kids from school (or babysit while mum did that). It was nice having someone around in case I was not sure of things.

In general though: do what feels right to you. Some will advocate strict schedules for baby (eating, sleeping,... At fixed times), others just go with the flow. I'm a go with the flow kind of person: worked best for me (even though first 2-3 months it meant it was near impossible to get anywhere on time: when I finally had the energy to get up and go baby was wanting to eat or needing a change or sleeping... (Even worse if DH was an added factor, as he would need to do something just as we were ready to go, and by the time we could finally move baby needed new chznge or feed). Then things got easier, we got the hang of things and we did not need to worry about the exact times of feeds etc. Admittedly this is probably easier with breast fed babies.
    Parenting advice is often very conflicting, with new "rules" being promoted, but old ones not discarded. Eg: no solids and exclusive breastfeeding for first 6 months, but you need to introduce gluten before baby is 6 months... And then you read different books/schools on what "foids" baby can eat from what age and things get even more complicated. And why should pregnant women, breastfeedibg women and babies eat bland stuff? Baby should just get used to some added flavour or spices... (Okay, my daughter is a bit of a fussy eater, i think partly because we gave her baby food from pots for far too long and far too often instead of "proper food".
    Oh, and you can not spoil a newborn. If you want to carry her in a sling all day because it calms her and allows you to get things done: fine. If you want her next to your bed at night to easily feed her at first squeek: fine. If you get better quality sleep with her kn a different room: fine. Oh, and you will wake up in the middle of the night with baby in your arms or bed when both of you dropped off to sleep during a feed (I remember my panic second night when I realised I fell asleep in bed with baby - I had actially rolled awey from her and she was sliding down till she was against my back). Eventually found out tgat if lying on your side with bottom arm at 90 degrees and baby next to you while drinking was a position in which it was near impossible to roll on top of baby.

Offline Wishing4miracles

modify
    « Reply #203 on: 11/06/19, 21:34 »
    @ Godiva, having lived both in the UK and on the continent you are probably more aware of cultural differences and how to pronounce names, like you I would pronounce Marie as a French person would but Mary like an English person, so they sound differently to me, its not just different spelling. I think its quite a niche conundrum to have so I will send you a pm in the next few minutes.

@K Jade, if you are intersted there are free courses run by the NHS staff at the hospital you are registered with, from 20 weeks you can register your interest, the courses are usually after you hit 30 weeks. There are also private courses like the ones run by NCT, which I understand are much better / thorough and smaller groups so more time to look at everything in detail. We are also looking at doing a baby first aid course, hopefully we will never need it but if an emergency should occur, I would like the peace of mind of knowing that I know how to handle it, however this could just be me being a first time parent.
    https://www.nct.org.uk/courses-workshops/antenatal-courses/nct-signature-antenatal?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpKys_qLi4gIVz7vtCh3DUQTgEAAYASAAEgIcnfD_BwE

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #204 on: 23/06/19, 22:32 »
    24 weeks today... Baby considered viable! Another milestone. Was a bit worried at beginning of the week as kicks seemed less frequent and less strong, but just as panic was mounting baby got active again, and has been very much alive and kicking since. (Additional worry due to DD accidentally kicking my belly during swimming lessons day earlier, bit then baby was pretty active rest of the day). Probably just due to position or something. DH got to feel kicks for the first time this week too!
    Start of a heatwave over here. Will be happy at work as most locations have aircon...
    How is everyone else doing?

Offline firefly37

modify
    « Reply #205 on: 25/06/19, 10:20 »
    Wonderful news Godiva - I reach the same milestone in 4 days and cannot wait  ;D ... My DS often bangs against my bump or wants to climb up me or over me - LOL - The joys of a crazy toddler!!!  He still believes that his baby sister is growing in his belly bless him!!

My little girl is pretty active and hasnt given me cause for concern - i lay still in the morning and she always pokes about after a few minutes, i feel her quite a bit during the day and then again at night before going to sleep.  I havent needed my doppler for a few weeks now  :)

Its currently really hot and muggy here just outside of London ... I am currently at work with two fans blasting on me  :-\

Hoping everyone else is doing well xx

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #206 on: 2/07/19, 09:20 »
    Yeah, firefly, toddlers can be a handful, sitting on, jumping on or leaning on belly...

Sitting here during my OGTT. I'm hungry! Only another 1.5 hours to go. With firstvthey just did challenge test (one hour), but apparently they do 2 hour OGTT for everyone now.
    Where I live you usually have a third scan at 32 weeks. As I will be away week 31 and 32 my OB suggested to do a scan at 29 w (when I have my next appointment), and possibly repeat at 35 if necessary. Hoping I might get 3D image of baby at 29... Depends whether sonographer is prepared to bend rules slightly :-).

Offline Wishing4miracles

modify
    « Reply #207 on: 2/07/19, 20:57 »
    Glad everyone is doing well  :)

The heatwave at the weekend wasnt funny at all, so relieved temperatures are more sensible.

24 weeks so thrilled at viability - though Im aware its only 40% now but will be 90% at 28 weeks so looking forward to that. Every milestone is worth celebrating on this journey  :)

I'm doing ok, apart from tiredness and Ive started to creak a bit at times when I move, Im guessing ligaments. DH can feel her a bit more now when shes moving and i think shes mastered doing streches or star jumps or something in there because sometimes i can feel her move in two places at the same time which is funny and strange :) The nursery is now empty and dhs been removing old wallpaper etc so thats all exciting.

This may sound strange but at times I look at my belly - which is now slightly moving when she is - and although I know whats happening, I think I still darent hope for a happy ending until I finally hold her in my arms in a few months. I guess when you've wanted something so much for so long, its hard to dare believe that its finally hapening if this makes sense.

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    • Infertility veteran since 2011! BFN princess :)
    modify
    « Reply #208 on: 3/07/19, 13:14 »
    congrats to everyone who has made 24 weeks ^milestone^

im now 27 and it seems to be going very quickly. compared to 1st trimester which dragged cause I was so ill

just wandered has anyone had restless leg syndrome?
    mine has been really had and is stopping me sleeping.

also is anyone else craving frozen fruit? im eating it by the bucket load. I assume its OK and not harmful. been having pineapple, mango, berries, etc

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #209 on: 3/07/19, 16:49 »
    No restless legs here, but definitely more cramps in legs in the evening. Especially when I have been walking/cycling a lot.

Frozen fruit sounds quite a healthy craving to have :-) (although they do contain quite a bit of sugar).
    2nd trimester has quite a few milestones, by 2nd half of third you just want baby to come on out ;-)

Baby's activity levels seem to vary a lot here, some days quite vigorous and often, others less often and gentler. Also some pain in right hip when I have been sitting a lot, but can not stand a lot either as it gets uncomfortable in back and lower belly. Wondering whether I should get some kind of maternity belt, but do not really fancy more stuff to wear in this heat... Oh well, I had better just harden up and rejoice in the joys of pregnancy :-)