* Author Topic: First PGD cycle - Oxford  (Read 770 times)

0 Members

Offline nai87

• Un-Ranked
modify
First PGD cycle - Oxford
« on: 9/02/19, 21:57 »
I hope that it is okay to post this diary here as I think I need it more for my own sanity than anything else. It would be nice to write down what is happening as it happens as a way to let off some IVF steam.

So we are currently doing PGD with Oxford Fertility (to avoid Huntingtons Disease). After a lengthy wait for things to finally get started (due to a lot of blood tests and not being able to get a blood test on a particular day in my cycle), I am pleased that we have been able to start on my February period. So I started injecting gonal f on the 6th and this morning I started injecting the Cetrotide injections as well. I was terrified of the injections (as I expect everyone is) but I was pleasantly surprised that the gonal f needle is so thin that I can barely feel it. The Cetrotide was a bit more of a faff as it is the one that is a powder that has to be mixed with a liquid, I got the hang of the mixing but after jabbing myself I realised that the plunger was too stiff me to push in. Thankfully the boyfriend was on hand to do the honours instead! I have two scans booked for next week at their Swindon clinic so I guess we will have to wait and see how things are progressing with the drugs and what changes may have to be made. It is exciting and terrifying all at the same time really, just trying to think as positively as I can.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline nai87

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    First PGD cycle - Oxford
    « Reply #1 on: 2/08/19, 16:27 »
    I have been so busy with one thing and another (getting married takes up a lot of time), that I haven't had much chance to update this diary. We went to Oxford at the end of February for egg collection. It didn't take very long but I was in severe pain following the collection for abut a week! But they did take a lot of eggs from me, and after a lot of nail biting, we finally heard that we had five normal HD free embryos.

We put off having an embryo implanted until after the wedding, but now we are going full steam ahead for this cycle. I have done the 7 days of injections and am now just on 3 a day pessaries until the implantation in a couple of weeks. I am not a fan of the pessaries that is for sure, I don't know why but I hate doing them. I much preferred the injections, who knew I would be saying that! So now it is just waiting to go to my scan in Swindon on Monday, and seeing what they will have to say about my lining, hopefully by now it is starting to thicken up. Let's cross our fingers!

Offline nai87

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    First PGD cycle - Oxford
    « Reply #2 on: 6/08/19, 11:22 »
    So my Swindon scan went well and my lining is looking lovely and thick, they told me that I won't need to go back for any other scans which I was very pleased to hear! I felt as thought I was living there when I had my scans in February. I had a call from Oxford to arrange the embryo transfer, which will be on Monday, apparently this will only be a half hour appointment which is great. And then after that is the famous two week wait, which I know is going to be very hard. I have two start with another lot of 3 a day pessaries on Wednesday ready for the transfer, so much fun for me and my great love of pessaries! And I have taken them out of the box, these ones are unexpectedly huge, still it will all definitely be worth it in the end if we get a positive result.  ;D

Offline nai87

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    First PGD cycle - Oxford
    « Reply #3 on: 16/08/19, 11:35 »
    So I went to Oxford and had my embryo transferred on Monday. The lady from the lab said that my embryo had survived the thaw with no issues and had also started to hatch out of its shell, both good signs apparently! It was over in half an hour, but feels so weird to think that I have this embryo inside of me. I hope it is finding my womb a lovely warm place to snuggle into and grow. I have everything crossed now as I so can't wait to meet them.

Offline nai87

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    First PGD cycle - Oxford
    « Reply #4 on: 22/07/20, 11:11 »
    It has been a long time since I updated this page and I wanted to say that I know how lucky I am to have gotten a positive result. And little miracle was born on 30/04/2020. Good luck to everyone still trying!