* Author Topic: Sperm Donor has Diabetes  (Read 652 times)

0 Members

Offline Becky30

• Un-Ranked
modify
Sperm Donor has Diabetes
« on: 10/02/19, 22:52 »
Hi  :),
I hope this is in the right part. So I was talking to a sperm donor, he's 43 and lives not too far away. I thought he seemed great but then he told me he has type 2 Diabetes. I've had a look and it came up with fertility issues. Does it mean he definitely will have some fertility issues?. Would it take longer? I really would love to have a child, i'm almost 35, so I'm feeling the pressure more.

Thanks
Becky

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline staceysm

• Gold Member
    modify
    Sperm Donor has Diabetes
    « Reply #1 on: 11/02/19, 10:17 »
    Hi,

As far as I am aware, type 2 is more to do with lifestyle, i.e; poor diet, over weight.  Type 1 is more serious and could affect fertility.

Hopefully someone will come along who is more knowledgeable.

I wish you all the best on your journey.
    X

Offline Aley

modify
    Sperm Donor has Diabetes
    « Reply #2 on: 11/02/19, 10:47 »
    Hi Becky,

Our sperm donor has type 2 diabetes, although a bit younger (30) and I got pregnant on my third try of home insemination, really it was the first time we had the ovulation right.
    Previously we had fertility treatment (ivf) and home insemination with sperm donors from a sperm clinic that were supposed to be all healthy and top quality sperm but didnít get pregnant.
    Type 2 diabetes can have some effects on sperm quality to some extent but it depends on a case to case basis.
    If youíre worried you can do some basic sperm analysis but even that might not tell you much.
    Our sperm donor took some vitamins for improving quality and was trying to be healthier.
    We never tested his sperm but obvs, it did the job.

Offline Me, Myself and I

• Gold Member
    • Single Mother By Choice
    modify
    Sperm Donor has Diabetes
    « Reply #3 on: 11/02/19, 21:16 »
    Hi
    Can I offer an alternative stance?
    I used a sperm bank so different but same principle.
    I discounted any health issue, even down to wearing glasses. That included parents, siblings and grandparents.
    Maybe extreme but my pov was i wouldn't want to knowingly increase risks of a condition given we can't control much, sonreduce the odds.
    With a diabetic I would be more worried about potential for increased health issues in the baby due to genetic heritage.
    You're not in a relationship with this diabetic donor, so why not look for the best potential donor for your child?

Fwiw my baby had health issues and I would have felt far worse had I opted for a donor with health issues as when that's your baby you question everything. I couldn't change my genetic input but I could the other 50%.