Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Over 50's Ladies - Part 4

141K views 445 replies 66 participants last post by  Babiblue 
#1 ·
New home ladies  ^fairydust^

Happy chatting  ^gossip^

#2 ·
Here's Hoping this thread will inspire and encourage women over 50 to go for thier dream of having a baby!!

It's the most wonderful thing that I have ever experienced.

My little girl is now 4, and such a delight (I gave birth Age 57).

She truly makes life worth living.

Good luck ladies and never give up on your dream.

Morganna xx

#3 ·
Thanks for your replies to my questions.
I've been to my dr about getting the hrt. (Oestrogen patch and progesterone) but they seem completely confused about the situation due to the fertility treatment as well and have gone off to ask a gyny.
I'm not sure whether I should start it or not, but the clinic in Greece said it would keep the uterus in shape.
I will have a look at CARE. I was thinking of going abroad again because of more availability of egg donors.

#4 ·
I’m in the combined pill for the exact same reasons albatross, to keep my uterus in shape and working  :)

#6 ·
Albatross, if it's Greece, you probably have cyclo-progynova. It has the oestrogen pills(white color) and the brown pills (progesterone). You start with the white pills which are I believe 10 - for ten days, then take each of the brown pills for the next 11 days. Then you stop and after 3 -4 days, you get a bleed. Your clinic would have told you when to start the ivf treatment....either from day 2, day 3 or day 4 of your bleed. ..or indeed whether you are going to do another cycle of cyclo-progynova.

#7 ·
Goodevening ladies, a question: I was on Progynova (a start of a new cycle), but after 12 days the endometrium desintegrated.
The clinic advised me to complete Progynova for 21 days and stop. I don't have to add Utrogestan.
Is this right, and is this the best decision before a new start, or should I have add a Progesterone?

#8 ·
Channa if it were me I would add progesterone, not sure it will make any difference and you’ll get a bleed but I wouldn’t like to do unopposed estrogen, I would start the progesterone now as it’s about when you would in a natural cycle, I would want to mimick a natural cycle as best I could. Sorry you had this happen.

#10 ·
Hi Morganna
Great to see you posting again Morganna and I'm so happy that you are enjoying your little girl.
I remember you posting with updates about your cycle when I was cycling with my first baby. You were an inspiration to me, confirmation that us older ladies can be mums!

#11 ·
Hi ladies
Well today I’m heading to Spain for my treatment using one of my day 5 embies (FET)  - clinic tomorrow for hormone blood test and scan to check how lining is coming along. I’m traveling on my own as DH couldn’t take time off so a week of rest, books and Netflix! Nervous and excited in vety equal measures x

#12 ·
Good luck Betty, try and keep us updated on your progress  :)

#13 ·
Lots of luck to you, Betty. I had my little boy following a FET in Spain. He's 6 now :)

Maggie x

#15 ·
Albatross  I missed your last question to me sorry,  I’m taking lenest 30ed and yes I take it then have a bleed then start cycle, although I have been taking it since January and will keep on taking it until I decide to cycle.

#16 ·
Hello.  It's been a very long time - years - since I last logged in.  I'm sorry I haven't caught up with anyone's story yet (I do hope to very soon) but meanwhile may I just wish everyone the best of luck in making the progress they're looking for.

A couple of years back I'd been trying some embryo banking (with own eggs as it happens).  Gradually and eventually I managed to freeze 4 x day 3 embryos (at Create, St Pauls).  Then for various reasons - stress, no money, becoming peri-menopausal (yeah, slightly inconvenient that last one) I ground to a halt about this time last year. My periods are now very erratic, so my original plan to try a natural/non-medicated FET has sadly gone out the window.  I do still want to try a couple of frozen embryo transfers with the embryos I've got in storage, but it'll have to be via a medicated FET cycle, which I'm worried about (i.e. that it might be less likely to succeed).

Of course I'm desperate for this to work  ^pray^, but if it doesn't, then DP and I have agreed, however sadly and reluctantly, that would have to be it now.  We won't move on to any other type of treatment or another way of extending our family.

I'm about to get in touch with Create to re-start the process towards having an FET.  I'm actually terrified, not least because I'm now 49.8  :'(
The point being, if I need to try 2 (or even 3) FETs, then I won't get all of those done before my 50th birthday.  I don't know what the clinic policy is on age, but I have an awful sneaking suspicion that it might be 50th birthday.  Again, whether they'd have any discretion over treatment with embryos already in storage with them, I've no idea.

Could any of you lovely ladies please stop me freaking out and losing the plot completely?!  Does anyone know of any UK-based clinic(s) that will treat above 50th birthday?  If so, then I wonder if I could get my embryos transferred to that clinic for the purpose of an FET.  London or Midlands would be best if there's a choice.

Thank you in advance x

#17 ·
Hi beside the sea, Deb’s clinic treats over 50 so I’m sure she will pop in soon and give you more info on that.  :)

#18 ·
I'll do that Stacey!
Beside the sea - some UK clinics will treat about 50, so don't panic. I'm with CARE and they treat up to the age of 53, although you need to undergo some medical tests such as ECG, blood tests, cervical screening, and mammogram. I believe that LWC will also treat up to 53, or 54.
Good luck

#20 ·
Just a quick update ladies - arrived safely and had bloods done all is good,scan showed lining is now at 10 so they was very pleased with that. Got another blood test tomorrow and transfer on Monday at 11.15 - they will thaw the first one and if that’s ok will use that one and if not will thaw another / just hoping the first one is ok x

#23 ·
Betty21 good luck!

Many thanks for the advice Stacey10 and Deblovescats! Deb - would all CARE clinics treat above 50 do you know? Or just a particular one - and if so which? Sorry for all the questions.

#24 ·
good luck Betty!!!!

#25 ·
Beside the seaside - yes, I understand it's a national policy for CARE, up to 53.
Good luck for transfer betty
Millie - I think all clinics offer embryo adoption, but I think it depends on whether there are any to offer. I did double donation with an egg sharer.
Now for an update for me, girls  - I'd requested a prescription for either the pill or HRT from the clinic rather than going to GP as the one who was supportive as now left, and I didn't want to face another who maybe doesn't agree with my plans! Good news, the doctor I saw at CARE has done me a prescription for the pill and they won't me to take it for 3 months and then go to transfer after building up the lining. My plan is to start it in May as I'm going on holiday to Malta in April and thought it was better to avoid risk of potentially a DVT on the pill. That would mean I'd be ready to go for transfer in either July or August, so feeling excited about this now! I feel that I have a plan in place. It would also mean that if it works, my son will be nearly 6 by the time the baby would be born and my daughter 3 1/2 so both more independent! Fingers crossed everyone.

#26 ·
Dear Ladies,

I hope i am typing in the right place ,I was wondering if I could ask our advice.

Conceived naturally aged 44 but my baby girl was stillborn (edwards syndrome) totally devastated.
Continued trying naturally and had 3 miscarriagies very early.
eventually found parttners sperm extreme high DNA fragmentation and had looked at donor option.

Found donor embryos in uk clinic and had 2 transfers last year, june -negative result
2 transfer oct chemical pregnancy.
had scratch both times and steriods for high nk cells each time.

totally gutted as was confident and relaxed and my gut instinct had been to chose an uk cinic so I had nformation for chilren when turned 18.

My relationship has since failed as he said it was just too hard.can not believe I spent 12 years with someone for them to say this.
Am heart broken and trying to get myself back on track.

How did you ladies chose your clinic abroad? I have been looking at spain and greece,
what helped you decide where/which clinic was for you?
what questions to ask.?

finances are a problem as I am now in debt.
I am so far away from where I thought I would be at this time of my life.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you in advance
Jen  x