* Author Topic: Over 50's Ladies - Part 4  (Read 32015 times)

0 Members

Offline miamiamo

• Gold Member
modify
Over 50's Ladies - Part 4
« Reply #60 on: 14/04/19, 11:21 »
Inaaya - wonderful news, congrats! xo

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline sweetpea17

modify
    « Reply #61 on: 25/04/19, 16:10 »
    Hi Ladies
    I just have a question about tests at 12 week scan
    I am pregnant after my second FET in Cyprus (the first one last year went wrong after a few weeks)
    I have my midwife appointment tomorrow and 12 week scan in a couple of weeks. I understand that we are asked at the 12 week scan whether to have certain tests eg Downs and a couple of others -nuchal tests I think.

The 7 week scan was fine-saw a heartbeat so hoping that it is still good

Have ladies had these tests-what is the recommendations?

Thanks
    SP

Offline Clarabelle71

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #62 on: 25/04/19, 16:32 »
    Congrats sweetpea. I know itís still nervous days at the beginning but not long until the scan. I had just the nuchal one where the take measurements , baby moved so much I had to return a week later. I didnít opt for the amniocentesis as didnít want a risk and thought odds were good with de baby wouldnít have it. I donít know standard tests in UK as I live in Canada. X

Offline betty21

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #63 on: 25/04/19, 19:18 »
    Hi sweet pea - i also have my booking in appointment with the midwife next week when I will be 9 weeks and I have booked in to have the Iona test at 10.5 weeks so if all comes back ok I wonít bother having the test at 12 weeks and will just have the usual scan instead - I did the same in my last pregnancy and felt it was pointless having it when Iona came back good. Feeling very tired and feel sick at odd times day and night - I had a scan at 7 weeks and saw a heartbeat and now my clinic for some reason have requested I have another scan next week so I have booked that in for Tuesday- x

Offline Stacey10

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #64 on: 25/04/19, 20:49 »
    Hey sweet pea congratulations, I was wondering how you were getting on since your last post on the dogus thread last year.  :)

Offline deblovescats

• Gold Member
    • 2 BFNs 2012, DS 2014, DD 2016
    modify
    « Reply #65 on: 26/04/19, 00:39 »
    Congratulations Sweetpea and betty. For both my pregnancies, I opted for the screening tests at 12 weeks - nuchal scan and blood tests to check for Downs, Edwards, Patau but would not have chosen amnio. I was open about the donor aspect and it's important that you give the donor's age if using donor eggs, as otherwise the risks will be higher, calculated on birth mum's age. My results came back low risk, so didn't get offered amnio, but would have declined anyway.
    Due to my age, I was consultant led care and was offered more scans after 24 weeks to check growth, but I didn't mind as it gave me more chances to see baby!

Offline Clarabelle71

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #66 on: 26/04/19, 03:43 »
    Yes thatís right I forgot there was blood tests for that too and I gave the donorís age for calculations which I believe they looked at for nuchal screening too. My tests had to be sent off so didnít get results right away.

I got extra care later on because of age and maybe as it was ivf. I also got gestational diabetes so there were a lot of appointments.

Congrats both sweetpea and betty. Wishing smooth and easy pregnancies for you. X

Offline Tincancat

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #67 on: 26/04/19, 06:21 »
    Congratulations Sweetpea.  At 12 weeks you are offered a rather outdated NHS screening blood test and nuchal fold scan.  This gives a risk factor only as it is not diagnostic. It it's comes out higher risk result then you are offered the more invasive CVS or amniocentesis.  However there is now a much better screening tests (NIPT) available which is almost considered diagnostic as it looks at foetal DNA in mum's blood.  There are lots of companies which do NIPT such as Nifty and Harmony.  At the moment you generally have to pay for NIPT but some areas of UK they are starting to use them for older ladies.  I had NIPT as DE doesn't guarantee a baby doesn't have Down's it is just a lower risk but Patau and Edwards can occur sporadically at any age.  The NIPT generally only test for those three conditions.  It's all your choice but I'd advise NIPT if you want to do a screening at all.  In my opinion the NHS test causes more worry and anxiety because it's not an accurate enough test.
    TCCx

Offline sweetpea17

modify
    « Reply #68 on: 28/04/19, 10:55 »
    HI Ladies
    Congrats to Betty too

Thanks for all your responses. Yes I will be consultant led too.
    The midwife said it will be a blood test at the 12 week scan and the nuchal test on baby but I think thats just then looking at the scan and taking a measurement-it's not invasive in any way. She did not mention about the amniocentesis test which I would not be comfortable with anyway.

What is the IONA test Betty? Not heard of that
    So I just have to decide whether to go for the blood tests on me or not. I have heard of the NIPT test too which is supposed to be very good ie accurate. At how many weeks can we have the NIPT test?

My donor was 22 so quite young but I know thats not a guarantee for anything.

After what happened last time I just pray that it wil be a healthy baby scan  at the 12 week -was great to see the heartbeat at 7 weeks
    SP
    X

Offline Stacey10

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #69 on: 28/04/19, 11:38 »
    Sweet pea not sure about the uk but the bloods taken at 12 wks from you go hand in hand with the nuchal scan so you need to do both. The nipt has lots of different names demoending on which company you choose, so the iona, harmony etc, they can usually be done from about 9-10 wks depending on which one you do, some of them donít work with de or embryo so if you decide to do that then make sure you pick one that does.