* Author Topic: Donor sperm for second baby but husbands sperm for first  (Read 804 times)

0 Members

Offline Sarah1712

• Gold Member
I just wanted views and advice. We have had 2 ivf tx with icsi and second go was successful and have a little boy. We would like to try again but dont have the money or same amount of flexibility in time as we did 4 years ago.
We have discussed doing iui with a sperm donor but i have no idea how this work, how successful it is, costs and even if its something i want to do.
We went to the argc for both our previous tx and the 15k is just not an option so i just need thoughts and advice

Sarah

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Me, Myself and I

• Gold Member
    • Single Mother By Choice
    If it was only male factor, and you know that you ovulate, then you could try home insemination?

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    Haven't you got frosties left? I think an FET us cheaper then iui. Donor sperm is not cheap either, and 3 iui's will cost about same as 1 IVF with about same chance of succes (statistically). Best to check out prices thoroughly first. And if course both be mentally prepared and agreed on this... Quite a decisiin, do not underestimate it.

Offline Sarah1712

• Gold Member
    No we didnt get any frosties so thats not an option. Perhaps will look at other clinics.

Thanks for your reply x

Offline HopefulKayte

• Gold Member
    I would say take a leap with what you can (mostly) afford and what will give you the best chance of success. We have a boy aged 6 from own eggs/sperm and are finally and thankfully expecting our second after 5 more years of cycles. Eventually what brought us success was using both donor egg and sperm. So this baby feels just the same as the last pregnancy to my husband and me, and our son is beyond excited, but will be in our lives due to a different path. In hindsight we paid for and hung in for so long doing OE cycles and could be in a much different spot had we transitioned earlier to other and more pragmatic ways of thinking. As many know though, all in due time and you just never know in this journey!