* Author Topic: TTC #2 by IUI after successful IVF (x6) - Single, 34  (Read 3219 times)

0 Members

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
Well, here I am! Anyone interested can read about my looooooooooong history on this site, but the short version is that after 6 IVF cycles, my son was finally born in May 2018, and I knew from the moment he was placed on my chest that I would go through it all again for another one - in fact I told my mum as much at that very moment  ;D

And here I am, with a 10 month old and getting back on the fertility train! Only this time, I'm hoping to avoid IVF, both for sanity and financial reasons.

Today I had my consultation with the same clinic, paid for my slot, and tomorrow I have my treatment planning appointment (talk about whirlwind!) The consultant's recommendation is natural IUI for the first go, but I can also go for menopur also (I'm still deciding, my cycles are a bit erratic right now so may be better to do menopur instead)

So here I go! Who knows whether IUI is the right choice for me, it could end up being a waste of money and I end up doing IVF at the end of the year after all (my plan b) but for now it means I'm not dropping 5000 on a cycle, nor do I have to tell anyone in real life that I'm cycling. I'd love nothing more than to be able to surprise my family and friends which I wasn't able to do before.

I keep telling myself that plenty of properly infertile women get surprise natural BFPs after giving birth, so I'm holding onto some kind of hope...to my surprise, despite everything I went through to get my son my consultant said that I wasn't considered 'infertile' today, just lacking sperm and with a string of bad luck apparently!

Any success stories would be greatly appreciated :)

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    modify
    TTC #2 by IUI after successful IVF - Single, 33
    « Reply #1 on: 23/03/19, 20:20 »
    Medicated IUI it is! Treatment planning went well, meds are ordered and paid for and will be delivered next week. IUI starts on my next AF due in a couple of weeks - apparently there's very little wait time for IUI unlike IVF where they only book a set number per week.

All being well, the actual IUI should be done on or around my son's first birthday of all days! Maybe that's a lucky sign? I'm trying not to get too excited or stressed about it, I know that chances are low but I've got 0% chance of pregnancy every month I DONT try, so.... ;)

Baby dust to me please!

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 25/04/19, 22:00 »
    CD1, this is IUI cycle! I'm a strange mixture of excitement and fear which is normal, but definitely exaggerated for me since I know it can work now my son is here. I'm working away tomorrow but will have to call the clinic in the morning to book a scan for Saturday morning, then figure out how to get childcare for all of the scan appointments without raising suspicion (I want to keep this cycle secret and hopefully announce I'm pregnant and surprise people!)

Let's do this!

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 27/04/19, 20:49 »
    Baseline went well, suprecur started tonight and menopur (37.5) starts tomorrow night. First scan end of the week.

I actually felt a pang of relief when I did my shot tonight, almost like I'd really missed it! I honestly can't believe I was ever petrified of needles.
    This time, I'm so busy with my son and work that I'm hoping it'll keep my mind off TTC and I won't become consumed in the whole process as I did before. With any luck, the TWW will fly by and I won't have time to worry about whether it's worked or not.

I so hope this cycle works!

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 5/05/19, 23:08 »
    First scan was Friday, nothing to report. Literally.

Lots and lots of tiny follicles (nurse def says PCO/PCOS) but nothing large enough to measure really. Upped the dose slightly (from 37.5 to 50) and back on Wednesday.

Since I can't afford to go to IVF if I get more than 3 follicles, I'm bracing myself for it to be cancelled.

And you know what? I'm ok with that. I had a panic attack today over trying again - the TTC anxiety doesn't go away once you've had a successful pregnancy apparently. I kept asking myself what I'm doing, how will I manage 2 babies if this cycle works, but how can I waste 1600+ if this cycle DOESNT work, which it probably won't.

I'm so conflicted. I'm feeling horrible about myself (weight-wise) and just overwhelmed by everything. I almost wish that I hadn't tried yet, just waited until next year, but to be honest I think these feelings are just me and would have come about whenever I'd tried.

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 8/05/19, 19:51 »
    ...and that's a wrap on IUI#1  ::) Scan today after 10 days of stims, absolutely nothing. Not a sausage. Just a bunch of PCO cysts (def, def have PCO)

Even my lining was deteriorating, so it was just time to quit before I wasted more money.

I can, theoretically, try again next month she said, but given how anxious I am right now about everything, I think the sensible option is to stop, save money and lose weight, and do IVF in the new year. It seems forever away right now, but time will fly, and hopefully, if I can get my butt into gear and actually lose weight, it'll help big time for stims next time.

PLUS I CAN NOW HAVE A HOLIDAY!

See you in 2020, FF! I'm not quitting, just taking a break and enjoying life with my baby :)

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 13/11/19, 22:50 »
    ...So late in updating this thing! I went back for IUI in October after all and what a difference!

3 days of 150 menopur
    7 days of 75 menopur
    3 days of 37.5 menopur

And you know what? I had too many follicles! I ended up having a follicle reduction under sedation, followed immediately by my IUI (which I remember absolutely nothing of thanks to the sedation, apparently I was very concerned they'd forgotten my sperm when I came around properly  ;D ) I was left with 3 mature follicles waiting for their spermie friends. It's ironic that my IUI cycle on a relatively low dose of stims yielded more eggs than my IVF cycles with much higher doses (usually 375!) So I'm just hoping that means 3 perfect quality eggs rather than 7 pathetically poor ones from my IVF cycles

OTD is a week away but baby #1 has kept me sufficiently busy to keep my mind off it so far

Currently having lots of backache, cramping and my sense of smell is crazy (which was my only real pregnancy symptom before, both times) Yet I can't quite bring myself to believe that it could be possible, that I could be pregnant - after all, 6 IVF stim cycles to get my son, I couldn't possibly be lucky enough to fall pregnant with #2 so easily. I can't bring myself to test yet, so I'll hold out as long as I can. AF is due on OTD anyway so in a week I'll know either way

^pray^

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 15/11/19, 12:25 »
    Shock of the century - BFP!  ^pray^ This little one(s) sticks around

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    How emotional, today I graduated from my fertility clinic! Second scan and baby is looking good so over to midwife from now on

Provided all continues to go well it looks like fertility clinics are now completely in the past for me and I have well and truly beaten infertility. What a feeling!

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    ...aaaand back I came. Baby unfortunately passed away at 10+3 :( Totally shocked and devastated

Will pick up the pieces, save again and try again in a few months