* Author Topic: Single - 25 - IUI  (Read 1169 times)

0 Members

Offline caza-13

• Un-Ranked
modify
Single - 25 - IUI
« on: 9/11/18, 14:09 »
Soo im 25, single, and have always wanted a child. To some this seems like an unusual scenario but from what i've read and seen on this forum this is becoming increasingly popular choice for women not wanting to sacrifice their dreams. So whats lead me to this decision? I want a family but I don't want to wait for it. Yes i would love a family in the traditional sense, but that hasn't happened for me yet and I don't really want to wait as not everyone gets their happy ever after. From reading this forum and seeing ladies struggling to have children later in life its really helped to spur me on and decide not to wait. So that's what i'm doing, taking control of my future. I've not given up hope of meeting the right man, I still want that. But at the moment I want this more.

For as long as i can remember I have always loved children. Although i'm the youngest of my siblings we have always seemed to gain a little person from somewhere. My teenage years I was more interested in baby sitting my godson rather than being out with my peers. So having children has always been on the agenda for me. It wasn't until June this year when i really started looking into actual possibilities. I knew of some friends who had their twins via ivf at bourn hall so that's where I started researching and ended up going.

I hadn't really spoke to anybody about it. I phoned my mum who was actually in Turkey at the time. I told her that I wanted to become a mum and this was how I was going to do it. She was gobsmacked but straight away on board. I've since gone on to tell family and friends of my plans and have received nothing but support and praise. I was expecting somebody to be negative, but i haven't found that yet.

As I am still young with a high amh and no known fertility problems my consultant advised me to try a couple of cycles of IUI and if no joy we could look at trying ivf. At the time I started I was also made aware that there was a shortage of donor sperm available for iui (ivf got the priority.) I found it very hard to pick a donor, in the end I decided to go with an anonymous donor who was tall healthy and no health conditions. Hair colour, eye colour, occupation didn't really affect my decision as in the long run it will be irrelevant to my child and how they are brought up. I used Cryos which delivered directly to the clinic.

For my first cycle I was put onto a treatment plan where first I had to downregulate before then starting my stimulation drugs. This treatment plan is more commonly used in ivf treatment instead of iui. The reason I was given this was with my low age and high amh combined my consultant was concerned I would overstimulate and therefore treatment would be cancelled.

I'm aware that this may not work, and the low rates of success but i am willing to give it a try. By writing this journal I hope to help and inspire other ladies that are maybe thinking of doing this.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline caza-13

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Single - 25 - IUI
    « Reply #1 on: 9/11/18, 16:10 »
    So everything was in place, my treatment plan looked like this:

*14th Sep: day 1
    *14th Sep: day 1
    *4th Oct: day 21- start 50 units suprecur (buserlin) daily between 6-8pm
    *Expect a bleed
    *18 Oct: baseline scan at 11.45
    *19th Oct: start Gonal F and reduce suprecur (buserlin)  to 20 units daily
    *26th Oct: monitoring scan at 1pm

I found the injections easy to do, some days hurt where others I didn't feel a thing. I didn't really feel any side affects as such. After taking the buserlin i would sometimes get a small hot rash, but that disappeared pretty quickly. Some injections left bruises but that's probably down to me rushing doing them at work. But overall I was expecting major side affects and didn't really get any.

The scans i built up in my head to being this major thing, but again i found these fine. Generally the scans are over in a couple of minutes and aren't painful. They can sometimes feel a little strange or uncomfortable but again they were easy and a non issue.  The nurse is looking to see how many and how big your follicles have grown and how thick your lining is.

My first scan went well. Lots of follicles, 13 on one side and 18 on the other with the biggest being 5mm, the lining was nice and thin. My next scan was ok, some growth but not too much however the lining was still thin. I had to keep going back for monitoring scans however each time they didn't really show much growth, even with my dose of gonal f being upped. My lining also wasn't thickening. I found this very disheartening. I was going in for scans every 3rd day and the drive to my clinic is a 3 hour round trip. As I was on Buserlin, this delays your natural cycle so technically I could have continued injecting with the gonal f until the follicles had grown big enough to trigger. However following the consultants advice we decided to cancel this cycle. They advised that I had been injecting with gonal f for 14 days without much progress, the longer i continued I could risk reducing the quality of the egg. It was highly likely that the buserlin had worked too well on me and thats why the follicles were not responding. I was a bit gutted having come that far to have to cancel, but I knew it was the right thing to do. On my next cycle the consultant said we would try without the down reg phase and go straight into gonal f and see how that goes.

Offline caza-13

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Single - 25 - IUI
    « Reply #2 on: 10/11/18, 23:15 »
    Ive been feeling a bit rubbish the past few days but just put it down to my body adjusting to not being on the injections any more. However I was surprised to see period had arrived on thursday afternoon. The nurse's had told me that buserlin could delay my period, however it arrived just 6 days on from when i stopped with my buserlin and gonal f injections, so that was a pleasant surprise. A quick phone call to Bourn Hall Cambridge and managed to book in for a baseline scan 10am friday morning.

This was my 6th or 7th scan I have has, so I feel like a seasoned pro when it comes to these. I definitely feel alot more informed and understand a bit more when the nurses comment on the scans. My first scan the nurse commented that my lining was thin - being a complete newbie to fertitlty in general i had no idea if this was a good or bad thing.

The scan went really well. My lining was nice and thin and lots of follicles. The nurse didn't actually count the amount of follicles, she just measured a few. the largest being a 10mm and a 9mm (this was as big as my largest on my last cycle even after 14 days of stimming. I know buserlin was used to suppress, however i get the feeling it worked, worked way too well for me last time).

The nurse said if they were over 12mm they probably wouldn't have gone ahead, but 10mm was fine. This time I have been given a low dose of gonal f, i have to inject 50 units every day between 6-8 every evening and then go back for a monitoring scan in a weeks time. Depending on the growth they plan to get have me use my trigger shot ovitrelle on the weekend and then insemination on the monday.

Im very hopeful, however with last months cycle being cancelled im well aware of what can happen and the lack of control we have. So fingers crossed fridays scan goes well.

Offline caza-13

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Single - 25 - IUI
    « Reply #3 on: 18/11/18, 14:04 »
    Well Friday's monitoring scan went well, my lining had started to thicken. Still showing lots of small follicle with only 2 big ones which is perfect for iui, if all of the follicles were big and around the same size then the treatment would be cancelled because of the increased risk of multiple pregnancy.  My dominant follicle was measuring at 12, with another around 10. I've got to go back for another monitoring scan on monday, until then the consultant has told me to take my gonal f as follows - 50iui friday, 75iui saturday and then back down to 50 iui sunday.

The nurse hopes that by monday the dominant follicle will have grown to around 15-16 and they will be able to predict further growth and advise me when to use my trigger shot and come in for the insemination. So fingers crossed for tomorrows scan.

Offline caza-13

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Single - 25 - IUI
    « Reply #4 on: 21/11/18, 00:15 »
    So Mondays scan went really well. Two big follicles, i don't think the nurse actually told me the size but I did see one of the measurements and it was 19. When i first saw 2 i got a little anxious that they would cancel however the nurse was happy and we are all set - the nurse did however warn of the potential risks of a twin pregnancy if the insemination is successful.

I had to do my final injection of 50iui gonal f on Monday evening, and then ive had to stay up until midnight Tuesday to do my ovitrelle 250 (trigger injection) Bourn hall will call tomorrow with my confirmed time, then back to the clinic thursday afternoon for the iui.

Fingers crossed

Offline caza-13

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Single - 25 - IUI
    « Reply #5 on: 25/11/18, 16:47 »
    So thursday was official iui day! I stayed up till midnight on tuesday to do my trigger shot, then 36 hours later in for my iui treatment. For the procedure they had asked me to have a relatively full bladder. For me this was especially hard as i have a bit of a nervous bladder combined with a two hour car journey. By the time they called me in I was desperate for a wee, the nurse even mentioned "wow you really do have a full bladder".

The iui itself was over in a blur. I found myself concentrating soo much on the fact i didnt want to wet myself, i almost missed it and forgot to watch the screen. (one nurse used an ultrasound to help the other direct the catheter into the correct place)

I had heard that the procedure was pain free, but for me I found it quite uncomfortable. Im not sure if this was because I had a very full bladder or another reason. However the procedure was over very quickly and i was sent to the waiting room to rest a few minutes and put my feet up. Pain wise, i wouldn't say i was in massive pain, but i did feel overly sensitive to moving and sitting. Like a dull ache with a very bloated sensation in my pelvic area (this lasted for 1 days after, but disappeared on the 2nd day when i woke up)

So now i am officially in the two week wait. I went straight back to work the following day (with no heavy lifting allowed). I have to take progesterone in the form of cyclogest twice a day (no side affects to report yet). my official test date is the 7th December 15 days after. If the test is positive i have to wait another week and test again. If that test is positive then i have been advised to go for an early pregnancy scan at Bourn hall to determine the site of implantation and the viability of the early fetus(es) and whether it is a single or multiple pregnancy. 

So lets hope these next 2 weeks fly by fast.

Offline caza-13

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Single - 25 - IUI
    « Reply #6 on: 11/12/18, 19:45 »
    The first half of the 2ww wasn't too bad. Around maybe day 3-4 i found myself having the odd cramp type feeling. I also had only what i can describe as a pinching pulling feeling low down on my left. Taking the progesterone has been fine, i never seem to manage to get them 12 hours apart but im taking them twice a day morning and evening. 1 week after my iui I flew to Vienna for a short Christmas market city break. Our flight was delayed a few hours however i think i spent most of my morning sitting in the airport toilet with severe period type pains. Luckily no period and we managed to catch our flight and have a few days distraction.

I found the second week the hardest. I really started to feel anxious and was waking up really early in the morning and not being able to sleep. After a couple of nights of this I decided enough was enough. I did 2 poas tests at 3am in the morning (2 days earlier than otd) Both came back as positive!!

As i had tested earlier than the clinic had advised I was cautious as i know traces of the trigger shot can hang around in your system, however I tested multiple days in a row and the 2nd line has only gotten stronger. Im trying not to test every day now, feels like a compulsion like i haven't quite accepted it yet. Final test will be on friday for the clinic, then i can book in for my early scan. Its looking like it will be on the 28th december which will make me exactly 6 weeks pregnant.

Offline caza-13

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Single - 25 - IUI
    « Reply #7 on: 17/03/19, 22:36 »
    I realised i disappeared and never continued with my diary, and that's unfair to anyone who was following, so i'm sorry for that. One would assume i didn't come back to update because it was bad news, however it was quite the opposite for me. I went in for my early scan on the 28th December. I had convinced myself over Christmas that it was going to be bad news. I just didn't feel right, i felt crampy and like my period was due.

Straight away my scan revealed one healthy looking baby (if you can call it that?) all it looked like was a blob on a screen holding what looked like a balloon. The nurse explained that until the placenta is formed the embryo receives all of its nutrients from yolk sac and that's what we were seeing on the screen. The nurse even managed to find a healthy sounding heartbeat.

It felt quite surreal, i had spent so much time thinking something had gone wrong, that it felt hard to get my head around the idea. Since everything was well and good Bourn hall had completed its task and signed me off and sent me on my way with instructions to take my progesterone until 12 weeks and register with nhs.  Turns out 2019 was going to be a good year for me after all

Offline caza-13

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Single - 25 - IUI
    « Reply #8 on: 17/03/19, 22:54 »
    People talk of the 'pregnancy glow' well soo far that didn't happen for me. I spent the next month feeling a bit crap in general. I had flu and headcold and just generally felt run down. I don't think the twice daily progesterone helped, they just seemed to play on my already unpredictable ibs. I spent most of the time feeling bloated and constipated. On the plus side no morning sickness as of yet. I have definitely felt nauseated, but so far haven't been sick.

So on the 22nd January i decided to go for a private scan. i went to a baby bond clinic and had a NIPT test done (non invasive prenatal test). Considering my age is low, i used my own eggs and i have had no bad history with pregnancies this test was completely unnecessary for me, however i decided it wouldn't hurt anything and that maybe seeing the baby and knowing the gender early would help to make it seem more real for me.

The scan itself was amazing, i took my mum with me (shes supported me every step of the way) and we watched this beautiful little baby. We both couldn't believe what we were seeing. I was only 10 weeks 5 days so i hadn't really expected too see much. The baby this time was perfectly formed, you could see everything from the waving hands to the tiny little toes. The baby was even doing little somersaults flipping around in there. I then had my bloods taken for the next step of the test. The nurse was lovely and even put the scan on repeat while she took the bloods.

The results seemed to take forever to arrive. I was checking my emails soo many times a day. I think it was 10 days later when they finally arrived. The results were perfect, low risk on everything they tested for. And for the big reveal... I'm having a baby boy!!

Offline caza-13

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Single - 25 - IUI
    « Reply #9 on: 3/12/19, 22:44 »
    Wow... i really am bad at keeping a diary! Im going to try and fill in some blanks (its been 9 months since i last posted, so yeah a lot has changed, but ill try my best)

So pregnancy...Everything went pretty smooth in the early days, i kept working throughout just slowly changed my tasks and stepped down to lighter duties as time went on. I was very blessed with a very straightforward pregnancy. No gestational diabetes, good growth. I didn't feel him kick until i was at least 20+ weeks, it was the strangest feeling (towards the end i would spend hours resting things on top of my belly, just waiting for him to kick and make them move, its the most unreal feeling).

Seeing the details on the scans was amazing. i went for a 4d scan and although he tried his best to hide, it was amazing seeing his little face on screen, looking at him sucking away on his thumb... and toes.. ha i know right.

Some people enjoy being pregnant, i can't say that i was one of them. As my bump got bigger i found it harder and harder to get comfortable and get a good nights rest (how naive was i?) No morning sickness, just the need to pee every 2 minutes. I planned to work until 2 weeks before my due date, however with the such hot weather this summer I was really struggling so took an extra 2 weeks to rest and prepare.

During routine midwife appointments i was sent to hospital a couple of times for reduced movements,  each time we would arrive to be monitored and he would suddenly 'wake up and decide to have a game of football', everything seemed ok, no explanation for what was happening. My third time being sent across I was 39 weeks, the consultant didn't seem overly worried but the decision was made to go in and be induced. I was terrified of this, and gutted to no longer be able to have my nice  natural waterbirth, but in some ways i knew he would be monitored closely, and be out soon(going overdue by 2 weeks at this point felt like my worse nightmare, i was soo ready)

The whole 9 months of pregnancy felt soo long, like it dragged on forever. Now it doesn't even feel like i was ever pregnant.