* Author Topic: First time at 40! ICSI it is.  (Read 1597 times)

0 Members

Offline bevoir78

modify
First time at 40! ICSI it is.
« on: 2/04/19, 15:51 »
Hi There,

So I thought Iíd start a diary as Iím hoping it will be cathartic and hopefully help others just starting out on their journey.

A bit about me
Iím 40 and my DP is 42. We met just over 5 years ago and started trying about 18 months ago. A few months before we started I went for some fertility test. Found out I have a low AMH level (7.5) but I still had 5-6 follicles each side so wasnít too worried. After a year of trying I decided to go to the doctor as I had just turned 40 and knew time was running out! I have a lot of blood test and a hysterosalpingogram (which is horrible by the way!) What I can see of the x-ray it looks like I have a blocked tube but the consultant doesnít seem that worried. (The results donít seem to have made it to my clinic so not entirely sure about the result). I force DP to the doctors. Turns out he has low morphology (doctor said it shouldnít be too much of a problem). Both DP and my results make us perfect candidates for IVF so luckily we get one round on the NHS.
We choose our clinic Bourne Hall, Cambridge. Turns out it was the first ever IVF clinic in the world so that must stand it in good stead.

Things Iíve been doing
I havenít drunk alcohol for 2 months and after reading ĎIt starts with an Eggí I have been on Ubiquinol, lots of vitamins, I changed all my Tupperware for glass and have cut out as best I can white bread/pasta/rice. Iím also trying to cut down on sugar (easier said than done). I have taken up meditation, which is really nice and if nothing else seems to be helping me sleep. I also have had a few sessions of acupuncture. Iím not sure this is actually working but I donít want to have regrets. Iím not sure how many rounds we will can afford so I want to give this everything I can.
Since I started stimming I have drunk 2 litres of water and eaten at least 65g of protein a day. Iím a pescatarian so this is harder than it sounds.

My Treatment
The clinic have decided to go for ICSI and Iím on a short protocol. Iím taking Gonal-F every day, Cetrotide after my first scan and Ovitrelle if my trigger shot.

Where I am now
At the moment I am feeling surprisingly well. I think I was expecting horrible injections and lots of side effects. I do keep forgetting to take my supplements, too worried about forgetting my injections. Maybe forgetfulness is a side effect lol

Iíve been stimming for 5 days now and I have my first scan tomorrow. Iím super excited, just hoping they have grown a bit. Chatting with people on here seems that a lot of people donít have much growth on their first scan so I wonít be too worried if things arenít as hoped. Although I seem to be producing a lot of cervical mucus (sorry if that TMI) so that feels like a positive sign.

Iím hoping to update this every 1-2 days depending on whatís going on.

Thanks for reading xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline bevoir78

modify
    « Reply #1 on: 3/04/19, 22:19 »
    First Scan Day

So today I had my first scan. I had one follicle on my left side, measuring 14, and 6-7 on my right. Not sure what size my right are but they didn't look to small. I asked the nurse if any more follicles would grow she just said this is what we are working with. I think i'm still hoping a few more will grow on my left  ^pray^

I'm not going to lie, I am disappointed. But I keep telling myself it only takes one and it's quality over quantity. I have been taking my supplements for 4 months now so hopefully that will have an affect on my eggs. Come on you follicles!

On a better note, I have a fear on needles so my DP has been doing them for me. But last night and tonight I managed to do it by myself (DP was out). I know this doesn't sound like much but it's a really big deal for me so i'm patting myself on the back for that.

Anyway next scan on Friday so we shall see what happens then xx

Offline bevoir78

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 5/04/19, 18:36 »
    Second Scan Day

I had my second scan today. I still have only one follicle on my left (which I have decided to name Hank, I felt sorry for it all on it's own so thought i'd name it lol), which is 17 and my lead follicle. There are 5 on my right which are over 10 and the nurse thinks these will be ok for EC. There is also one really small one which doesn't look like it will do much.

I feel like I've gone two steps back and one step forward. I had in my head 8 follicles after the first scan but now i'm down to 6. I had a cry in my car in the car park. I wonder how many other people had had a cry in that car park. Quite a few I would imagine. I've felt quite strong and level headed up to now so it shocked me a bit to be so upset. I'm usually such a positive person but I guess we all have low moments.

DP didn't seemed too fazed but I don't think he truly understands how hard our chances are. Not all my follicles will have an egg, not all of those eggs will be mature and not all will make it through the ICSI process. But I had a chat with my mum and she made me feel better. Not sure what I would do without her  ^hugme^

So after a couple of hours of wallowing i'm now back to my positive self  ^reiki^. This will work! Next scan on Monday and looks like we will be going for EC on Wednesday.

(And if I end up having a boy I may have to call him Hank lol!!!!)

Offline bevoir78

modify
    « Reply #3 on: 7/04/19, 17:49 »
    Thought i'd do a quick update.

i'm actually feeling quite good and strong.

I had some acupuncture today and walking out of the session I thought to myself how good and strong I am feeling.  I have 6 follicles to work with and that's what i'm going to concentrate on. There is no point in stressing about what I haven't got, I need to focus on what I have. I need to trust that the supplements i'm taking and the work i'm doing to keep myself healthy and happy will do the trick. Chatting to my acupuncturist, she said that I was in a lot better position than a lot of her clients going through the same thing as mentally I am in a good place (crying in a car park aside lol). Which is really nice to hear.

I have my last scan tomorrow and trigger shot in the evening. I've arranged to go out on Tuesday evening to keep my mind occupied for Wednesdays antics!

xx

Offline bevoir78

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 10/04/19, 10:20 »
    Last scan recap

I've been so busy the last few days I haven't had a chance to post so thought I would do a quick update now.

I had my last scan on Monday in which I appear to have lost another follicle, I am now down to 5. I think I must be the only person who has less follicles each scan!! Any way it is what it is, there is nothing more I can do. I did my trigger shot at midnight which went well.

Yesterday was a drug free day, woo hoo! And I tried to keep myself busy. I met up with a friend and went to a talk from a director of planet earth 2, which was really interesting. We then went for my last meal (I can't eat past midnight) at Nando's.

I'm now on my way to the clinic for my EC. 

I'll post later with an update xx

Offline bevoir78

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 10/04/19, 22:39 »
    Egg Collection Day

Egg collection went well today. They managed to get 5 eggs which is the best I could hope for. I think they tried the small follicle but it didn't have an egg. I'm happy with what they got.

For the collection I was put on a IV sedation so I was awake for the whole thing. It didn't really hurt but it was uncomfortable at times and I think this is because I only had a few follicles. What was good was the nurse sat next to me giving me a running commentary. My one follicle on the left was the first to give me an egg! The nurse was so lovely she kept talking to me to keep me calm.

I am now on the waiting game. First stage, the wait for the call from the embryologist tomorrow to see how many of the eggs are mature enough to use and also how many of those get fertilised.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow xx

Offline bevoir78

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 11/04/19, 12:21 »
    The Day of the Call

I've had some great news today. All 5 of my eggs were mature enough to use and 4 have fertilised.  ;D

At the moment i'm planned for a Monday transfer. They are going to check on them tomorrow and if I've lost a few they will move the transfer forward to Saturday. They said if i don't hear from them tomorrow then all is good for Monday. The nurse did say i could call and check up on them so if I haven't heard by lunchtime I might give them a call. Although if i do call and they say they have lost 1 I might be disappointed. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

With regards to pain, I'm in a little discomfort. I feel it when I walk and when I go to the toilet. It's not bad enough for me to take any paracetamol but it's definitely there in the background.

As for the rest of today I'm going to relax and enjoy the news of my 4 little potentials xx

Offline bevoir78

modify
    « Reply #7 on: 12/04/19, 18:32 »
    No call from the clinic today and I decided not to call. I figured a weekend of ignorant bliss would be what I need to set me up for Mondays transfer.

I have no work this weekend so I shall spend it relaxing, drinking plenty of water and listening to my Zita West relaxation visualisations.

xx

Offline bevoir78

modify
    « Reply #8 on: 15/04/19, 23:45 »
    ET Day

Transfer day was not quite what I expected. I thought we would be able to have a chat with the embryologist before we went so that if we had a choice to make we would have time to discuss and decide. But this didn't happen. When we arrived we sat in a waiting room till we were called down to the theatre. Thats when they told us out of the 4 fertilised egg 2 made it to blastocysts and 2 were at morula stage. The embryologist didn't hold out much hope for these 2 but they will be left till tomorrow to see if they turn to blastocysts. The other 2 were only early blastocysts so they couldn't how good a quality they are going to be.

That's when we got the choice whether to have 2 put back in or just one and see if the other is freezable tomorrow. My DP has a big fear that we will have twins (we have a small house and the entrance to it is up some very narrow steep stairs, not the best for a pram let alone a double one) so we had a massive choice to make in about 2 minutes. I'm not gonna lie, I had a it bit of a panic, possibly the most stressful time in this whole process. The staff actually left the theatre just so we could have a chat in private lol. I was hoping to have one to freeze, just in case.

In the end we decided to have both put back in. So I have 2 little embies inside and a long wait.

I'm going to focus on it actually working and then worry about the rest later!

xx

Offline bevoir78

modify
    « Reply #9 on: 21/04/19, 22:50 »
    6dp5dt

So it's been 6 days since transfer and i'm doing ok. I've had a couple of little pains in my lower abdomen but that's about it. I have felt emotional, i could burst into tears at any point, and I have been a bit needy with my DP. I think that has more to do with the progesterone than anything else.

I did have a bit of a panic the other night when I put the Crinione in I forgot to walk around after. I realised about 2 hours later when I sneezed and a bit of gel came out (sorry if TMI). I then spent an hour on Dr Google and posted on a couple of threads. I calmed down after a bit as it seems that once it's in your system its more of a top up and that walking round warms the gel up which helps to release the progesterone so some must have come out.

I've been trying to keep calm and relaxed so I've been listening to The Zita West recordings (not every day) and tried go for a walk for at last half an hour everyday. I'm keeping up with the high protein diet, drinking lots of water and eating 4 Brazil nuts per day. For the first 4 days after ET I blitzed up 1/4 of a pineapple with some milk and flax seeds.

4 days till OTD eeeeeek!  ^pray^