* Author Topic: IVF/FET/IUI/Clomid at 40+ OWN EGGS ONLY - questionnaire  (Read 5612 times)

0 Members

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
Dear all
Starting this thread to help all the 40+ that currently go through ART. It would be great if either succesful or unsuccesful filled the questionnaire. Please only fill for own eggs IVF/FET/IUI/CLOMID and natural conception at over 40.

1.   How old where you when you started IVF? Any fertility issues besides age?
2.   How many cycles did you have?
3.   What meds and protocol did you use?
4.   Did you also take extra supplements?
5.   How many eggs were collected?
7.   Did you also have male factor?
8.   How many embryos did you get (3 day or 5 day)?
9.   How many did you transfer?
10. lining thickness?
11. BFP/BFN? If BFP after how many cycles?fresh or FET?
12. Any embryos left for freezing?
13. Did you ever manage a natural conception at 40+?
14. If unsuccesful, after how many cycles you decided enough is enough and moved to Donor/adoption/gave up?
15. Which clinic did you use?

Thanks all in advance for your responses. It will help many 40+ see what the odds are at 40+ and whether they should move on to DE/adoption/giving up earlier.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Amandacatherine

40-41; no other Fertility issues but age
    4 normal; 6 banking
    Did all protocols -> long/short/flare; dose range 150- 450; gonal f/ menopur/clomid
    Cq10;Fertility Vitamins;
    High dose cycles 2; low dose 5-7
    Low sperm count
    Each cycle 1-2 blasts
    5 transfers-> 2 each time always a blast/ early blast or morula
    No lining issues
    Never any left for freezing
    No pregnancy
    Still trying at 44 turned in April. Doing 3 modified natural
    Cycles and then that is it
    Lister and create London   

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    And here are my answers:

36 after trying naturally for 2 years- no fertility  issues for me[/b]

4 cycles

Have tried ling and short protocol. Responded the same to both. Menopur350

Pregnacare, ubiquinol, babay aspirin, VitE

12-17 eggs each cycle

Yes. Low sperm count and morphology. Also high DNA Fragmentation. Count increased with Clomid  and conceived twice naturally within 3 months. One was TFMR for T21 and one early missed miscarriage

Varied. In the most successful cycle 3 good quality blastos. Fell pregnant with one and sadly micarried

1 each time

10. lining thickness?

7-9mm

2 BFPs naturally and 1 on the second fresh cycle. BFN with FET

2 3BB blastos

Not at 40+. One at 36 and one at 38.

14. If unsuccesful, after how many cycles you decided enough is enough and moved to Donor/adoption/gave up?

After 4 cycles. Trying naturally with clomid for husband but we donít conceive anymore. The two previous times conception happened within 3 momths. I guess not so good eggs anymore? We have one frozen 3BB left, which I am transferring soon but I donít have high hopes

Lister

Amandacatherine

Hi, I thought you might like to read this study on 8 women who did DE, very interesting.
    http://openaccess.city.ac.uk/18677/

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    Thanks CathA. Very interesting indeed. I will read through.

Are you considering DE? Very complicated decision isnít it? I know itís just a cell but this cells happens to grow to a human and decisions have consequences. I wouldnít be able to go with an unknown donor or not tell my child. I habe no doubt I would love the child a lot but there are so many unknowns. How do you protect the child from hereditary diseases. How do you explain and when do you tell? What if they look for the donor? What about potential siblings? Really complicated decision. But again, things change. A few years ago I was wondering why people donít adopt instead of using donors. When I realised how difficult, painful and expensive adoption is I changed my mind. I am still in pain because we havenít managed to reproduce and have already spent so much money on cycles, medicines, surgeries, tests, doctor fees etc.
    anyway. What can you do? Life is unfair

Amandacatherine

I have to say it is very complicated and yes we have considered it but with both me and my husband 50/50 on it I just donít think it is a good idea.I understand how people because obsessed for the baby but the baby grows up and then it becomes so hard. So many questions, what If the child is nothing like your partner, looks and acts like the donor, doesnít handle it very well when you tell them etc etc. Having read the study most women had lots of questions all the time and anxieties and some said they wished they had thought about it more especially beyond the baby phase. One women had a child with behavioural issues and this is my worst nightmare, it is all fine if the child looks like you and is healthy etc but that might not happen and then how would I feel, the risks are huge I think. Another women said she was only comfortable telling her neighbour who had a child with severe autism as having a donor child was seen a better then OE disabled child, it is almost like a hierarchy of what is best and then do you want to play the game to see where you land!( no offensive to anyone).
    Also the biggest problem for me is age, I think it is hard for a child being DE but then on top of that old parents. You need a lot of energy to deal with all of it. I turned 44 in April and if I did DE would be 45-46 having a child my husband 47-48.  I am not sure I have that energy for all of it.I know for sure if I was 30 and no eggs then yes I would do DE no question,also you have more options then like friends or family who might be young and generous enough to donate.
    Right now I do my last 3 banking rounds of modified ivf, and that is it. This is really for my husband as he needs to know that my eggs are no good, but because I always get 1-2 to blast he wants to try this and the clinic said my chances are about 20% based on a single round of it I did in January, so 80% failure, odds rubbish.
    I donít know how we will feel when this fails, I think we will discuss DE again and put down pros and cons. I am more concerned for my partner who is an only child. I have a brother and sister and am very close to my sisters 2 kids, they practically see me as a second mother so I have had all the bottle feeding, changing nappies, school runs, fun days out and the unconditional love you get from kids while he hasnít experienced this and I think he feels a bit alone in the world if anything happened to me.
    There are no easy solutions here. I will keep you updated on my ivf and my decision, be great if you could keep me updated aswell as nice to talk to someone else who is in the same boat.

Offline MargotW

Thanks Efi for starting this. I think it will be really useful, so here are my answers:

37, we started with male factor, my husband has an undescended testicle and poor everything.
    9, 5 with my husbandís sperm, 4 with donor sperm.
    1 round was short protocol, we have had 6 with long protocol and 2 with microdose long protocol. I have used Menopur once and didnít react to it, 1 round I had a mixture of Fostimon and Gonal F, the rest have been Gonal F
    Varies but always folic acid and co q 10.
    Anywhere between 2 and 12.
    Yes severe.
    Anywhere between 0 and 1, we have only ever had 4 blasts and 3 of those were with donor sperm.
    10. lining thickness?
    Variable between 7 and 9 mm
    2 rounds with no transfers, 5 BFNs and 2 BFPs on rounds 4 and 8, both ended in miscarriage. Always fresh.
    No
    No
    14. If unsuccesful, after how many cycles you decided enough is enough and moved to Donor/adoption/gave up? We are thinking about moving to donor egg but agreed no more cycles with my eggs. I am 41 now.
    Rounds 1-3 at Lister, 4-5 at Guys and 6-9 at Lister.

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    CathA - everything you said hits home. Very difficult decision. Raising a child is hard enough. Throw into the mix DE/DS and itĎs even harder. I guess itís a very personal decision which some take easily some not so. But as you said age is a factor. I have been through 7 years of ART, surgeries, expensive tests, went to the best doctors. We have spent overall ( low and behold) £120k...been through incredible loss and pain. Is it worth prolonging this with 1-3 cycles of DE? If it is successful  is it worth the pain or is it more like Ąbeen there done it now I can put a tickď. I guess itís down to everyoneĎs personal circumstances. A child brings a lot of happiness but also a lot of stress and anxiety. There is a point that the costs outweigh the benefits of trying.  I will definitely keep you posted :). Would also like to keep in touch

MargotW - many thanks for your responses:). We seem to have very similar profiles.

CathA / MargotW we all seem to be Lister clients. 

Offline MargotW

Efi, we do have similar profiles and interesting that we have all been to the Lister.
    My husband and need to have a proper chat about DE, we almost went for it last time but got cold feet, I am worried that I think of it as the miracle answer but it might not be. We too have spent so much money and now I think what we could have done with it but I still have such a yearning to be a mum. I certainly feel that I have ďbeen there, done it and can put a tickĒ for trying with my eggs and my husbandís sperm.

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    MargotW
    I hear you about yearning to be a mum. I feel the same and itís such a strong feeling. I always wanted children and I love all children so deeply. I was born to be a mum and it feels like a punishment after all this sacrifice and ordeal not having achieved a live birth.
    In terms of DE to be honest I am not precious about passing my genes, I have no interest in the child looking like me. The only thing is that we have no serious hereditary diseases in my family, no mental disease, and that would be nice to pass to a child. The same on my husbandís side.
    Another thing is that with my husband we are still deeply in love and I guess both of us saw this in a very romantic way that it would be great If a child would be born out of this great love. But we are so fond of each other that I am adamant that i want to see him in our child and he is adamant that he wants to see me in his child. So there you go...go figure.
    Another thing is that DE doesnít guarantee success. We may need 1-3 cycles. And quite frankly we are not lucky at all in terms of IVF/reproducing. Do we deserve more pain? I do have sometimes a picture of twins -a boy and a girl- that both look like my husband though....again complicated...
    Adoption! Well, I am not sure why people see this as the answer to infertility. Those that have never been through our ordeal always suggest Ąwhy donít you adopt?ď. Adopting is also as hard as IVF. Applications to adopting agencies, rejections, not many babies to adopt, it also costs loads and one million other difficulties. And then again it comes down to the question: I have been through 7 years of ART and pain. I am 41. do I have the time, psycological strength AND money ( around 60k?) to adopt? No, unless someone came and gave me a baby and left it outside my door. As a matter of fact I would much prefer DE.

The question is where do we stop and carry on with life? There is a point where we have to draw a line. And then itís also what my husband said. Sometimes, when you habe done multiple cycles and spent loads of money, you get line Ąmaybe the next cycle I succeedď. And you carry on and on and on.

So there is a point, I feel, that no matter how much I yearn for a child I have to draw a line and accept that it wasnĎt meant to be. Thatís life and yes for someone like me that adores children  so mich itís harsh. But I also know that hubby and I are good people and donít deserve more pain. Thatís life...

Sorry for the long message. I just felt that I am on the same page with both you and CathA and felt comfortable to pure my heart out. Hugs to both of you  ^hugme^