* Author Topic: IVF/FET/IUI/Clomid at 40+ OWN EGGS ONLY - questionnaire  (Read 5587 times)

0 Members

Offline Flyby

I took 150mg of Clomid from cycle day 2 until either trigger or egg collection (canít quite remember which) but I know that Clomid keeps your LH low and automatically stops you from ovulating so didnít need any other drugs apart from trigger shot.

The eggs are then collected, fertilised and frozen. I did this for four months in a row with the last collection being a few weeks before my 44th birthday, this cycle was the best of them all, I got six eggs, all fertilised and produced four blastocysts, these are the ones that were transferred a couple of months later.

It costs much less than traditional IVF because the drugs are only a few pounds a packet rather than thousands! Obviously there is a cycle price, I think it was Ä4000 for two at the time, canít remember how much the freezing cost, but the total was certainly less than a cycle with injections.

I used donor sperm so am sure that was a help, but I did for all cycles, so I think the biggest difference was probably the drug protocol.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline WarriorBaby

Hi ladies, think this is a really interesting exercise...I got pregnant naturally just months before turning 40 which sadly ended in MC. I was told I'd probably need DE after my 1st & 2nd round of IVF, 3rd one was successful + one natural miracle. Hope this gives hope to anyone with low AMH. Here it goes X :

1.   How old where you when you started IVF? 35 Any fertility issues besides age? Low AMH - 1.6 , was determined during fertility testing, age 33. + low progesterone and borderline FSH/LH
    2.   How many cycles did you have? 3
    3.   What meds and protocol did you use? Short antag. protocol : Gonal F 300 on first cycle, then Gonal F 450 on round 2 & 3. Plus lubion injections in addition to cyclogest
    4.   Did you also take extra supplements? No, just conception vitamins
    5.   How many eggs were collected? Round 1 : 3, Round 2 : 6, Round 3 : 6 
    7.   Did you also have male factor? No
    8.   How many embryos did you get (3 day or 5 day)? Day 5 all 3 rounds...Round 1 : 2 morulas (poor), Round 2 : 2 blasts (poor), Round 3 : 3 blasts (3 good quality - surprisingly!)
    9.   How many did you transfer? 2 each time
    10. lining thickness? The only thing that was always pretty good, triple layer, 12-14
    11. BFP/BFN? If BFP after how many cycles?fresh or FET? BFN, BFN, BFP - all fresh
    12. Any embryos left for freezing? 1 - from 3rd & only successful round
    13. Did you ever manage a natural conception at 40+? Yes (3 months away before turning 40) also one natural pregnancy at 38.
    14. If unsuccesful, after how many cycles you decided enough is enough and moved to Donor/adoption/gave up?
    15. Which clinic did you use? Queen Charlotte/Hammersmith Hospital then Boston Place

Amandacatherine

Thanks for that Flybe gives me hope was feeling down having to skip this month again as was sick. So will be 44.2 before I start the banking of 3 cycles June, July, August. Fingers crossed I will find the egg. Am taking quite a few supplements so hopefully they will help a little.My last Amh measurement was a year ago now and it was 1.3, they asked if I wanted to retake and I was like what is the point it is what it is and am going ahead anyway!

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    Flyby - thatís really impressive. So may blasts with Clomid and so few with the IVF drugs. Was the sperm donor the same for all your cycles? May I ask if you are aware of any other ladies that may have had success using this protocol?

Warriorbaby - thank you for your responses. So inspiring. All the best with No3 and please keep us posted on how it goes.

CathA- fingers crossed for you. Next month may be the one. Let us know how it goes and whether it makes any difference from previous protocols.

Offline magicpillow

• Gold Member
    Hey ladies.  It's been so interesting to read this thread to see how other over 40 ladies have got on with treatment and the outcomes.  We are waiting to do double donation IVF but I'm finding myself still struggling with the donor egg aspect and thinking I should maybe try again with my own eggs, even though I'm nearly 43!  My cycles always went really well which makes it so gutting.  It seems a bit futile when I think about it though.....here is my story...

1.   How old where you when you started IVF? Any fertility issues besides age?  I was 36 when I started TTC and 39 when I began IVF.  Our issue was male factor - azoospermia - and I had no issues with my own fertility.
    2.   How many cycles did you have?  We did 4 fresh cycles - 2 with hubby's sperm (surgically retrieved) and then moved to donor sperm.  We did 2 IUIs first and then 2 fresh IVF cycles with it.
    3.   What meds and protocol did you use?  Rounds 1 and 2 were short protocol with gonal F (350) and menopur, round 3 long protocol with buserelin, gonal F (150) and menopur.  Round 4 was a flare protocol - buserelin, gonal F, menopur.
    4.   Did you also take extra supplements?  I took folic acid, vit D, zinc, ubiquinol, vit B6 (as I'm deficient)
    5.   How many eggs were collected? Cycle 1 - 12; Cycle 2 - 8; Cycle 3 - 10; Cycle 4 - 14
    7.   Did you also have male factor?  Yes our diagnosis was azoospermia.
    8.   How many embryos did you get (3 day or 5 day)? Cycle 1 - 1 day 5 blasto; Cycle 2 - 2 day 3 embryos; cycle 3 - 2 day 5 blastos; cycle 4 - 2 day 5 blastos
    9.   How many did you transfer? 1 or 2 depending on how many we got.  We never had any left to freeze.
    10. lining thickness?  Can't remember measurements but always very good apparently!
    11. BFP/BFN? If BFP after how many cycles?fresh or FET?  All cycles were fresh.  Cycle 1 - BFP (mmc); cycle 2 BFN; cycle 3 BFN; cycle 4 - BFP (mmc)
    12. Any embryos left for freezing? no
    13. Did you ever manage a natural conception at 40+? no
    14. If unsuccesful, after how many cycles you decided enough is enough and moved to Donor/adoption/gave up?  after 4 fresh cycles I felt exhausted and unwell and we decided our best option was donor conception.  I still struggle with it though.
    15. Which clinic did you use?  First two cycles were the The Bridge Centre and London Women's Clinic; cycles 3 and 4 were the Agora.  Now on the waiting list at the Lister for egg donation. 

Offline Flyby

Iím glad itís given hope and I agree thereís no point in getting AMH measured.

Yes, I am aware that there are quite a few people this protocol has worked for, also Penny has had many successes with people in their mid-forties with own eggs. You could arrange a consultation to ask some questions if it would help.

No, donors werenít the same all the way through, there were three along the way as I either didnít order enough or the donor became unavailable, all were proven.

There were a couple of Clomid threads that I remember:

https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=327173.0

https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=339262.0

Offline noanoa

Hi

Interesting thread ... here's my story

1.   How old where you when you started IVF? Any fertility issues besides age?  I was 33 when I started TTC and 36 when I began IVF.  Possible pcos but not definite. High amh and regular ovulation.
    2.   How many cycles did you have?  2 ivf and 1 icsi
    3.   What meds and protocol did you use?  first 2 were short antagonist with menopur. 3rd was short with gonal F
    4.   Did you also take extra supplements? Pregnacare, ubiquinol, myo-inositol, blueberries, organic, plastic free....
    5.   How many eggs were collected? Cycle 1 - 5; Cycle 2 - 15; Cycle 3 - 10;
    7.   Did you also have male factor?  in 2014 sperm was high count with slightly higher than average morphology but by the end 2018 sperm was azoospermia (this was after being super healthy and ubiquinol and countless other supplements)
    8.   How many embryos did you get (3 day or 5 day)? 2 x blastos on all 3 cycles.
    9.   How many did you transfer? 2 blastos on all cycles.  We never had any left to freeze.
    10. lining thickness?  Can't remember measurements but always good.
    11. BFP/BFN? If BFP after how many cycles?fresh or FET?  All cycles were fresh.  1st cycle was chemical. others bfn.
    12. Any embryos left for freezing? no
    13. Did you ever manage a natural conception at 40+? no
    14. If unsuccesful, after how many cycles you decided enough is enough and moved to Donor/adoption/gave up?  after 3 fresh cycles and 7 years of ttc. So around 80 cycles of trying naturally. Exhausting  ^eyes^
    15. Which clinic did you use?  First two cycles were at St Marys, Manchester. 3rd was Reprofit in Czech.

I am now 40 and am currently 26 weeks pregnant with a double donor embryo from Reprofit. I wish I had done it years ago as I finally feel like me again. However, I realise that the donor route is not for everyone and mine my husbands situation is unique to us.

My husband has a 15 and 10 year old from a previous marriage. I have been a step mum since I was 21 and as a teenager I was always adamant that I would be adopting if I had children. Things change obviously and for most of the past 7 years I have been desperate to have my own genetic child. 2 years into my TTC  journey I was still adamant that I would never do ivf and that if it didn't happen then it didn't happen  ;D. After my 2 failed ivf cycles in 2015 I was completely lost and fell into depression and hopelessness and it took me 3 years to kick myself in to touch and go again. I looked into a few clinics in the UK and paid for a few consultations and tests but came away feeling like a cash cow.
    I never even considered the donor route until my last failed cycle in Oct 2018. It wasn't that I had a problem with it. I just thought donor eggs were for people that had been told their eggs were bad quality or they didn't have any eggs left.

I did initially worry about how ethical double donor was and I read a lot of stories on the dcn and elsewhere. I have come to the conclusion that the adults who feel a bit cheated and/or lost didn't really have the most loving upbringing. There are plenty of very happy and content donor conceived adults stories out there. Some go on to be donors themselves.   
    I also came to the conclusion that there must be something seriously wrong with either my eggs or my husbands sperm that even if we did manage to have a genetic baby then it could have a high chance of abnormality. I didn't feel comfortable taking that chance after the age of 40. And this is taking into consideration that my mum had me when she was 40 and her mum had her at 40 too (natural pregnancies). Also, my sister had a naturally conceived baby at 42.

Don't get me wrong- i do occasionally worry that our child will look so different from us that they will feel abnormal but mostly it's the best decision I ever made.

Good luck to you all on your own unique journeys. xx           

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    noanoa

Thanks for your responses.

What you said about the sperm and the egg hits home. I am also sometimes edging towards the conclusion that there must be a problem with the dna of the eggs and/or the sperm and itís probably better not to have our own child.

Offline Rocket75

1.   How old where you when you started IVF? Any fertility issues besides age? 40, low AMH, Hypothyroidism, anti- thyroid antibodies
    2.   How many cycles did you have? 4
    3.   What meds and protocol did you use? Cycles 1 & 2 -Natural; Cycles 3 & 4 long protocol -buserlin followed by Gonal- F (cycle 3) and Gonal- F and menopur (cycle 4) My follicles responded better to menopur. I also was on oestrogen tablets, patches and pessaries
    4.   Did you also take extra supplements? Ubiquinol, aspirin, omega 3, folic acid 5mg
    5.   How many eggs were collected? 1) 0 - cancelled 2) 1 embryo - stopped growing 3) 2 eggs - didnít fertilise 4) 4 eggs - 1 fertilised - 1 successful pregnancy
    7.   Did you also have male factor? Yes anti-sperm antibodies and DNA fragmentation - treated by Dr Ramsay antibiotics abs stopping smoking made a huge difference
    8.   How many embryos did you get (3 day or 5 day)? 1 to transfer out of 4 cycles- day 3
    9.   How many did you transfer? One
    10. lining thickness? 7cm - tripled nicely. This was the thickest my lining got
    11. BFP/BFN? If BFP after how many cycles?fresh or FET? BFP on cycle 4 ( or 3 as one r was cancelled)
    12. Any embryos left for freezing? No
    13. Did you ever manage a natural conception at 40+? Yes - 41 - MMC
    14. If unsuccesful, after how many cycles you decided enough is enough and moved to Donor/adoption/gave up?
    15. Which clinic did you use? CRGH then moved to Lister who I greatly preferred.

I was pregnant at 41 and gave birth at 42. ❤️

We were considering donor eggs as weíd had so little luck with mine but the natural pregnancy gave us hope.

Offline Rosie ducks

• Un-Ranked
    Hi my answers are below:

1. Unexplained infertility, I also had a blockage in my womb which the NHS told me wasn't a problem so it was only when we went private that it was dealt with. 40 for first cycle, 41 for cycle 2 & 3
    2. 3 cycles, will be going for no. 4 in a few weeks
    3. short protocol (I think)
    4. Yes - Zita west prenatal, CoQ10 and royal jelly. For cycle no 4 I have added, vit e and c. I am also taking a high dose of folate acid, vitamin D and omega 3. This cycle    as we are going to test the embryo's rather than transfer I am also taking melatonin. I also take a short of wheatgrass each day which I personally think has improved my response in cycle 3
    5. Cycle 1 - 16 eggs, cycle 2 - 7 eggs, cycle 3 - 10 eggs
    6. No male factor
    7. cycle 1 - 4 embryos, cycle 2, - 4 embryos, cycle 3 - 8 embryos
    8. cycle 1 - 2 day 3 embies transferred, cycle 2 - 2 day 5 embies transferred, cycle 3 - 1 day 3 embie and 2 day 5 embies transferred
    9. Not sure exactly but doctors were very happy with lining
    10. Cycle 1 - BFP, MMC 8 weeks, Cycle 2 & 3 - chemical pregnancies (all fresh transfers)
    11. 2 embryos in freezer
    12. no natural conceptions at all
    13. Had decided to go for donor eggs and changed clinics but have been talked into giving my own eggs one more try (although they were not able to really give me a specific reason why anything would be different this time)
    14. Cycle 1 & 2 H & E, Cycle 3 ARGC and cycle 4 is with Lister.

I am hoping that maybe the additional supplements I have started will make a difference. I have also reduced exposure to household chemicals and BPA's etc. We are also testing any embryos this time and we are having the 2 in the freezer transferred to Lister too for testing