* Author Topic: IVF/FET/IUI/Clomid at 40+ OWN EGGS ONLY - questionnaire  (Read 5649 times)

0 Members

Amandacatherine

Hi all, my father in law died suddenly on Saturday completely unexpected and has been heart breaking. My partner  is an only child and this is so hard and his mother is in a home. We will still go ahead next month with OE, and see what happens, DE is still very much off the table as he doesnít trust the clinics and thinks the profiles they put up are just lies and you are prob just getting an egg from some down and out with issues.  I think this maybe my fault as during each ivf I have kept him away from all the trouble it takes he just thinks anyone can do it. Anyway i am not going to push, as I said before I am 50/50 letís see what happens if this OE banking fails.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    CathA

So sorry for your loss. It must be so hard especially when not expected.

I know that you long for a family for your husband, but bear in mind that you two are a family. And he is very lucky to have you because you seem to love him so much. This is a true blessing because true love is not easy to find. And  you also have your nephews and nieces and your side of the family that truly love him.

In terms of the IVF take one step at a time. If the current cycles fail, then you discuss DE. I m afraid in terms of clinics I am with him. I have been with the best clinics and their lack of attention to detail is eye rolling. I could write a book. I habe ended up than when IVF works is just pure luck.

Sending you hugs  ^hugme^

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    Bump to receive some more answers

1.   How old where you when you started IVF? Any fertility issues besides age?
    2.   How many cycles did you have?
    3.   What meds and protocol did you use?
    4.   Did you also take extra supplements?
    5.   How many eggs were collected?
    7.   Did you also have male factor?
    8.   How many embryos did you get (3 day or 5 day)?
    9.   How many did you transfer?
    10. lining thickness?
    11. BFP/BFN? If BFP after how many cycles?fresh or FET?
    12. Any embryos left for freezing?
    13. Did you ever manage a natural conception at 40+?
    14. If unsuccesful, after how many cycles you decided enough is enough and moved to Donor/adoption/gave up?
    15. Which clinic did you use?

Offline Rosie ducks

• Un-Ranked
    CathA, so sorry for your loss, I understand only too well how devastating losing someone close can be.
    It is particularly difficult when you are already struggling with IVF so please take care of yourselves and seek help if you need it.

I wish you every luck in the world with your upcoming cycle.

RD

Offline WarriorBaby

Thanks @Efi - wishing all the best to you ✨ and everyone else on this thread X

Offline Ozmund

• Un-Ranked
    Hi Efi78

Your questionnaire is a great idea, I really hope this helps other ladies make their difficult decisions.

1.   How old where you when you started IVF? Any fertility issues besides age?
          42.  Started ttc naturally at 39, had 4 mcs all between 6-10 weeks. Unexplained after spectrum of recurrent miscarriage tests.  Was put on
          Clexane (prothrombin gene), prednisolone (although low NK cells at Coventry) and Cyclogest for last two pregancies to no avail.
          Went to fertility clinic for 2nd opinion as considering DE. FSH 7, AMH 10.9 pmol/L and AFC of 15 suggested OE ivf was worth a go.

2.   How many cycles did you have?
          1 - did not continue OE treatment due to poor results.

3.   What meds and protocol did you use?
          Flare protocol; Buserelin & FSH 400.  Quad therapy; Cyclogest 400x2, Clexane, Prednisolone 20mg

4.   Did you also take extra supplements?
          High strength folic acid, multi-vit, vit E, Vit D, Co-q10 Ubiquinol, DHEA

5.   How many eggs were collected?
          7 eggs collected, 3 mature, 2 fertilised

7.   Did you also have male factor?
          Yes, sperm fragmentation 37% - therefore used ICSI

8.   How many embryos did you get (3 day or 5 day)?
          1 embryo at Day 3 - we requested that this was left to try and make it blast and it made it; 4AB Day 5

9.   How many did you transfer?
          Only 1 to transfer

10. lining thickness?
          Not sure but considered fine for transfer c. 8mm

11. BFP/BFN? If BFP after how many cycles?fresh or FET?
          BFN

12. Any embryos left for freezing?
          N

13. Did you ever manage a natural conception at 40+?
          Y. 4 times naturally, all mcs

14. If unsuccesful, after how many cycles you decided enough is enough and moved to Donor/adoption/gave up?
          1 - we were considering it anyway after natural mcs

15. Which clinic did you use?
          Manchester Fertility

Following on from our OE cycle we had one poor DE cycle but the second was much better and I am now 11+3 following an FET.

Offline rainbows44

• Un-Ranked
    1.   44yo. Now 45. No fertility issues other than age
    2.   5 cycles
    3.   1 x IVF, 3 x ICSI (2 with HIER protocol of early triggering), 1 x IUI
    drugs: IVF Cycle 1: menopur 150iu+saizen 1ml CD5-10. Added orgalutran 250 CD 9-12. Menopur 450+ Pregnyl trigger on CD11. egg collection CD13

This first cycle was the best - i had implantation bleeding and cramps the day after. No progesterone support was given after. All other cycles, given progesterone support (except IUI). 2 blasts didn't stick

ICSI Cycle 2: menopur 150iu + Saizen 1ml CD5-10. Menopur 150 only CD11, 12. Menopur 150 + orgalutran CD13. Menopur 150iu; 2nd Menopur 450iu; 250iu orgalutran; Pregnyl 5000 trigger on CD 14. Egg collection CD16. 2 eggs, 1 blastocyst - didn't stick

ICSI Cycle 3: menopur 300iu + saizen 1ml CD2-5. Saizen was supposed to be double strength but i didn't realise. CD 6&7 they had me take the whole pack of saizen in one go - 3mg, plus Menopur 300iu, each day. CD8 two-part trigger Menopur 300iu; 2-part trigger: 1 dose 10,000 pregnyl 9pm. Next dose 12 hours away. CD9 10,000 pregnyl trigger. CD10 egg collection/

This high-drug cycle was the worst. It warped the eggs, one was deformed like a shell with no yolk. 4 eggs. One of the blastocysts was deformed. One didn't grow. But one good one resulted and was implanted. Didn't stick. So - 1 blast, didn't stick.

ICSI Cycle 4: CD3-CD8 Menopur 300iu, Saizen 1ml (the double dose of saizen but spread out over the whole cycle - it's 1ml in volume but it's half the bottle of powder in each instead of 1/3.) CD9 - Menopur 300. CD10 Pregnyl 5000 trigger. CD11 Pregnyl 5000 Trigger (12 hours apart) CD12 egg collection. 3 eggs, 2 blasts didn't stick.

IUI: Cycle 5 - no drugs given. CAN'T be pregnant as the SPERM NEVER HIT THE EGG because the washed sperm were put in my uterus 48 hours before ovulation. Sperm only last 6 hours before swimming out into your peritoneal cavity. Any that get trapped in there lose energy after 12 hours and cannot pierce the pellucidae. Sperm need to be in the cervical mucous reservoir which they gradually move through into the uterus so there's a steady stream of them to fertilise the egg when it comes down the chute.

That's why studies say to wait till you see follicle rupture before putting sperm in there:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2582119/

4.   Fish oil, nadh, folic acid (i'm stopping this now after reports too much causes autism), co-q10, zinc, spirulina, multivitamin
    5.   between one and three eggs off each cycle
    7.   Male sperm donor, excellent sperm, no issues.
    8.   Always had one or two blastocysts to transfer on day 3 - so the eggs were good enough to make a blast.
    9.   2, 1, 1, 2 blasts implant day 3, none of them stuck. IUI given 48 hours before ovulation so no chance to work as washed sperm only last 6 hours in the uterus and are only motile enough to break the pellucidae for 12 hours without sustenance from cervical mucous.
    10. lining thickness? - cycle 1 was trilaminar at first ultrasound. i have no idea other than that, they never told me. I haven't been told there is any issue with it.
    11. No pregnancy yet
    12. No freezing
    13. No attempt at natural conception as donor is overseas
    14. I will keep going until I get pregnant with my own eggs (I want to have my own child, not someone else's - otherwise you might as well just adopt or foster). I will try switching to IUI within 6 hours of follicle release, after follicle rupture, if it is possible to get my clinic to do this.
    15. Cannot name the clinic as I am still undergoing treatment, for privacy issues. It's in Australia. They treat people with their own eggs even up to 50

Good luck with your research project, I hope this information is useful for you

NOTE: It would be nice if someone could also help me out with some information, I am looking for scientific studies that state exactly how long washed sperm from IUI remain in the uterus/fallopian tubes before moving past the point at which they can meet and fertilise an egg.  Nobody has responded as yet. It's a separate thread.

Offline loveshoes

I came across this thread because Iím trying to make a decision about what to do next after four failed cycles.... Iíve just turned 41 and from the research Iíve been doing, my chances of becoming pregnant naturally is 5% and my chances of becoming pregnant via IVf is 9%. My AMH is very low and so I think my chances are probably less than the average for my age.

1.   39, age plus AMH 0.8 and FSH 25
    2.   4 so far
    3.   All short protocol, 1st one with 450 Gonal F, 3 with 150 Gonal F
    4.   Just Pregnacare and extra folic acid during the first two cycles, and then lots in the second two cycles
    5.   0, 3, 1, 1
    7.   No male factor
    8.   2 x 2 day, 1 x 2 day (AA)
    9.   2, 1
    10. Canít remember but was always good
    11. 1 x BFP (resulted in mmc), 1 x BFN
    12. No
    13. Not yet but still hopeful!
    14. After 4 failed cycles we are currently trying to decide whatís next. Whether to throw more money at IVF or not. And if not, then what?
    15. Kingís Fertility

Amandacatherine

I would keep going especially seen as you did get pregnant. How about trying 3 banking cycles to get more embryos, and leave then to day 5? You could still find that egg but time and money are the issue. I would do the banking and if that fails you know you have tried your best but if finances are tight and you are putting yourself in debt for this then you need to revise situation. I personally have done 10 rounds and no joy and will finish now at 44 with 3 banking natural modified but I havenít caused myself debts doing this although he has effected bank balance I would have stopped long time ago with odds I was given if I was putting it in credit card and thought more seriously about DE.

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    Loveshoes

You mention that you did 1 with 450 GonalF and 3 with 150 GonalF. Were the last three supposed to be mild IVF? Didyou notice difference in the quality of the eggs collected/embryos formed? I understand that you had 0 eggs collected on 450 GonalF?

Also, it is  said that Menopur is better for older women and produces better egg quality.

According to my research the % of getting pregnant with IVF is 9% vs 5% naturally indeed. Thatís why I opened this thread. To see if it worths doing IVF at over 40. If difference in the % of success is only 4% is it worth the emotional and financial investment or should we move on to DE/adoption/giving up earlier?

CathA - i agree on the financial point. However, itís not only that. Itís also down to the emotional investment and the odds not being much higher with IVF rather than natural at our age. And what is the impact of all these drugs on health in the long term? I am thinking that eventually the odds of falling pregnant in our age - if all well in terms of fallopian tubes, hormones, still ovulating- are almost the same IVF or not. And yes most pregnancies I hear at this age are either natural or through DE. Letís continue in this thread and see if any other 40+ lady fell pregnant with IVF OE. So far I can recall only 1. Mind you itís worth pointing out that those that did make it didnít have male factor.