* Author Topic: IVF/FET/IUI/Clomid at 40+ OWN EGGS ONLY - questionnaire  (Read 5588 times)

0 Members

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
Bump

1.   How old where you when you started IVF? Any fertility issues besides age?
2.   How many cycles did you have?
3.   What meds and protocol did you use?
4.   Did you also take extra supplements?
5.   How many eggs were collected?
7.   Did you also have male factor?
8.   How many embryos did you get (3 day or 5 day)?
9.   How many did you transfer?
10. lining thickness?
11. BFP/BFN? If BFP after how many cycles?fresh or FET?
12. Any embryos left for freezing?
13. Did you ever manage a natural conception at 40+?
14. If unsuccesful, after how many cycles you decided enough is enough and moved to Donor/adoption/gave up?
15. Which clinic did you use?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline loveshoes

I would keep going especially seen as you did get pregnant. How about trying 3 banking cycles to get more embryos, and leave then to day 5? You could still find that egg but time and money are the issue. I would do the banking and if that fails you know you have tried your best but if finances are tight and you are putting yourself in debt for this then you need to revise situation. I personally have done 10 rounds and no joy and will finish now at 44 with 3 banking natural modified but I havenít caused myself debts doing this although he has effected bank balance I would have stopped long time ago with odds I was given if I was putting it in credit card and thought more seriously about DE.

CathA - The embryologists have always wanted to put the embryos back in as soon as possible, I think they think that they have the best chance in the natural environment. Do you know what the advantages of banking cycles are? We haven't incurred any debt yet but we don't really have any savings left. So we'd have to save for a couple of months then do a cycle, save for a couple of months then do a cycle.

Offline loveshoes

Loveshoes

You mention that you did 1 with 450 GonalF and 3 with 150 GonalF. Were the last three supposed to be mild IVF? Didyou notice difference in the quality of the eggs collected/embryos formed? I understand that you had 0 eggs collected on 450 GonalF?

Also, it is  said that Menopur is better for older women and produces better egg quality.

According to my research the % of getting pregnant with IVF is 9% vs 5% naturally indeed. Thatís why I opened this thread. To see if it worths doing IVF at over 40. If difference in the % of success is only 4% is it worth the emotional and financial investment or should we move on to DE/adoption/giving up earlier?

CathA - i agree on the financial point. However, itís not only that. Itís also down to the emotional investment and the odds not being much higher with IVF rather than natural at our age. And what is the impact of all these drugs on health in the long term? I am thinking that eventually the odds of falling pregnant in our age - if all well in terms of fallopian tubes, hormones, still ovulating- are almost the same IVF or not. And yes most pregnancies I hear at this age are either natural or through DE. Letís continue in this thread and see if any other 40+ lady fell pregnant with IVF OE. So far I can recall only 1. Mind you itís worth pointing out that those that did make it didnít have male factor.

Efi78
    The last three with 150 GonalF were what my clinic called modified natural, I think that and Mild IVF are essentially the same thing... The first cycle with 450 GonalF produced one follicle and zero eggs. The embryos that were produced out of the modified natural cycles were good/minor fragmentation, the last one was top grade but that's the one that gave me a BFN. I don't know what the quality of the eggs were, I don't think they told me.

I'm trying to balance in my head whether the financial and emotional cost of IVF is worth the tiny 4% increase in odds of success, of what are already very low odds to begin with. My boyfriend is up for another go if I decide I want to.... I also wonder whether to try a different clinic, but then that's another big decision  ::)

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    Loveshoes

If you donít have male factor maybe itís worth doing another one.

I am not so keen because we have male factor + old eggs.

Amandacatherine

Sorry only saw your posts now. Banking is better because you might get more eggs and you get a discount when you sign up for 3, if low egg numbers are the problem it is a good option.I have just started my 3 banking cycles today at the age of 44.2.
    Day 5 scan, no drugs yet, shows 6 follicles, 1 on right size = 10; 5 on left size = 8,7,5,5,5. Will start 150 bemfola tonight, another scan Thursday. I donít hold out much hope of more then 1 follicle growing as this happened last time where the one on 10 took over and the rest just disappeared, letís see, will keep all updated so maybe it will help others.

Offline Efi78

• Gold Member
    Hi CathA

6 follicles are good and it seems that they are close to each other size wise so fingers crossed.

Let us know how it goes. I am really interested to dee if there is a difference in egg/embryo quality comparing with standard IVF

Amandacatherine

Had scan this morning and 12,10,9,8,8,7,6,5 so still close together. Hopefully will get 3-4 growing up. They trigger at lead 16mm so doesnít really give much time for them all to grow.They did this on my first one and they got eggs out of ones that were 12-14 on trigger. It has been said though in older women triggering at 14mm is a good idea as the environment they are in isnít great. Letís see have another scan on Saturday will let you know, still nerve wracking even after doing this 10 times!

Offline Flyby

Yes, I have a feeling that I triggered when mine were around 14mm/16mm x

Amandacatherine

Thanks for that, gives me more faith they know what they are doing not waiting beyond 16mm.

Amandacatherine

Had last scan today and some of the  follicles have grown more than others, so R = 19,13 L = 17,12,12,11,8,5.
    Trigger tonight I just hope that the 12ís and 13 grow enough and they collect something from them on Wednesday. On the old protocol they would have left it for another day or 2 so the smaller ones we could collect but that didnít lead to a good quality so I guess have to go along with this and see what I get.