* Author Topic: BFP Due Date - January/February 2020  (Read 12772 times)

0 Members

Offline Aggieblue

modify
BFP Due Date - January/February 2020
« Reply #80 on: 13/11/19, 15:55 »
Londonwriter, oh wow you're really prepared for this! we were told the limit an hour after eating is 7.8 and has to be under 5.5 in the morning before food. my GTT test came back 7.9 so only 0.1 above the limit! on the session today we had to prick ourselves and my number was 4.5 while the two ladies next to me had 7.5 so I know my levels are not that bad at all. puts my mind at ease. I think you should be fine, your numbers don't sound bad at all, try and keep to  measuring an hour after food and that should be under 7.8 and you're fine! you can just eliminate whatever causes an actual spike above that. I am less worried about it now after today's session as pretty much none of what was said was relevant to me. I never drink sugary drinks for example (except my 100% orange juice which i have stopped now), and lady went on how this is the biggest change we can make, and I don't have a too bad sweet tooth either. Although it's annoying to go into the festive season without being able to eat cakes, but I'll manage.
Try not to worry, it doesn't sound like you would have GD! I half think I don't really have it either haha but I will keep monitoring. Might be in for a surprise after my morning porridge tomorrow!

whatonearth, i am hoping i won't need to take any medication, I really want to avoid that. why do you need the anti coagulants? you'd think pricking ourselves is over once IVF is done yet here we are....

I'm doing pregnancy yoga regularly, although since moving, it's only YouTube led, rather than classes, as there are no classes near me now. :( I find it great for stretching and some strengthening and lots of it concentrates on opening up the pelvis. it makes me feel i'm doing something to help with birth, even if it's wishful thinking!

my friend is also planning a baby shower for me, although because of Christmas, it's quite late,probably early Jan (i'm due early Feb). it's just a nice way to get everyone together and be merry. although not being able to eat cakes is cruel haha! even my boss wants to throw a shower for me at work, which is lovely.

xxx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Londonwriter

modify
    « Reply #81 on: 13/11/19, 16:40 »
    Thanks for the replies, both of you :)

I'm not having a baby shower but, like you Whatonearth, I've had friends contacting me wanting to meet up. And, also like you, I have a tonne of stuff to do before little Grape is born! My hall/staircase wallpaper finally arrived yesterday after waiting a year (!) and I've got the decorator starting in a fortnight so I need to clear the spare room. My DH, meanwhile, is busily paint stripping the cornicing every chance we get so we can get the front room painted at the same time.

Presumably your anti-coagulants are clexane? I'm due to be on clexane until 34 weeks. I've got so many syringes now that I had to arrange a syringe collection from the council (!). Once I move off the clexane, my consultant has suggested I start baby aspirin to be on the safe side.

On exercise, I've just been doing my normal classes - not specific pregnancy ones. I've had a couple of amusing situations with substitute instructors where they haven't realised I'm pregnant and I'm sufficiently used to adapting my abdominals, etc. that I haven't bothered to tell them. It's amusing because my bump is just enormous (my abdominal muscles died a death with DS so everything just hangs out). I just have a lot of baggy XL men's t-shirts from my last pregnancy and that covers it up.

Thanks, also, for the diabetes info. I'm *reasonably* sure I don't have GD now because, after controlling my diet for a few days, I went to my mother-in-law's to work. I was too embarrassed to tell her I was freaking out about GD so I ate a bagel (sky-high GI) with soft cheese and a bowl of fruit puree (GD crack cocaine) with yoghurt. An hour afterwards, my blood sugar was up at 9.9 but, after two hours, it was down to 6.4, which is below the three-hour OGTT diagnosis limit.

AggieBlue - were you diagnosed on the GTT (the one-hour test) alone? I ask because there are a *lot* of stories online about ladies on low-carb diets who fail that test and pass the three-hour one. In some cases, they *really* fail the one-hour test - like it's 11.0 after an hour, but that's apparently something to do with your metabolism if you're not used to glucose.

Whatonearth - you're right that it's something to do with control and not actual levels. My sister-in-law is Type I diabetic and my DH is obviously familiar with it, and he says that although my numbers are not great, they do seem to be under positive control (i.e. my body is producing enough insulin to get my sugars down where they want to be - it's just the set point is not quite right).

AggieBlue - I only get numbers like 4.5 when I've got hypo symptoms. There's not a Snowball's Chance in Hades of me consistently getting morning figures below 5.5 either. My body goes nuts overnight and I have really high figures when I wake up (they normalise during the day). Either way, I'm sure you won't have a problem getting the one-hour spikes below 7.8 with numbers like yours and a conscious awareness of diet. I'm not sure you're going to manage that with porridge though - that was my 9.3 figure (!) :( I'm having much more success with a slice of rye bread (the sunflower stuff) with scrambled egg, plain 0% fat yoghurt and a handful of nuts. I get one-hour figures about one point above my resting figure (so normally around 6.X) and then they just slowly decrease for five/six hours. The problem is that I'm not hungry during those five/six hours, I barely eat anything for lunch, and then - by around 7pm - my blood sugar has dropped from 6.X to 4.6, I'm starving hungry, and have no sensible way of compensating given my small appetite. The result is I wake up starving around midnight, drink cocoa in skimmed milk, and then wake up again around 6am starving hungry with high fasting figures (because my liver has panicked and pumped out a load of glucose to help me out). Not sure how I sort that out and it doesn't sound like your education course would help with that either (in fact, it sounds immensely useless to someone who eats healthily  :( ).

I've found this website interesting (https://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk) and there's also a GD forum on the Diabetes UK website. Both are better - or at least more sensible-sounding - than the standard NHS healthy eating advice.

Offline Aggieblue

modify
    « Reply #82 on: 13/11/19, 17:21 »
    Londonwriter, well these are definitely questions to the dietitian who was there to educate us! No i don't think I learned an awful lot but there were a few helpful things on portion sizes and how to measure them without having to concentrate too much on numbers. Like a handful of fruit is fine as a snack (it does have to fit into your palm). And a fist sized portion of carbs in your main meal.
    My GTT test was a 2-hour one, so not sure where that falls! They took blood after fasting and then the drink, 2 hours later another blood test.
    And to be fair, i was quite hungry by the time my blood sugar was 4.5. I had breakfast just after 7am and this was around 11am, no snacks. :( I'm opposite to you, I eat more in the morning and then less and less.
    Well i'll let you know what my blood sugar does tomorrow after breakfast!

Offline whatonearth

modify
    « Reply #83 on: 13/11/19, 21:22 »
    Hi all,
    Good luck with the blood sugar in the morning, Aggie and London? ( are you testing  too?)for all I know I might have it and also the most incompetent midwife in town?!?!
    Aggie how sweet of your boss. What sort of thing is the friend planning for the shower, do you know ?
    London, I can't believe how long your wallpaper took! What was that about?
    as usual I'm tired, but I will attempt to pedal my exercise bike for 20 minutes before my bath. Wish me luck!
    Waves to all

Offline Aggieblue

modify
    « Reply #84 on: 14/11/19, 10:17 »
    ok so this morning, before breakfast, my levels were 5.2. an hour after a bowl of porridge with soy milk and peanut butter, 5.9. can we just declare I don't have gestational diabetes??  ^idiot^

whatonearth, an exercise bike is a great way to get in some exercise, go you!

Offline Londonwriter

modify
    « Reply #85 on: 14/11/19, 11:01 »
    ok so this morning, before breakfast, my levels were 5.2. an hour after a bowl of porridge with soy milk and peanut butter, 5.9. can we just declare I don't have gestational diabetes??  ^idiot^

Yeah, you're not exactly the classic case, are you? :) I'd keep on monitoring, if I were you, and bring it up at your first appointment with the diabetes nurse. Tests ain't perfect, after all, and it is a single-decimal-point measurement that you failed by 0.1 :) Lots of things affect blood sugar and it's possible, if it stays like that, they'll stop monitoring and check again around the 32-36 week mark (just to be on the safe side).

Before breakfast, my blood sugar was 6.1-6.4. I didn't measure it afterwards because my husband pointed out that, although I was potentially either pre-diabetic for Type II due to genetic factors or pre-diabetic for Type 1.5 (LADA) due to my unknown autoimmune disease, my blood sugar was actually under positive control, which meant I wasn't - in fact - gestational diabetic. This was evidenced by the idea that gestational diabetics are told to walk after meals to reduce blood sugar. My blood sugar was 6.4 two hours after lunch (3pm). I then cycled for 90 minutes in cold weather on a cargo trike with my DS in the front box and, despite not eating anything in the interim, at 8pm, before dinner, it was... drum roll... 5.5, which meant there was no relationship at all between extended exercise and my blood sugar. He said that, given my fasting blood sugar was 5.1-5.4 only a couple of days ago, he thought it now was being driven up by the stress of a big client project and fearing I would have a medically-advised c-section due to GD plus history of shoulder dystocia. He pointed out that his sister, who is Type I diabetic, got a two-point rise in blood sugar due to fear of going on a zip wire/tube ride on an alpine holiday when they were teenagers and, when he tested as a control, his blood sugar had also gone up by 0.5-1 points. Any stress on the body, he says, can drive up blood sugar and Type I diabetics need to up their insulin whenever they have a cold because of physiological stress. He suggested that I tested again in a few days, after I've finished the client project, to see if the situation has changed. In the meantime, I should stop stressing about it as I've eaten a wide range of foods with different amount of carbs over the last few days and, unless I eat something high GI, it seems to jump to about 7.7 regardless - again suggesting my blood sugar is where my body wants it to be.

Whatonearth - are you on clexane?

The wallpaper is a long story. Basically, our house is 1880s and VERY Victorian. The hall is kinda like a mansion hallway, but a very narrow one, with 10ft-high ceilings and a load of original cornicing. Anyhow, the hall was a complete mess when we moved in (magnolia gloss paint on bad plasterwork, faded 25-year-old carpet, etc.) so I decided to decorate it like in Sherlock Holmes with lots of Victorian detailing. We added a dado rail and a picture rail and added some lincrusta (a Victorian-style textured wallpaper) and I was going to use a William Morris wallpaper (expensive, but we're redecorating slowly).

But, before we could do that, we needed to replaster some of the hall. I'd already looked for original wallpaper behind the old radiator box, and hadn't found any, but - when the plasterer started - he found a big panel of brown and cream wallpaper with these cute cherubs on. I did a bit of internet research and discovered it was an early 'sanitary' wallpaper and assumed it was from around 1890. So I thought I'd see if I could replicate it - like real Victorian, not 'fake' Victorian - and stick a digitally-printed version above the dado rail.

Anyhow, we had a MA student from Lincoln University conservation department, who was working on the nearby World Heritage Site agree to come and take some photos for 190. We then put down on glue to protect it and lining papered over it... Anyway, the student messed up and the photos weren't good enough resolution to digitally print. Out of desperation, I rang one of the world's top wallpaper conservators for advice (she's in the UK). She said they'd messed up and the situation with the panel was now irretrievable because of the glue. However, out of the kindness of her heart, she agreed to take on the project and suggested that she might be able to reconstruct the wallpaper from some of the paper fragments attached to the plaster that had collapsed off the wall near the radiator.

So... I sent her 40kg of plaster in a cardboard box by courier (that was expensive). We paid her to do some work on the wallpaper (I'm suspecting way below cost) and, after a few months, she came back to tell us that the cherub paper was 1920s, but she had found the original wallpaper that was put up in 1883. It was, apparently, according to the PDF she sent us, a rare find of great conservation and historical interest. It is an ordinary terraced house and it's rare people find big tracts of wallpaper put up by ordinary people in the 1800s. She thought it was potentially a mass-produced paper by a famous designer, but she wasn't sure which one.

Anyway... eventually we got a picture of this paper (it's very pretty - it's got small birds on it) and she quoted us to print it in historically-accurate materials. We couldn't afford this. Then she could only find a printer who printed big panels of wallpaper (useless in the hall/stairwell of a suburban terrace). Eventually, she found someone who could replicate the design digitally on 10m wallpaper rolls to a quality standard she was happy with. [There was a bit of a further faff when she decided to do more work on old varnish removal and it turned out the original paper was actually orange, not pink, which would have meant ripping out our new carpet... but, anyway...]

After a year, and without any ceremony, 10 rolls of wallpaper arrived in the post a few days ago. We're very happy with them. They do look like a digital reproduction of a faded elderly wallpaper, but the design is very pretty (and apparently unique, i.e. it's been lost and there's nothing in a museum) and from the 1880s. Which is just VERY cool!

Offline whatonearth

modify
    « Reply #86 on: 14/11/19, 21:19 »
    Hi all,
    Aggie, your bloods do sound pretty normal. I seem to remember being about 4.8 or something quite regularly, but that was BEFORE a meal because that when my ex would anyways check. So 5.9 sounds great after.
    So funny, was at one of my work places and the women there were quite grim about baby news. It was as if I had anounced I was undergoing chemo. One of them said I was 'brave'. That was weird.
    They all had their kids in their mid twenties and the kids are now young adults, so I seem very peculiar. They are all lovely though so hopefully they will stop worrying about me soon.
    Wow London, that wallpaper sounds amazing. Most exciting wall paper I have heard of. So when will it be going up? What colour is your carpet.
    I am taking a something weight heparin, so like clexane , but with much blunter needles. It's the NHS equivalent. Ow! I hates it!
    I am taking it because I have a clotting disorder:MTHFR. Not that I have ever had a blood clot and my clotting panels have been good, sometimes a bit on the side of slow to clot.
    The injections are through pregnancy until 6 weeks after birth. Im pretty sure that I read it is normal to change to warfarin before birth or something like that. Will check tomorrow. Got a consultant appointment. After the last consultant things can only improve. I hope

Offline Londonwriter

modify
    « Reply #87 on: 15/11/19, 11:24 »
    Well, the decorator rang me yesterday and said he could start today [GULP]. He's currently stripping the rubbish lining paper in my DS' room - not sure when he'll get to the hall wallpaper tho'. He's told me he's going to do it last to avoid damaging it.

The stair carpet is one of those red patterned runners you get in abandoned Victorian hotels in Hollywood movies. The lincrusta downstairs and some of the walls upstairs are dark chocolate brown. I figured that, since the hall was tall, dark and narrow, and this wasn't easy to fix, I may as well make that a feature - not a bug. The pale reflective paint when we moved in didn't make it any lighter - just grey and depressingly dark. Now it still looks dark, but in a kind of opulent, gothic, creepy way - like the ghost of a fictional Victorian detective might just sweep down the stairs with a lady in evening dress on his arm (you can SOOO tell I write fiction as a hobby). It's a definite improvement and I do get a lot of compliments (and some assumptions that the house miraculously has its original Victorian decoration!!) - it's the opposite to minimalist, I think.

Sorry about the MTHFR and the blunt needles :( That sucks - at least I have sharp needles. I do have circulatory problems, but aren't homogeneous for MTHFR (is that what you mean?) or showing any clotting/Lupus antibodies - so it's not clear whether the Clexane is needed or where the problems are.

AggieBlue - I'm currently not monitoring blood sugar, but - a week after I changed my breakfast and tweaked my diet - I'm now eating about 1/3 to 1/2 the amount I was eating before, but have a lot more energy with more consistency to it. At first, this freaked me out a bit, because I was worried I was accidentally starving myself and going to get dangerous levels of ketones, but it now appears that I just don't handle all-carbohydrate meals (e.g. porridge) very well and this precedes the pregnancy. Just hoping it eventually brings down my fasting glucose.

Offline Aggieblue

modify
    « Reply #88 on: 15/11/19, 15:58 »
    wow, Londonwriter, what a story about the wallpaper! your house must be quite unique. :) it also sounds like your DH has the right idea about leaving the sugar level testing for now. I did read it too that stress can make them go out of range. i would definitely keep the issue in mind, maybe not for now but after pregnancy. the fact that you have hypos and an out of range fasting number is definitely something to investigate. For now, I would just wait for the test itself and fingers crossed you'll be less stressed by then and will pass no problem.

sorry that you both have to still inject daily.. i am so glad that's behind me now.

whatonearth, i'm sorry your colleagues are not more supporting, i'm sure they'll come around.

I had my first antenatal class yesterday. i dragged my friend with me as i was nervous about attending alone but the group seems really nice. we went through all the stages of labour and birth location options. it was great, really enjoyed it. think i'm ready to tackle the group alone from next week!  ;D

Offline whatonearth

modify
    « Reply #89 on: 15/11/19, 20:53 »
    Hi all,
    Im trying to imagine your carpet London and Linacrusta, never heard of it, but it is a fabulous name.
    I agree, embrace the sombre beauty of Victoriana. Minimalism has been so dominant for so long. I think there is starting to be a return to  more extravagant decor with a bit of personality.
    What type of clotting issues are you being treated for?
    I had a similar experience with cutting complex carbs. My stomach feels better and I feel better for it.
    I was following a 3:4 then 5:2 fasting diet a while back after putting on some weight. I didn't want to 'waste' calories on empty carbs, so dropped almost all on fast days and a lot on regular days. I think centring a meal around carbs was a habit which I started to question and I haven't looked back.

Aggie good for you, going to the class alone. Was the class quite mixed, or very 'coupley'.
    Which week of gestation do the ante natal classes start where you are?
    Are you planning on NCT classes at all?
    I might ask a friend for the first class too, see how it is.

I had my new, local consultant appointment today. Escaped the scary consultant at the general hospital.
    my new consultant was lovely. She sent me for a scan and, scarily the baby now has both tummy and  head on 95th centile.
    My GTT results were fine 4.8 before and 6.2 two hours after the vile drink, so not really explaining the hefty girl.
    Blood pressure and umbilical blood flow were good, so dunno?
    My consultant has recommended not waiting until 40 weeks if the baby's growth continues to remain a high centile. She suggested induction at 38 weeks. She wants me to go back mid December and mid Jan, so I could end up delivering Feb 1st instead of the 15th.
    I kind of like having a set date for delivery. Dont know.