* Author Topic: TTc and immune therapy  (Read 587 times)

0 Members

Offline Flossy34

• Gold Member
modify
TTc and immune therapy
« on: 19/06/19, 18:04 »

Hi all,

I hope itís ok to post this here.
I wondered if there are any ladies in the group who have been given immune treatment while trying to conceive?
I was fortunate enough to conceive my son while taking humira. Argc then treated me with intralipids, steroids, clexane and progesterone. I have endometriosis and hypothyroidism and had done two failed rounds of ivf before this.
I recently went back to Argc with the thought process that Iíd do humira again, however after getting my blood results back from Chicago, I am now told my tnfa is now within the normal range. This is the first time ever, itís usually around 35-49.
It would be amazing to think Iíd conceive without extra support from humira, steroids, clexane etc but from the numerous things Iíve read I canít help but think Iíd need some sort of medication to help.
Has anybody had immune treatment from a clinic while TTc? Iím not sure if Siobhan Quenby or somebody  like Dr Gorgy sheís this. If anybody has any advice it would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Pognut

modify
    TTc and immune therapy
    « Reply #1 on: 20/06/19, 09:16 »
    Hi Flossy,

If ARGC are saying you don't need the medication, you definitely don't - they're quick to give meds if they think there's any need. From the point of view of their approach to immunes (which I don't agree with, but that's another issue), if you suppressed yourself too much by medicating when you didn't need it, you'd potentially cause problems.

I think if your experience has been that the cycle that worked was the cycle where you threw everything at it, meds-wise, then it's going to feel scary not to have that if you cycle again. But ARGC don't prescribe empirically, so if they're saying you're ok without the meds, they really mean it.

Best of luck xx

Offline Londonwriter

modify
    TTc and immune therapy
    « Reply #2 on: 20/06/19, 13:47 »
    Pognut,

Flossy is a bit like me. She conceived twice while taking Humira before starting an IVF cycle at ARGC.

Itís not actually correct that ARGC are willing to throw any drugs at an immune problem, unfortunately. They refused to give me Humira, despite:

• My TNFa:IL10 being 46.3;
    • Having conceived my DS naturally four months after taking Humira, and;
    • Me telling Mr. Taranissi (via a nurse) that Iíd been running 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit fevers for two months.

ARGCís position was, as far as I gather, that I hadnít been diagnosed with anything (so, presumably, didnít have a *real* immune problem), that the intralipids worked last time but the Humira didnít, and that I carried to term despite horrible numbers (so, presumably, the numbers didn't correlate to my fertility)... Needless to say, it took four shots of Humira AND intralipids over the course of about four months before my health returned to Ďnormalí from the flare of the immune problem I didnít have...  >:( Had I cycled when ARGC wanted me to, I would have wasted the money. Even if my immune problem wasnít affecting my fertility, I was too physically sick to actually carry out an IVF cycle. I couldnít stay awake long enough with my symptoms flaring to do the timed injections for stims!

Offline Pognut

modify
    TTc and immune therapy
    « Reply #3 on: 20/06/19, 14:56 »
    Hi Londonwriter,

That sounds horrendous, and I remember your frustration with ARGC. I think it's fair to say that they have a reputation for being enthusiastic with the meds (certainly at the other 3 clinics I've talked to about this), but it absolutely sounds as though in your case they just didn't get what the problem was. As you've said before, I think, I suspect they don't know what to do with you if you do have a real immunological problem, and they're not used to treating people with them.

What's the best thing to do in that situation, do you think? See an immunologist? (Though would that be helpful if your TNFa was in a normal range now?)

Offline Londonwriter

modify
    TTc and immune therapy
    « Reply #4 on: 20/06/19, 16:59 »
    In general, I always recommend that if someone has autoimmune symptoms and is experiencing problems conceiving, they go and see a Ďrealí immunologist. Autoimmune disease can cause major organ and joint damage, and itís important to get it under control (especially before making a serious effort to conceive).

Offline Flossy34

• Gold Member
    modify
    TTc and immune therapy
    « Reply #5 on: 25/06/19, 21:14 »
    Thanks so much for your replies ladies.
    Youíre right Iím that it does get trickier when there are actual immune issues.
    I have Hashimotoís thyroiditis and also endometriosis which have an autoimmune element to them. Iíve actually found some information on Dr Gorgy website which was useful so I may Pursue that.
    Thanks again
    Flossy x