* Author Topic: Private care/obstetrician early pregnancy  (Read 475 times)

0 Members

Offline Minou

• Un-Ranked
Hello ladies,

I am 6 &1/2 weeks pregnant. I had my first scan in early pregnancy unit because I was bleeding.. the scan was ok, but with evidence of hemorrhage and a suspected mioma..

My local midwife would not see me until 10 weeks and wouldn't refer to a consultant before 12 weeks...

I am a high risk patient, due to my age, medical history etc, and I find it extremely worrying to just sit and wait until 12 weeks.

Any ladies with high risk pregnancies, what was your NHS early pregnancy care like?

Do you have any recommendations for a private obstetrician/ hospital?

Many thanks

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Online Stacey10

• Gold Member
    modify
    Private care/obstetrician early pregnancy
    « Reply #1 on: 19/06/19, 20:20 »
    Iím not from the uk but Australia and thatís pretty standard as to be honest there isnít anything they can or will do if anything happens between now and then, the area where I live we donít get into the hospital with the booking in appointment until 18-20 wks because if something happens before then, they canít do anything so theyíre not interested in having you on the books. I think itís great that you have midwife care from so early, basically I could go from finding out I was pregnant to just having one appointment with my gp for them to organise the 12 wks scan then nothing until the 18-20 wk booking in appointment, obviously if the 12 wk scan picked up a problem then the hospital would be informed and they would take over care with cvs/amino etc. in saying that though you can get gp lead care here up until the hospital care kicks in, but they would still only want to see you every 6 wks.
    Generally you will see ladies that have a bit more extra support in the earlier stages of pregnancy have been through a late loss or multiple miscarriages. If you feel you want more emotional support maybe look into getting a dolua or a student midwife.

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 20/06/19, 22:06 »
    As Stacey answered: there is not much that can be done now. Only advice OB can give is what you probably already know: healthy food, keep hydrated, avoid certain kinds of food (listeria in cheese, raw seafood, too much fish...), toxoplasmosis prevention,...
    Reading your sig my only question would be whether you have any (known) malabsorption, but probably your gp is better placed to advise you on any extra supplements you might need.
    Other advice you might need (but epu should have given this): if you are on any blood thinners (aspirin, clexane,...) whether to stop it or not.

First trimester (and better part of 2nd) are a worrying time: you do not know what is going on in there, any symptom (or lack of) is reason for a panic, and there is nothing anyone can do. It is really up to nature (which is extremely frustrating).

With your history I do think you would be high risk, but nothing to be done at this point except wait (and survive). I am currently 23 weeks, and had quite a heavy bleed +cramping day after viability scan. Had a visible haematola too, was allowed to come for a check (reassurance) at 9 weeks and everything was fine. (Was diagnosed at 20 week scan with bilobate placenta, which does more often give bleeding in pregnancy, so maybe it is linked - still, not much too worry about until delivery).
    I also had some bleeding (though less) in first preg (now healthy 2.5-year old). In fact, only preg I did not bleed was my missed abortion...
    Of course my story is only anecdotal, but just to let you know there is still reason to hope.

Offline Godiva

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 20/06/19, 22:17 »
    Oh, and I forgot too mention I had a bit of myoma removed before first preg (the part sticking out into the uterine cavity), but there was a portion under the mucosa they left in place. No issues in first preg. After miscarriage (needing d&c in the end) a gynae decided to remove the rest (although it certainly did not interfere with implantation: I am convinced there was just a problem with embryo (measuring 6w and no HB when I had first scan at 7.5 werks).
    The surgeries could have increased my risks for bilobate placenta this preg, although there is no proof.
    Anyway, just to say that even with myoma's you can have healthy pregnancies. (Especially if they are not too big, and underneath the lining).

Offline Miss Sunshine22

• Gold Member
    • Finally a BFP - 7th time lucky!
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 23/06/19, 14:02 »
    Congratulations on your pregnancy.

As the others have said, there is little the NHS or your GP can offer in early pregnancy if you don't have a condition or diagnosis that would require additional meds or monitoring (eg high blood pressure, blood clotting disorder, autoimmune conditions). Unfortunately, it's usually a case of waiting it out until 12 weeks. I had bleeding every day from 6 to 9 weeks and both my fertility clinic (private) and NHS maternity hospital said there was nothing they could do.

In later pregnancy post 12 weeks, the NHS provides excellent care, imho. Having had a high risk pregnancy, I have first hand experience of how a large team of midwives, consultants, anaesthetists, and paediatricians are necessary to care for you and your baby if there are any risks. The NHS can provide this, free of charge, and is so used to managing high risk pregnancies. They have protocols and procedures to provide the best care, and I would not hesitate to go NHS again. I would actually be concerned that a private obstetrician wouldn't have the same rapid access to a team of professionals (and a theatre) if this was needed. Of course, this is just my opinion and others may have had great private care and not so good NHS care.

I hope it all goes well for you. It is a stressful and worrying time.