* Author Topic: Moving from IUI to IVF, same sex couple.  (Read 3202 times)

0 Members

Online LadyMac2019

modify
Moving from IUI to IVF, same sex couple.
« Reply #10 on: 11/12/19, 15:11 »
Well today I'm feeling majorly fed up! Im actually at work and having problems concentrating because all my head does is think about IVF. And how I feel like I should be taking care of a small person right now instead of spending thousands of pounds (again) towards fertility treatment I probably don't need for medical reasons!

I'm officially sick as a chip!

I start injecting in 4 and a half weeks. There is so much waiting involed in fertility treatment. It's ridiculously long. I keep trying to stay positive but it's so hard.

I hope there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #11 on: 1/01/20, 20:46 »
    Happy New Year!...

It's been a few weeks since I posted. I remember feeling really cr*ppy last time I posted, but visiting friends and family over Christmas was lovely and it pulled me out of that mood. Our Christmas is always really busy because of all the travelling/visiting we do. This year, regardless of IVF outcome, I think we will stay at home together :-)

Over the last few weeks I've been exercising more. I've managed the gym twice a week most weeks and I'm enjoying walking the dog in my new extra warm clothes (Christmas pressies). I'm going to keep this up.

It's actually only a week and a half until I start injecting. I have mixed feelings and thoughts about it like 'have I done enough preparation for this cycle? Are there any other supplements I should have taken? Is my diet good enough?' You see, fertility treatment has made me google's best friend. I have spent so much time looking up IVF and vitamin C, D, E, Omega 3, Ubiquinol, Immune issues and god knows what else!
    Oh Melatonin! I found a great systemic review!... On a positive note, I have selected journal articles and avoided the likes of bionews.com for my information!

I had to laugh/half cry when my fertility acupuncturist sent me some 'journal article links', (which were in fact random websites) when trying to convince me to add in melatonin to my supplements. I am really not sure what to do about the melatonin. I see people on this forum have used it but it doesn't appear to be as widely talked about as ubiquinol. All of these thoughts/the research started when I read 'it starts with the egg'. Sometimes I wonder whether buying it was a good or a bad thing...! Writing this diary does help empty my head a little..

When I was chatting to my partner last night I said to her, I find all of the restrictions that come with IVF soo difficult. I don't feel like I'm able to book any holidays, plan any weekends away soon or look at changing jobs. I see opportunities and I need to let them pass me by. I reduced my hours and started a job of the same grade but with less stress (and less prospects). I feel like it's actually quite deskilling but I thought it was the right thing to do at the time.

Oh and we've now actually got a plan B. My partner is going to have fertility checks in the next month or so and we will look to start her on an IVF refund package if my next cycle doesn't work out well. Fingers crossed we won't need to do that..I know people say "hindsight is a great thing" but if I could go back in time a few years, I'd be having a serious word with myself!.. I thought I had lots of time at 32 and if my fertility results were good pregnancy would be almost guaranteed. I'm a bit disappointed that I was so naive because my decisions are normally overly sensible! I guess I was enjoying going on holidays, doing what I liked every weekend and time flew by.

So I'll do my best to update this diary throughout cycle 2. I don't imagine there will be much to say for the next 3 and a half weeks as the down regulation is pretty boring! X

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #12 on: 12/01/20, 10:10 »
    It's day three of Buserelin already... I started it early. We had our nurse consultation on Friday and she said to begin injecting because I had already started a period. It was a bit of a surprise but sort of good to get going with things anyway. I felt really tired yesterday morning but I managed the gym and I walked (according to my samsung app) 7 kilometres around the shops yesterday afternoon! I was shattered by the evening. Slept well and I feel quite bright and alert today. I'm meeting a friend for a dog walk and other friends tonight. I'm going to try to keep my level of activity up during this downreg. I remember feeling so tired last time but I will try to push through...

Other than that I'm continuing with the supplements I've been taking for 4 months  (400mg pharma nord ubiquinol, 1000mg omega 3, Naturelo Prenatal) and a couple of weeks ago I added in 200iu vitamin E, 500mg Vitamin C and 1000iu Vitamin D. Who knows if/how well these help but it's worth a shot.

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #13 on: 18/01/20, 18:49 »
    Day 9 in the IVF house!... I'm nine days into downregging and I surprisingly feel fine. I'm not sure if it's because I started DR injections on day 3 of my period.. because I'm not likely to bleed for maybe another week or so according to the nurse.. On the last round I started injecting on  cycle day 24 and my period was about 4 days late. I suppose I'll just need to wait and see.

My energy levels are good so fingers crossed this lasts. I didn't make the gym today because I was walking with a friend for a couple of hours. I'll be back out tomorrow. Its really helping my mind! I feel bright afterwards it really sets me up for the day. I've also downloaded a new book I've been waiting to read, so this is also a good distraction!

I may be saying something else in a few weeks, but I feel like I'm coming to terms with the fact this process is a marathon, not a sprint. That it may take a few cycles to work, if it works, and as much as I want to control this, it's  impossible. I need to accept uncertainty and make each day during this journey enjoyable, in some way.

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #14 on: 1/02/20, 15:37 »
    Wow it's day 23 of down reg!... I've kept busy so its sorta flown.. Well in comparison to last time. Other than flaking nails (last few days) I've been very lucky to experience no symptoms. Woke up with a bleed today so that's positive.

My scan is on Tuesday. Let's hope I get to start stimulation meds the next day. My start date is dependant on the clinics capacity so we'll see.

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #15 on: 4/02/20, 12:51 »
    Result! The clinic have agreed to injectable progesterone and I start stimming on my preferred day, tomorrow

I feel listened to.

Entering the hospital gives me palpetations now.. I guess after 7 failed cycles it's sort of understandable. My friend asked me how I'm feeling about starting the next stage of the process and I couldn't find the words initally.. I explained I think I'm trying to stay emotionally detached from it because of my experiences. Trying to think of it in a practical way because its like rolling a dice now.

I seen another same sex couple in the waiting room. I noticed how nervous one lady looked and how excited the other looked. I thought to myself, 'they might be in the early stages of their journey'. 'I wonder whether they're doing IUI. I hope they're not spending their money on that'.. but hopefully things will go well for them

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #16 on: 11/02/20, 20:45 »
    Well guess what?! The ovary with the cyst hasn't responded! Very well! Lefty has only got one follicle (14mm) while the right ovary has 7 follicles (8, 9, 9, 9, 11, 13, 14).Lining is trilaminar and 6.4mm.

My left ovary is my good un! Normally.. The cyst has ruptured. I am relieved my right ovary has responded so well but really disappointed about my left one. If I did not start this cycle with a cyst it may have responded much better..!

This afternoon the acupuncturist basically stuck some sorta tens machine on my left ovary to get it going! I'll update the diary on Saturday with the next lot of results. 

Fingers and Toes crossed Xx

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #17 on: 18/02/20, 12:05 »
    It's been an eventful few days. In all honesty, I thought this cycle was going to be a total disaster but there is some hope now.

Saturday was our day ten scan, and it was quite an emotional one.

Right ovary: 5 follicles over 17mm and one under 17mm
    Left ovary: 1 follicle at 20mm

The consultant explained he expected six mature eggs from this scan result.

My partner and I discussed (whilst I was getting dressed) that we were not happy with this result - increased dose and less follicles??

When we we were taken into the side room we put this question to the nurse. I said to her, "I'm responding like someone with a much lower AMH/older - what is going on?!" My partner got quite upset. The nurse empathised with this and explained that although I haven't got a lot more follicles, most of the ones I do have are in the mature range so they expect mature eggs from these ones. She told me that in their clinic, one in three ladies have eggs to freeze so not having any to freeze last cycle is not unusual.

She advised she would get the doctor as we told her were were unsure about going ahead with collection.. When she left we reflected that we entered the doors of this fertility clinic 2 years ago and my ovarian reserve was "fabulous" so WTF is going on.

The consultant came into the room. He said that last time I had a smaller number of mature follicles and some were 13/14mm. Out of the eight eggs that were retrieved last time only five were from mature follicles. He explained that out of the five mature eggs, they all fertilised and they all made it so blastocyst stage. If I didn't have a 4BA blastocyst, there were others they could have transferred but they were not good enough to freeze so they were discarded. This clinic have a strict freezing criteria.

In terms of my response to the drugs, the clinic think it's a good response. I am not so sure but they advised less eggs means better quality ones because there is only 'so much nourishment to go round'. He told me that this round is better because I have six mature follicles.

So egg collection was scheduled for Monday (yesterday). I had a significant pain in my right ovary on Sunday night. I was worried I had ovulated and guess what?.. I had, partially. At my egg collection they retrieved 4 eggs and graulosa and lutein form my other two (previously large) follicles. This suggests ovulation has taken place. I think several factors have led to his situation, the first error starting down regulation on CD 3 (best practice is CD 21)and continuing to stimulation with a cyst (a complicating factor of starting down reg after period begins). My clinic do not offer hormone  monitoring like private clinics and they were running almost an hour late with their egg collections... The egg collection was so much more painful in comparison to last time. Thank god for gas and air.

I had the worst nights sleep last night wondering how this can be success at all..I was so relieved when the embryologist told me this morning all 4 have fertilised normally. I am booked in for a day 5 transfer.

Fingers crossed!

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #18 on: 22/02/20, 14:17 »
    Transfer day today! I was really nervous waiting in the side room for the embryologist.

We were so relieved and overjoyed to find out we had one embryo to transfer and two to freeze. All 3BB. She said the one they were transferring hadn't been regraded since 8am so it might have developed further but she was really happy with it's development.

We are so happy just now.

I do wonder what the outcome would have been if we didn't lose the two eggs to ovulation but I know we're really fortunate to have some to freeze.

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #19 on: 1/03/20, 16:41 »
    Today is 8dp5dt and im bleeding (red - period like).
    I tested yesterday at 7dp5dt and it was a bfn on a frer.
    OTD is Thursday at the clinic but I won't be surprised about the outcome.

I'm relieved I have two frozen embryos but seriously wondering if  there's going to be a happy ending here. I've even had some thoughts of just not continuing because fertility treatment has stolen my happiness. I'll probably feel differently in a few weeks..