* Author Topic: Moving from IUI to IVF, same sex couple.  (Read 3244 times)

0 Members

Online LadyMac2019

modify
Moving from IUI to IVF, same sex couple.
« Reply #20 on: 5/03/20, 15:30 »
Offical test date today and it was negative, as expected.

I shared concerns about family history (family member has had many miscarriages - no tests as had 1 sucessful pregnancy) and I am concerned. The nurse asked if I had any tests in relation to this and I haven't.  I will share this information at the consultant review.

It had been on my mind before but I guess there were a couple of things that stopped me mentioning it. One being that a single failed embryo transfer would not necessarily indicate an underlying health issue, so why would the NHS investigate at that stage.

So I've ordered some blood tests from Thriva in the meantime (Thyroid profile, Thyroid antibodies, vitamin D and another couple of tests were included). I should hopefully be able to have the Thrombophilia screen via the NHS. I may also book the endometrial biopsy with Prof Quenby at her implantation clinic.

I was previously tested for celiac disease and rhumatoid arthritis. Both negative.

I wish things were simple! My partner and I were really upset at the weekend when I started bleeding but weve consoled each other and we've accepted what has happened this round. Onwards and upwards for now. It's time to do some things we enjoy this weekend. I've got some social stuff to look forward to as well as a few days in the South in a log cabin very soon. We're also going away for a few days next month.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #21 on: 21/05/20, 19:27 »
    Dear Diary it's been a long time!

Thyroid tests were all ok. No antibodies and TSH under 2.5.

We had the review and before the next cycle ill have a thrombophilia screen, Thyroid profile and endometrial scratch.

One thing we discussed first review is bleeding early. The consultant at the first review wasn't concerned explaining that 3xutrogesan per day would provide adequate progesterone. I changed to lubion (with a bit of persuading!) last cycle and I still bled a week after embryo transfer.

After some discussion, my partner and I decided to have a consultation with a private clinic (really good one according to reviews/hfea statistics). The consultant said bleeding 7 days after transfer is indicative of a luteal phase defect. We've got a plan around how to treat this problem  ;) and fingers crossed it's only this that's stopping us getting a sniff of a bfp.

This consultant wasn't convinced NK cell testing would be helpful in my case (but I can pursue it if I really want to).

He said the biggest thing that stands out is the early bleeding (we will address this as part of next cycle). Secondly, I should have a chromosome analysis before next transfer in case there is a problem (family history of miscarriage). He thinks the scratch is a good idea.

So since then I've had a chromosome analysis testing (at private clinic - need to rule out unbalanced translocation). Results 3 weeks time.

Sadly, no date for NHS clinic resuming treatment yet.

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #22 on: 9/06/20, 14:25 »
    So I've not got a lot to say in terms of an update, but I have been contacted by the NHS clinic providing my treatment. I have a telephone consultation with a doctor tomorrow to tell me about the changes due to Covid. Following that, I can arrange an appointment for blood tests. The hospital are going to run an 'implantation failure blood panel'. I'll have a thrombophilia screen and thyroid test, including antibodies. I can't have the endometrial scratch until the doctor is happy with the blood results. The scratch normally happens day 21 so it won't happen this cycle.

I called the private clinic about my chromosome analysis but none of the nurses were available to take the call. The nurse taking my blood said that they will call if there is anything to worry about. The results take three weeks, it's been three weeks so I hope all is well.

I've not been overly worried about the chromosome test. In fact, it's been at the back of my mind a lot of the time. Now that I'm about to get the results (hopefully) I'm feeling a bit nervous. My thoughts have mostly been related to restarting treatment and how long will the FET process with the scratch and blood tests take. My mood has been up and down.

Our Plan B is still very much in mind. This is my partner sharing her embryos with me/having them frozen. We'll chat about this further when I get the chromosome results.  If there is a problem with my chromosomes it's a no brainer - we'll use her eggs.

What I find frustrating is the amount of time everything takes, and has taken.  If only I could go back in time and speak to my 30 year old self! I could have frozen embryos then. I was just too busy going on holidays and having fun at weekends. Children  were a thought for the future and I was not ready to stop having fun! When I started all this just after my 32nd birthday I wasn't fully ready, but I'm so pleased I started because this is taking a lot longer than I thought. It's also been a lot more expensive.

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #23 on: 10/06/20, 22:40 »
    Chromosome test result is normal! The nurse at the private clinic sent me my report today. I'm really pleased there is no longer a question mark over that :)

We had our NHS consultant  appointment today too.  He went over changes to processes following Covid. He also recapped on the frozen embryo cycle processes. This was helpful. I hope to have my scratch next month if my implantation failure bloods are all normal. I should have an appointment to take blood within a week.

We asked about whether I can have my progesterone levels tested because I've bled early twice. (Thought may as well check if the NHS will do it?!). He explained the clinic do not offer this service right now. This NHS clinic will prescribe the same dose of injectable progesterone next cycle.. But that's ok it's what we expected.

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #24 on: 17/06/20, 20:20 »
    Prescription from the clinic in London should be on the way soon. We had a short video consult and the doctor is sending a prescription for lubion (2 injections daily), progesterone pessaries and progesterone gel. In my last cycle I only had one injection of lubion per day so let's hope this stops the early bleeding. I'll also inject clexane.

I've had the bloods done at the NHS clinic. I should get the results by next Thursday.. Just have to wait to see what is to  happen next.

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #25 on: 21/06/20, 18:47 »
    No blood results yet but prescription is here. Looks like I'll be taking 2 x  lubion, 6 x utrogestan orally and 2 applications of internal progesterone gel. Fingers crossed this stops the early bleeding. I appreciate that it's 50/50 anyway!

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #26 on: 24/06/20, 06:16 »
    My blood resuts are in and they're all within the normal ranges ;D The nurse asked me to call day 1 of my period to book in for the scratch.  Day 1 should be next Monday..! Looks like the transfer will definitely take place in August (as long as I don't catch covid!) They're going to test me twice during the cycle. I'm being super careful though!

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #27 on: 21/07/20, 10:22 »
    So I'm one step further forward to the FET! I had my endometrial scratch yestrday. It took longer than I thought, around 20 minutes for the procedure. The consultant couldn't get through my cervix! This hasn't happened before. I'd describe the procedure as a bit uncomfortable. It was a dull crampy mildish pain. I've had much more painful period pains.

I was told to take gas and air, which I imagine took the edge off. Got to say I wasn't prepared for the giggling afterwards though! I was a bit embarrassed.

I'll start to take 3x progynova when I start my period and I'll have an ultrasound about 14 days later. The clinic should coronavirus test me at my scan appt and if it's negative I think my transfer will be around a week later. I've been really careful and this is the last hurdle really. Well, lining being ok it's the last hurdle!

Online LadyMac2019

modify
    « Reply #28 on: 28/07/20, 21:24 »
    I'm on day 3 of Estrogen already! AF arrived early on Sunday. My scan is booked for the 11th. All being well, transfer will take place a week later.  We have organised my progesterone blood test as well. What a carry on trying to find a lab that can get the results to you within 24 hours! I almost thought I was gonna need to travel to London for this blood test!

I feel ok, brighter in mood. That's probably because I'm 'in the cycle' now. I've been so wobbly though. Post IVF failure depression? It's awful. Each failure is like a mini bereavement and it's getting harder to keep trying. To keep failing. But, I see so many people not get good news until they've had several transfers. I think the IUI wiped me out, emotionally, before I'd even started IVF.

I guess I don't just have emotional stress from IVF - my job is very emotionally demanding/wearing. Working with other people's trauma isn't a great combination when you're going through your own.! But on a positive note, I have a supportive manager..

So as part of good self care/promoting my well-being during this cycle I've booked three reflexology/indian head massage treatments. And I'm probably going to try book a 4th just before my transfer! Why not eh!