* Author Topic: Changing donor?  (Read 484 times)

0 Members

Offline Mtntn

• Un-Ranked
modify
Changing donor?
« on: 29/08/19, 07:03 »
Decisions, decisions and more decisions! Hi everyone, hope you are all doing very well. I wanted to write and ask if anyone has been advised to change the donor after having a failed transfer/s? I have had three early miscarriages over the last 8 months. All were PGS tested embryos so my doctor is pretty baffled. His two concerns are 1. Iím not absorbing the synthetic progesterone so has suggested a natural FET next or 2. Some issue with the donor. While he isnít sure either way, he thinks  for my next retrieval I should pick a new donor just to our rule any problems with my current donor and try something new.

Iím doing another retrieval because of my age. I was very fortunate to have six genetically embryos the last time so I have three left with my current donor. I never thought I would have to do another retrieval but I have made the decision to go ahead to try bank another few embryos, as I have always wanted to give myself the option of a second if I was lucky enough to have one.

Anyway, Iím now torn as ideally I would want the embryos all with the same donor and by doing another retrieval with a different donor that wonít be the case.  The donor has other families so and also the embryologist and the other doctor in my clinic donít believe the donor is my problem and donít think I need to change, so really donít know what to do.

Would love to hear if anyone has had the same situation.

X

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline DutchSasky

modify
    Changing donor?
    « Reply #1 on: 29/08/19, 11:52 »
    Hi Mtntn,
    So sorry for all that you have been through the last year ^hugme^
    I have no experience with PGS testing, and maybe misunderstand your situation, but I was wondering whether your progesterone was never tested before or just after transfer?
    I am not sure if this is standard or not, in any way, I think this is pretty easily diagnosed and remedied with either extra progesterone (or probably the natural cycle). In the clinic where I am they do it on the day of transfer and in case of a BFP, they also want the Progesterone levels a second time.

Also, while i have no experience with PGS testing, as I understand it, while this guarantees genetically normal embryos, it does not guarantee that nothing goes wrong in the further development in the womb. There is a lot going on in those first few weeks and a lot can go wrong even with a genetically normal embryo. Having said that, 3 times might indeed not be a coincidence anymore!

Changing the donor might work, even though most doctors seem very confident, sometimes they just don't know why something works or not - and there is a lot that they don't know!

Anyway I totally get you don't want to mix donors though is it an option to finish the embryos that you have left before continuing with another donor? What stage were the embryos frozen in?
    I had 2 miscarriages from the same batch of embryos (double donor without PGS) they were frozen on day 3  and after the 2nd miscarriage they decided to thaw the remaining embryos and make a 5 day blastocyst culture out of them to see which ones were the best. I got transferred the best 2 (i think there were 5 left in total, but I am not sure anymore). Could that be an option?

Also, have you had a hysteroscopy just to check out whether there are any issues with your womb? It might also be worthwhile looking into if you have the time and money.

Good luck deciding!

Offline ellefivehundred

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Changing donor?
    « Reply #2 on: 15/10/19, 11:46 »
    Hi Mtntn,

Sorry to hear you've had 3 miscarriages - that must be really tough.  I did PGS testing aswell and had a miscarriage with a PGS normal embryo.  I changed donors myself and had 2 normal PGS embryos (from 3) with my first donor and 0 (from 5) with the second donor. 

Have you been to see someone about recurrent miscarriages?   You might have high natural killer cells which would affect all embryos - there's lots of things they can test for.  If the donor has had other children then I don't think it would be donor related.

Good luck to you and baby dust!