* Author Topic: MMC Diagnosed but Baby Growing with no Heartbeat  (Read 650 times)

0 Members

Offline shootingstar777

• Gold Member
Hi everyone, I'd like to ask a question because this is something that's worrying me as I go for my ERPC tomorrow.  I was diagnosed with a MMC on Tuesday.  However, the baby seems to have continued to grow at the expected rate after the heart stopped.  I went for a first scan at 7+0 weeks and the baby was measuring one week behind but had a heartbeat.  Second scan was done at 7+2 weeks and the baby had a fast heartbeat (120bpm) and was measuring 6+2 weeks, so still one week behind.  But had shown appropriate growth for those two days.  Six days later, I had a scan at 8+1 weeks and the baby measured 7+1 weeks (some measurements showed 7+0 but the largest measurement showed 7+1 weeks).  However, there was no longer a heartbeat.  I went to EPU to have the MMC confirmed one day later, and they measured the baby at 7+3 weeks (at 8+2 weeks), again with no heartbeat.  So the baby had grown 2-3 days worth in just one day and so was less than a week behind at this scan.  I realise not detecting a heartbeat when one is present is incredibly unlikely on two internal scans when the baby measures at least 10mm.  However, I'm struggling with how the baby can still grow so much when there is no heartbeat (assuming the measurements are all accurate).  The nurse said this was because it was under the influence of hormones.  However the last time I had a MMC the baby stopped growing before the heart stopped and if anything, reduced in size at each scan.  Has anyone else experienced this? xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Online missl73

• Gold Member
    modify
    MMC Diagnosed but Baby Growing with no Heartbeat
    « Reply #1 on: 30/08/19, 07:20 »
    Hey shootingstar, yes I did with my MMC, my little bean more than doubled in size between the first two scans (HB 160) and had still continued grow again by the third scan by which time there was no longer a heartbeat, which in my case was at 10 weeks. Itís so sad but what is likely is the baby probably passed away very close to the time of the final scan so it kept growing right up until the time she died. I had the fetal tissue tested from my ERPC and in my case it was chromosomal a Trisomy 16 which means she was never going to survive past the first trimester. Take care of yourself, I hope your ERPC goes as smoothly as it can. Thinking of you xx

Offline shootingstar777

• Gold Member
    modify
    MMC Diagnosed but Baby Growing with no Heartbeat
    « Reply #2 on: 30/08/19, 22:01 »
    Thank you for replying missl73.  I am so glad I got your message before the op today as it was really playing on my mind.  They will test the tissue which may show something.  All went smoothly all things considered, now for the emotional repair.  I do think the ERPC allows a quicker physical recovery (as long as there are no issues like infection or remaining tissue).  I hope you are doing OK xx