Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Early Pregnancy Thread

24K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  queenie123 
#1 ·
Hello and welcome to the Early Pregnancy Thread  :)

After the 2WW and the cycle Buddy threads it can feel a bit lonely waiting for those early scans so here's the place to chat before you feel ready to join the due date threads.  Theres no cut off for moving on but most people do so after their early scan or dating scan so that chatter remains relevant for those in the early stages of pregnancy.

Congratulations, wishing you happy & healthy pregnancies  ^reiki^

#77 ·
Hi, I had the NHS booking appointment on the phone, very thorough and very informative midwife and it took well over an hour , i had double donor IVF so had to ask the clinic a few things the midwife wanted to know ....seems crazy the appointments are not in person, i also give up with the GP, impossible to see in person etc. It seems like all NCT / NHS antenatal groups are not happening either atm, very early for me to be thinking about this as early days and anything can happen but particularly because  i am single networking, contact and groups feel very important....i feel upset that we cant see a midwife  and the groups arent running , the Midwife agreed it is crazy.  anyway i made notes during the booking appointment which i would recommend as lots to remember. The next thing ( fingers crossed ) would be 12 week scan, bloods, urine tests and so on.  The midwife in my case was going to make a Consultants referral, gave me various out of hours phone numbers and was generally really supportive and calm which i really appreciated xx

#78 ·
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this isn’t the right thread to be posting but I am desperate for some support in my current situation.  I had a single frozen embryo transfer on 20th August and we got a BFP on 1st September. My viability scan was booked for the 22nd September and all was going well.
On Tuesday I had a sudden bleed which was honestly the most traumatic thing I have experienced to date. The bleed consisted of fresh bright red blood and I also passed 2-3 clots the size of a 20p (very dark red in colour). The bleeding lasted approx a couple of hours then turned to brown blood only when wiping after the toilet. The last couple of days it has been minimal brown discharge on wiping and today it’s barley there at all.

Obviously I am assuming the worst and thinking I have lost the baby. My husband and I are stuck in an aweful limbo where we have to wait until next Tuesday for a scan (at 6 weeks). The EPU also didn’t want to know and no one can offer a blood test to see if my HCG levels are falling. The last couple of days I have felt more nauseous than normal and don’t have an appetite at all.

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar or has any words of wisdom in this period of limbo?

#79 ·
Hey - I'm here, I'm sorry to hear of your worry, but do know that you are not alone, and many people bleed in the first 12 weeks and go on to have very healthy pregnancies.

I use Medichecks to do the HcG - which means I can take it myself with a finger prick and know the next day. I have done it every week so far, just for peace of mind.

The other thing you could do is go to a private sonographer - Have you had one yet? I am using my local sonographer in St Albans - The verulum clinic - she is excerlent and for a cheap quick scan to check to see the heartbeat is still there they are very skilled.

If you want a Dr then I would recomend the fetal medicine centre, https://fetalmedicine.com/ The main Dr is the world's leading expert on early pregnancy detailed ultrasonogrpahy, and although he is shielding at the moment all the residents who work under him I would trust. This is possibly the most expensive option - but also will be the most comprehensive.

Do you have any diagnosed reason for a bleed such as Thrombophillia (I do).
Are you on any medication? Clexane / Progesterone / Estrogen / Asprin / Anti-biotics / Intralipids?

Good luck! I have my 8 week scan on Wednesday and am nervous about it.

#80 ·
Hi Queenie,

Thank you so much for your reply and all the advice you have given. We decided against a private scan in the end as didn’t want to be in a position where we were still left unsure of what’s going on. We have made it to Sunday no so only a couple more days to wait until my scan at the fertility centre.

No explanation for the bleed until I have the scan but yes I am taking progesterone pesseries and oral oestrogen as this was a FET.

I took another digital pregnancy test this morning which still reads pregnant 3+ but I am very aware that my HCG levels may not have dropped yet even if I have miscarried the baby.

Good luck for your 8 week scan, I hope your pregnancy continues to progress nicely and the stress/worry lessens soon xxxx

#81 ·
Franneileah,

I know it's super scary - who is your IVF clinic???

Well done for getting through it - and I have everything crossed for you for Tuesday.

My clinic have kept a v close eye on me as I have had 14 IVF cycles, and this is our 4th transfer - I think they just want to be very cautious.  They made me check blood for both HCG and Prog at 14, 17 and 21 days and continued at 28 and 35 as well.  They then increased my Progesterone suppliment and I had to take HCG every other day for a week.  I found what the urine tests were saying and what the blood tests said didn't always add up to the same thing, bloods would show a drop fairly quickly, urine test probably wouldn't.  The Doctors Laboratory would do a walk in HCG blood test if you need one (Hcg and Progesterone) and you get the results back in about 3 hours.

I would check with your clinic what the max dose of pesseries and oestrogen you can take is, just in case or if you can suppliment Hcg.

A lot of people bleed early on, and it could just be a clot, or low Oestrogen.  I have everything crossed for you.  If I am honest, I have barely left the bedroom / house so far as I am just being cautious incase I do something to cause a bleed.

#82 ·
I am with the BWH in Birmingham. When I rang them after my bleed last week the only thing they were able to offer me was the scan on Tuesday. I enquires about blood test for HCG levels and they said they don’t do that.

Sounds like your clinic are extremely thorough which is great. My clinic have just advised to continue with the same dosage of meds so I’m on 2x 400mg progesterone pessaries per day, not sure if that could be upped.

I’m
Sorry to hear you haven’t really left the house, I have to say I have also been terrified in case I bleed again but managed to go for a little walk earlier was nice to get some fresh air

#83 ·
Are you NHS or private?

Have you had your progesterone levels checked?  My progesterone was 38 at 5 wks,and again at 7 weeks,  my clinic increased my Progesterone from 200mg 4x daily to ask me to take the capsules orally twice daily as well - so I am now on 1200mg per day.  I know other private people have also been given crinone or long acting oily formulations to suppliment as well.  It's not all about the embryo.  If you are still worried after tomorrow there is nothing wrong with getting a private second opinion.  Good luck for tomorrow!

I have been for walks around our local woods, and shopping, and some gardening, but not loads - I'm normally a very active person and I want to go for a run or swim, those are the things I haven't done yet which I am not going to do until 12 weeks, but lamenting.

#84 ·
After having a further bleed with cramps last night I was convinced there was no hope.
I had a scan this morning at our fertility clinic and to my amazement the baby is there and had a heartbeat and measures on track. I have another scan booked in next week at 7 weeks to double check.
Happy and relieved but also still terrified of something going wrong.

#85 ·
Frannieleah,
Congrats on your healthy heartbeat!  I'm so pleased for you - take it easy for a while you deserve it!

I have my 8wk2d scan today and looking really good. 
Anyone else measuring slightly under?  - My little dot is measuring at 7wks5d, but I am 8wk2d as I had ivf. 

#87 ·
How did your 12wk scan go?

I had mine 2 weeks ago and it was the most amazing thing - it really gave me peace of mind that everything was OK. 

#88 ·
HI queenie ,

It looks like you have been through so much ...that is fantastic about your scan and things going well.

Yes my scan was an enormous relief 15.5 weeks now , not a bump really atm, have had various infections, stopped anti depressants , and I can never really relax as being solo and having double donor IVF remain challenging . That said I am finding my way and doing OK  - waiting for 16 weeks midwife appointment and also have Consultant in November, I hope these are in person rather than remote, i signed up for NCT ( January i hope ) which is also now on line , take care xxx

#89 ·
Fantasitc news, so pleased you are in the second trimester club!
- my 16wk midwife and 20wk consultant appointments are all telephone, which is a bit annoying.

Franleigh - hope you are doing OK.

I have started a new thread for us since we got past the 12wk scan https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=404653.msg7597751;topicseen#new

I looked into NCT but haven't booked on yet - you would think they would give you a discount for being online rather than face to face - but no. I am a bit upset about it, the main thing I was looking forward to was making coffee friends, which might not hapen online.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.