* Author Topic: 1st cycle, no egg - advice ?  (Read 1212 times)

0 Members

Offline snowdropwood

modify
1st cycle, no egg - advice ?
« on: 16/11/19, 19:15 »
Hi, just turned 43 , 1st natural modified cycle , no egg.( cycle b4 was cancelled as seemed to be very short so was no good)  I have payed for 3 cycles, also using DS as i am on my own.  Feeling exhausted as have to travel 5/6 hours round trip to clinic. Guess the options will be discontinue, continue and maybe alter protocol, apply for DE treatment which will mean it is double donation. 

Wondered if i could continue with this treatment with OE whilst i apply/register for DE treatment as I understand it can be 1 - 6 months wait, legalities, payments etc to sort out. The lining and hormones / blood tests were all ok so very disappointed to find no egg. 

This is clearly an exhausting business emotionally , psychologically and makes 'normal' life fairly impossible in my experience.  I am able to afford treatment financially as have money from my Granny will coming soon - I try to trust she would understand my wishes xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Amandacatherine

modify
    « Reply #1 on: 16/11/19, 19:22 »
    I would advise if you have paid go ahead but what are your numbers Amh,lh,fsh. I have done 13 rounds, 4 separate and 2x3 banking, 6 transfers, tried all the different protocols and nothing, from the age of 41-44. My numbers were ok to start with and always got blasts but on my last few rounds the numbers were off like lh high at 17 start of cycle day 5 and found it hard to get eggs.

Offline FranWillow

• Un-Ranked
    • Trying for a DE sibling for DD born 2017...
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 26/11/19, 15:58 »
    Hi Snowdropwood,

So sorry to hear about your recent experience. I had a similar one when I was around 37/38 with no empty follicles during egg retrieval..I basically entered menopause a couple of months afterwards...(I'm not saying that the same will happen to you anytime soon). In my view you'd be better off moving over to DE. It's tough to give up on your OE...Another argument is time - and energy to sustain a pregnancy and to care for a newborn. I would avoid wasting your energy reserves on futile OE cycles...My DE daughter is perfect. I do think of her biological mother every day, though - and I feel very fortunate that we had this opportunity.

Wishing you all the best!

Offline chini

modify
    « Reply #3 on: 6/12/19, 21:16 »
    Hi Snowdropwood - I'm really sorry you're having to go through this. How are you doing?

Let me share some thoughts I had when I read your story. First of all, at what point did they notice your follicles weren't developing as expected? I just had a non-response to 15 days of stimulation drugs, after which the doctors decided to take me off the stims for two days and start again, and miraculously that created some kind of "rebound effect" which made my follicles start to grow finally! I'm now on day 25 of stims (if I count from the very beginning) or 8 (if I count from when I started again) and looking to have my EC next week.

Secondly, are you doing anything to improve egg quality? If not and you still want to keep trying with your own eggs, I would immediately read the book It Starts With The Egg by Rebecca Fett and also into diet. I've seen the fertility nutritionist Mel Brown a couple of times during my TTC journey and found it incredibly helpful. It's also important to look into exercise and stress reduction when working to improve egg quality. However if you're not taking already vitamin D, a good quality prenatal (such as the Basic Prenatal from Thorne Research) and ubiquinol I would start those immediately. Zinc and magnesium would also be good to add - because of soil depletion it's very rare to get enough from diet these days.

Thirdly, have you had any fertility investigations done and if so, what? It would be good to check at least thyroid function (TSH over 2.5 and thyroid antibodies are detrimental to fertility) and maybe the first level of immune tests. A good place to start would be to read Agate's immune FAQs on this forum - she also has a great post about learning from a failed ivf cycle and what questions to ask your consultant.

Good luck whatever you decide to do! X

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 11/12/19, 21:11 »
    Thanks for responses and suggestions  - I am now on the second cycle of mod natural IVF with donor sperm , the last one the clinic will realistically do with O/E. 

The follicle and blood tests appeared ok last time until the E/C - this time there are 2 sizable follicles and E/C will be soon. 

Yes thyriod function and blood tests are Ok, I take vit D and folic acid  .  It is not possible to go on D/E waiting list well still having treatment with O/E and clinic have said this is the last treatment with O/E they will do (I am just 43 yrs old ) so I will think of the next step when the time comes.

It is impossible to tell if there are any eggs until the point of E/C I understand .  Nat Mod aims to produce 1 or 2 eggs I understand .  The statistics at my age are extremely low, but I wanted to do my best and give it all i could for as long as I could before thinking about the next step. 

thank you xxx

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 11/12/19, 21:11 »
    Thanks for responses and suggestions  - I am now on the second cycle of mod natural IVF with donor sperm , the last one the clinic will realistically do with O/E. 

The follicle and blood tests appeared ok last time until the E/C - this time there are 2 sizable follicles and E/C will be soon. 

Yes thyriod function and blood tests are Ok, I take vit D and folic acid  .  It is not possible to go on D/E waiting list well still having treatment with O/E and clinic have said this is the last treatment with O/E they will do (I am just 43 yrs old ) so I will think of the next step when the time comes.

It is impossible to tell if there are any eggs until the point of E/C I understand .  Nat Mod aims to produce 1 or 2 eggs I understand .  The statistics at my age are extremely low, but I wanted to do my best and give it all i could for as long as I could before thinking about the next step. 

thank you xxx

Offline chini

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 13/12/19, 21:59 »
    Hi snowdropwood, I've been thinking about you. How are you? I hope you're ok.

In my response to you earlier I was a bit too quick to give you recommendations based on my own cycle... After the initial rebound effect after the break in stims my follicles stopped responding over last weekend, so this Monday they decided to take me off all meds. Today I went back and had only 1mm growth all week, so now they're putting me on micro dose (75 IU Menopur) over the weekend, then scan again on Monday. Ideally we'd hope to have egg collection next week on Friday, then transfer on the 23rd, but I'm not holding my breath as these follicles seem to be really reluctant to grow. So my situation is a bit different I guess, as I do have follicles there but they just refuse to grow...

What did your natural modified protocol consist of if I may ask? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    « Reply #7 on: 14/12/19, 19:47 »
    Hi Chini,

I am not sure of details such as your age , clinic, protocol , history etc but yes all very difficult .  I am single too.  I think it is impossible to find the words to describe how heartbreaking this process is  - very good luck.

The nat mod is the usual scans and bloods ( Create Bristol ) which is a long long drive ! the meds are Benfola 150 day 5 ish and cetrotide (to block when ever that is required ) plus the trigger....in my case.  i also had indometacin rabs last time (to block ?) then cyclogest 250 i think (if you get that far I guess) .  they seems to want follicles to be 16 mm ish depending on bloods etc I guess.   Due E/R on wednsday , the last they will do i am told and possibly the last i can bear as feel v rough ( headaches etc).

I am also devestated about the election result and dont really want to live in this country.  It is another shock / heartbreak/loss to process and it is very traumatic .  'let the healing begin ' says the daily mail - i was already feeling sick before i saw this and now feel even more sick.  I know this is the end of the NHS and IMHO this country is in much darkness. I dont care if this post is removed , for now we have freedom of speech ( though i expect not for much longer ) .  The day after the election i saw police walk past a possible dead body in a door way  - it represents this political tragedy.  So i may move asap from this country and not have further treatment anyway. 

best wishes to everyone, and may we all find strength on this journey  x

Offline chini

modify
    « Reply #8 on: 14/12/19, 21:34 »
    Hi snowdropwood,

Thank you so much for sharing your protocol and how you feel. I couldn't agree more with you - this process is difficult beyond words. Lately it's helped me quite a lot to read what 'missconceptioncoach' publishes on instagram, she has some very wise words to share every day and I'm amazed at her ability to express all the complexity and heartache of the ttc madness in words. I'd recommend reading her posts if you're on instagram.

I also share your pain and fear about the election result. I'm a EU citizen (Latin American/Nordic mix) with a British partner (although interestingly I met him when I had already decided I would seek treatment on my own if I didn't meet anyone) and our most common topic of discussion these days seems to be where we should move next. Sadly we're kind of stuck in London because of his job, as there aren't many places in the world where he can work and I don't want to drag him somewhere where he would need to give up his ambitions regarding his career... Being single you have the luxury of being able to move where ever you want without having to take anyone else into account, which is not a bad thing in times like these... Have you got anywhere particular in mind where you'd like to go?

I do a lot of charity/volunteering/activism stuff and I hear many of the people in those circles say they feel a renewed sense of purpose as we will need to step up and take care of those worst off now that the state for sure won't be doing that. But I'm also painfully aware that it will be a lot of work and there will be tough times ahead, as no matter how hard we try we will be up against strong forces who are trying to pull the country into the opposite direction...

Regarding the headaches - are you sure you're having at least 2 litres (ideally at least 2 and a half) per day? I notice I get the headaches immediately if I forget to drink enough water when I'm stimming, but then if I go and drink at least a pint of water straight away the headache is usually soon gone...

I do hope from my heart that you have great growth over the weekend and get to E/R next week! But why is it the last collection they'll do? Also 16mm as a threshold for trigger sounds very small - have you had good results with that kind of numbers before? At the Lister where I'm cycling they triggered me last time only when my lead follicle was 21mm.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us. x

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    « Reply #9 on: 15/12/19, 00:07 »
    Thanks for all your supportive words  - great wisdom there !

The size of follicle for E/C , I think they look for this size plus but i am not sure why.    It would be the last attempt due to the clinical advice as I am doing a 3 cycle package (first 1 was cancelled ) and because they said it will not work / the chances are so so small because of my age  - so i will get through this before i can think about a next step i guess. They are able to say no to treatment as a clinical team decision and it does happen quite a lot I guess.

yes i dont drink enough water.  I have been slightly sick today too.  But i have very little work so can take it easy until i get through all this .

very best wishes and good luck x