* Author Topic: AMH 0.99pmol/l at 36, first IVF 4 blasts but CP  (Read 1245 times)

0 Members

Offline Saltysea

Hi everyone

This is my first post with my own questions, although I have been lurking for several months and found this forum an unbelievably useful resource so far.

I am 36 and my husband is 37. We have been TTC for just over a year now. We had the initial investigations after 6 months of trying and I was shocked to find out I had an AMH of only 2.1pmol/l. My FSH has been 20, 11, 11 and 8 over the last year.
I am completely healthy and have never missed a period in my life. My husband's sperm was found to have a Teratospermia with just 3% normal forms, apparently just below the WHO normal range - we have been told this shouldn't be the problem as there is are plenty of motile and normal sperm as a total number.

We tried a few IUI's and natural monitored cycles with the trigger shot since in my monitored cycle I got an increase in LH but my follicle didn't rupture (luteinised unruptured follicle LUF syndrome). After being told I only had a 5% chance of success with IVF due to my low AMH by an idiot RE, I was already considering egg donor IVF. I then started my own research, found this forum and moved on to IVF at the Lister Clinic, who have been amazing. They seem to have far more positive an outlook and definitely encouraged me to at least try once with my own eggs. I can not recommend them enough, they have been amazing.

I just finished my first IVF cycle and after starting with an AFC of 2, AMH now dropped to 0.9 only 6 months later, I had 5 follicles at the end and produced 4 eggs. The miracle was that 4 eggs fertilised, 4 eggs made it to day 3 and 4 eggs made it to blasts. I had one transferred, apparently a great quality blast and 3 frozen (4bb,3bb and 3bb). Now, clearly I was thrilled with this result, considering my initial expectations and when I read through the forum, it is nothing short of a miracle to have 100% make it to blast. The miracle ends there though for now, I had a weak bfp with this fresh transfer but it has ended in an early chemical pregnancy.

I feel so frustrated, sad, fed-up and annoyed by this whole situation and all the ups and downs and how it completely seems to take over your life.

I wonder if any of you have the experience to answer some of my questions:

1. is it a good thing that all 4 made blasts, or is there probably another issue as well? Can I relax that IVF will probably work for us? I was obviously really pessimistic about my chances but I feel with 4 blasts, my chances seem good in the long run. This optimism creeping in terrifies me even more.

2. the high stimulation dosages (450 Menopur) are said to decrease the quality of the egg, would this prevent them becoming blasts though or increase the chances of a chemical or miscarriage later?

3. why the hell is my AMH so low? I have no known autoimmune issues, known endometriosis or previous operations. I used to get bad period pain that went away entirely with Ibuprofen but that's about it. Has anyone else been recommended to test for Fragile X Carrier? No one has mentioned this to me, but I came across it in my own research. Was this recommended to any of you. I have no symptoms of premature menopause only an AMH that is so ridiculously low.

4. My next step will be another fresh cycle, since we really would eventually like 2 children and I figure to maximise our chances I should do another fresh cycle and save the frozen ones. What do you guys think?

5. Anyone understand why I have regular periods but don't ovulate, yet clearly produce eggs good enough to make it to blast. Is that a ridiculously-low-AMH-thing?

Thanks everyone and anyone for any info, tips or personal experiences!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Mac78

• I do believe in miracles.
    modify
    AMH 0.99pmol/l at 36, first IVF 4 blasts but CP
    « Reply #1 on: 21/01/20, 21:28 »
    Hi Saltysea,

I am sorry to hear about everything you went through. I' am afraid I don't have the experience to comment in regard to stimulation dosage or if the fact that you had 4 it's a good sign or no, although they all make to blast it does seems that quantity could be interfering with quality. But I am just saying this based on what I have been reading here and general research.

In relation to a possible premature ovarian failure, I don't want to be a pessimist or scare you, but I would like to share what happened to me. Just after meeting my husband, at the age of 35, when I really started thinking about having kids, and just like you, I had no symptoms of early menopause. I was on and off pills for 10 years so decided to stop completely and try for a baby, at that point I had just turned 36. Suddenly, I started to feel hot flashes and my periods became very irregularly. I thought it was because I stopped with the contraception, but the symptoms worsen to the point that it was affecting my work. I decided to talk to my Dr and he asked for some blood tests and he even said that I should think too much of it, as I don't have any history of early menopause in my family (I have 5 sisters and my mom has 4 sisters) All changed once I got test results; FHS was 35 and AHM 0.2, even my Dr couldn't believe and asked me to do it again which came back exactly the same. I had to do Fragile X Carrier which came back normal, so my final diagnosis was 'inexplicable premature ovarian failure'.

Since the diagnosis, I got pregnant twice, both naturally, but miscarriage before 8 weeks. The fact that I got pregnant twice was a miracle, according to my Doctors as with 0.2 AMH my chances were very low. The last 7 years have been really hard and when I started with HRT last year is when I came to terms with my diagnosis and I am now considering ED.

The good thing is that you have 3 eggs to try and you are right to research a much as you can to maximise your chances. I would recommend asking your GP for X Fragile X Carrier. I really hope your low AMH has nothing to do with early menopause but I think ruling this out will help to make decisions for your future cycles.

Good Luck.
    x

Offline Saltysea

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 23/01/20, 14:52 »
    Hey Mac, thank you so much for your input! Our situations do sound pretty similar, so I really appreciate your sharing your experience.

In the meantime, I did actually decide to test for the Fragile X carrier as I decided if I did have it, I wouldn't put myself through further rounds of IVF. The result was negative. Looks like we are both just on the lower end of that genetic variation of egg reserve. 

I am so sorry the last few years have been hard for you. I hope you don't think I'm out of line for saying this, but I completely encourage you to go down the egg donor route. From what I read on all these forums of other ladies' experiences - the ones that do ED, end up really happy and their only regret is often not having made that step sooner. I, myself, am completely okay with the egg donor route but feel a bit obligated to at least try a few own egg rounds before doing it, especially since I am still 'only' 36. It seems a little wrong expecting another younger girl to go through it, when I haven't even bothered to try myself. I am 'giving' myself 3 rounds of own egg IVF and then will do ED.

I also wish you all the best! Go for it!!!

Offline BroodySingle

• VIP Member Sponsor
    • Ever hopeful
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 30/01/20, 14:19 »
    Hi Salty,

Unfortunately I can comment on most of your questions, Iím very new to this myself, but I can certainly understand your situation.

Iím 36, single and starting my IVF journey.

I recently found out that my AMH is 0.44 and Iím waiting to find out my FSH next week. Iím hoping AF arrives this weekend or Monday/ Tuesday so I have a chance at day 3 testing (otherwise itíll be day 2 or 5 and Iím not sure which is more accurate).

I have to admit to being naive when I went for my appointment with my consultant. I didnít understand about AMH or that my chance of conceiving was so low. Honestly, I feel like I shouldíve checked all this earlier and now itís maybe too late.

Iím also wondering what to do if Iím able to start my cycle in March. Should I, given my situation, gather as many eggs as I can from once cycle, see how many make it to blast (if possible) then freeze all and do another cycle the next month with hopefully a fresh ET (and if I was Uber lucky some additional ones to freeze).

Or, if my quality is low, have it / them transferred straight away if freezing is a risk?

I have no idea.

Iím also okay with the DE route, and wonít leave it too long if Iím unsuccessful with OE, but like you I feel I need to try OE.

Mac, sorry youíre having a hard time of it! Itís great youíre preserving though. There is always hope!

xxxx

Offline Saltysea

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 30/01/20, 20:04 »
    Hey broody, we actually also chatted on your other threads.
    Quite honestly, my personal advice is going to be a little different to most I imagine.
    Definitely do one cycle and see what happens, take it as it comes, try and not overthink and plan it (it will make you an anxious wreck!). Definitely decide what is important to you (eg. 2 children or 1 OE asap...) and make sure your consultant knows this pre-transfer and then go on their advice. You may get plenty of eggs, ones that are too poor to freeze, only one or or or... in the end it will all work out and ultimately we have no control over it. And I am flying in from another country to get the Lister treatment because I feel the doctors (and clinic) is that good so IĎm completely letting them decide - itís what we all pay them for, to be the experts they are.

Offline BroodySingle

• VIP Member Sponsor
    • Ever hopeful
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 31/01/20, 08:00 »
    Hi Salty,

Yes youíre right!

Iíll reply on the other thread so as not to derail this one!

Mac, hope all is well with you!

xxx

Offline Mac78

• I do believe in miracles.
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 31/01/20, 21:44 »
    Hi all,

All good here, just a bit anxious with this mock cycle. I have been here before and had to stop all medication on day 11 when the scan showed a possible polyp, so now I know it wasn't, but my body got all confused and I am on day 50 of my cycle. Needless to say that this is a weird cycle  :(
    I have a scan on Sunday to check my lining and praying it's all good this time, only then I can have hopes for a transfer next month  ^pray^

Offline BroodySingle

• VIP Member Sponsor
    • Ever hopeful
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 1/02/20, 08:15 »

I have a scan on Sunday to check my lining and praying it's all good this time

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!  ^pray^

xxx

Offline NOV12

modify
    « Reply #8 on: 1/02/20, 11:50 »
    Hi Saltysea

Sorry to hear about your CP, itís awful to have a glimmer of hope only for it to be dashed.

I canít give answers to all of your questions, but wanted to share my experience. I was also with the lister and thought they were brilliant, our diagnosis was initially MFI due to a varicocele and I also have low AMH which dropped  throughout the course  of our treatment because it went on for years. I donít know this for sure and I have no medical training whatsoever other than becoming an expert in my own infertility - what joy!! - but I am convinced that the thing that made a difference for me was having a frozen transfer. Long story short, after our heavily medicated last cycle at the lister I moved to natural modified IVF (v low does stims, low enough that you can do consecutive cycles and collections) and spent 6 cycles embryo banking resulting in 2 blasts and 4 day 3s of high quality. I then did two medicated frozen transfers, first transferring two of our day 3s which resulted in pregnancy and then miscarriage at 8 weeks and second a day 3 embryo cultured  to day 5 which resulted in my current 17 week pregnancy.

In all of this torturous journey I never had a flicker of a BFP from any of our 3 fresh cycles including from  a 5aa blast, but then moment we changed tack to frozen transfers - two pregnancies. I canít say for sure why things changed but it feel in my heart that 1. Not having my body full of stims and 2. Carefully timing transfer to my peak ovulation window was the final price of the puzzle.

I am currently 38 and Im pleased that my embryos were created when I was 36 even though  it was so incredibly hard to wait with everyone around me getting pregnant at the drop of a hat. If you are producing great quality blasts, maybe try another cycle aiming to get more for the freezer and try and FET.

Good luck with whatever you chose.
    X

Offline Saltysea

modify
    « Reply #9 on: 1/02/20, 16:10 »
    Thank you so much for your input, Nov! I really appreciate it!

So glad it did finally work for you and I'm sure with 17 weeks, this will be the one for you! Wishing you a problem-free ride from here, you certainly deserve it!

It is interesting how successful frozen transfers have become due to improved ways of freezing the embryos. What you say has made me feel more positive about the 3 we have frozen, at least that's something new to try after our next (and last) cycle. This (second) cycle unfortunately was far from as successful as the first one and we unfortunately had nothing to freeze so your message comes at the right time to cheer me up  :)

x