* Author Topic: What to expect - recurrent miscarriage appointment??  (Read 1521 times)

0 Members

Offline Bubbles12

• VIP Member Sponsor
Hey 😁

In short, 4 pregnancies, 4 losses. Ds (living) was the result of 3rd pregnancy but as he was a twin, my GP has classed that as a loss too.

2 losses from CP
2 losses after seeing heartbeat.

Im lucky that i have managed to get a cancellation for friday after waiting only 3 weeks.

What should i expect from my 1st appointment?

Im also lucky in the fact that my local hospital and clinic where im receiving treatment is where Prof.Quenby is based.

Not sure how relevant that is mind as my app is on the gynae ward.
 I have a few questions if anyone could answer?

Would i be eligible for Kryotyping on NHS?
As ive had a child, would i even need it?
I know they test for blood clotting and thyroid, but what else will the test for?

I do wonder if i would see Prof. Quenby as an NHS patient. My bet is i wouldnt. I have a very vague memory of having a chat with her way before i had DS but i could be wrong.

Any advice would be handy. I have a tendency of having high expectations so i want to go in there, kinda knowing what im going to get out of it.

(Ps, i know there is a 50% chance i wont get anything out of it)

Thanks in advance

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Sandersing20

modify
    What to expect - recurrent miscarriage appointment??
    « Reply #1 on: 9/12/19, 20:34 »
    Hi Bubbles12

Firstly, Iím so sorry for your losses..

I went to the recurrent miscarriage clinic in Chelsea & Westminster as well as having an initial appointment with Lesley Regan. I am still a patient. Both of my initial appointments were brief where you will tell them your history and crucially, if you had any of the tissues from the m/cís tested. That will direct them as to what exact tests will be needed. They will send you off to have blood tests - 3/4 vials needed. They test for sticky blood, protein s, among others. You would only be considered for karyotyping depending on what the tissues came back with. In my case it was a trisomy that resulted in a miscarriage. I have had a hysteroscopy carried out in the past so I donít know if they will suggest that again. My first appointment happened at the end of September, I had first set of blood tests results come back end October where I was asked to repeat one of them. Iím waiting to be told when my second appointment will be to discuss the results. They donít discuss or test for immune issues and I know many people on here have had great results from treatment. Just an FYI. Worth investigating if they donít find anything.

I read Lesley Regans book called ĎMiscarriage, what every woman needs to knowí. It was good to break down what you can expect from the investigations.

Good luck! I really hope you find an answer to stop this from happening to you again.

Offline Pv7882

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 10/12/19, 13:16 »
    Hi Bubbles12, sos sorry for ur losses. I ve also been to Prof.Quenby in the past (3 years ago). Normally, u ll see Prof Q or one of her team, that where they send the recurrent miscarriage referrals to. Tests wise, i think Sandersing has covered it almost everything. But u may be asked to go for an uNK test (uterine natural killer cells test) as well, thats the only immune testing Prof.Q does (however its 3 yrs ago, so not very sure whether something has changed now).
    Best of luck in ur journey!!

Offline Bubbles12

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 10/12/19, 21:44 »
    Hi

Thank you for the info.

Ive only just thought, i was going to go on my own, should OH come with me? He works nights so dont really want him messing his sleep up if he doesnt need to come 🤔

Ive definitely had the NK Cell test,  but it was just a blood test. Cost alot of money but they found all to be normal.
    Can this change in age? Could it be that 6 years ago it was fine, but now there could be an issue?

I have read that Prof. Quenby does take a different approach than others..

I guess i will find out friday 😳

Offline Sandersing20

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 10/12/19, 22:33 »
    Hi Bubbles,

I donít know much about immunes but I know that people get them checked frequently so it might well be that your situation needs them to be redone.

I didnít take my partner with me to either clinic. They never asked for him either.

Good luck!

Offline Pv7882

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 11/12/19, 10:18 »
    Hi Bubbles,

My consultant (a private one) says the immunes change every year, so has to be retested to adjust the medications.
    As far as NK cells test is concerned, Prof Q doesnt believe in testing it in bloods, she does an uterine biopsy to find out the NK cells in the uterine environment. Guess she does it twice in two different months to compare the cells..And it doesnt come under NHS, you hav to pay for it.

Offline Cloudy

• Volunteer
    • Gotta keep dancin' ducky!
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 11/12/19, 20:50 »
    Sorry for you loss Bubbles  ^hugme^

I had a NHS RMC referral and they did test Karyotype on both of us because they did it as standard in our area for 3 losses (even in couples with a healthy baby).

Iím sure Prof Brosens and Quenby used to have NHS patients when I was under them, but I know the research has changed so Iím not sure now.

I was also told to take my husband as we both had blood tests and had to answer questions etc.

The other thing that we were able to access from our RMC Dr was 5mg Folic acid on prescription and pessaries: also weekly scans up to 12 weeks, and genetic testing on any future losses.

Good luck xxx

Offline Bubbles12

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 11/12/19, 21:56 »
    Thank you all for the info..

So with everything fertility related, its a post code lottery it seems with this as well.

I did read that Quenby likes to do biopsy to test for NK Cell.
    Would that be a hystereocpy by any chance? I know its spelt wrong.
    I only ask because when i first went to the clinic back in 2014 when trying for DS, they preformed one if these, along with a scratch... both on the NHS but i didnt have a follow up one.

I know this isnt ideal, but we cant afford to go private and pay for RM tests. I have 3 frosties and can only just afford those transfers. Plus with OH getting on a but now, we cant really afford to wait.

Thoughts have been had on whether to pack all this in if its just going to cause more heartache.

I may see what my consultant says and see what he is will to prescribe for me on my FET.

Offline Cloudy

• Volunteer
    • Gotta keep dancin' ducky!
    modify
    « Reply #8 on: 13/12/19, 21:01 »
    Prof Q and B do the biopsy in the same style of having a scratch: and it acts as a scratch too. They do it while you are awake and it takes less than 10 seconds. If I remember they only do them on certain days of the week and the results are emailed in a few weeks and you get a telephone follow-up to discuss them.

Xxx

Offline Bubbles12

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #9 on: 14/12/19, 21:34 »
    I was really lucky that it was with Dr Quenby herself. She is such a nice lady.

So, ive had bloods done for numerous things, VitD, TSH, blood clotting and some others. They took about 7 vials. We also had the kyrotpying bloods done (both me and husband)

She said she doesnt think i should be having clexane unless actually diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder but i should be on metformin to which she has prescribed, along with progesterone.
    She said given the fact of how many times ive been pregnant, she doesnt doubt i will have another baby, she seemed really confident on that which gave me comfort, not so much what she said, but i felt she meant it.
    She said now i am under her care, its all about being honest and upfront and having the support there should i get pregnant again. So this means, if i get pregnant again, i will have to call a number and will the have scans at 6,8 and 10 weeks pregnant. She said the aim of this is to relieve stress on me on hubby with the ongoing worrying of 'what is happening'.

So, she said as soon as i am emotionally ready too, get on and with my next transfer.
    So im guessing i wont be having a biopsy, at least not or if they find something in my bloods.
    I have a telephone appointment in 4 weeks to go through my blood results but be mindful, only 50% of patients they get a diagnoses.