* Author Topic: Start of my Journey  (Read 273 times)

0 Members

Offline Amy-May

• Un-Ranked
modify
Start of my Journey
« on: 15/01/20, 19:59 »
I am 48, fit and healthy, have been trying to conceive for 9 months now.  Have been seen by Consultant, my ovaries have been checked and no problems, my fallopian tubes checked....
I was started on 50mg Chlomide albeit didn't seem to be ovulating. I am now on my second trial of Chlomide (100mg).  I am now just worried that with my age my eggs are going to be poor quality and  my parter and I are worried about the associated risks and are considering going down the egg donation route as eggs will be of better quality from a younger donor. My sister went down the egg donation route after having several miscarriages and has advised me to consider going straight to egg donation (whether this be frozen eggs or the other)

I am currently looking at having this treatment abroad as I am too old for many clinics here, the cost is cheaper and  abroad they seem to be much more on the ball than our old NHS which I feel don't really take it seriously.  Abroad things seems to be more advanced.

Would appreciate thoughts and advice
Frozen egg donation or not?
Treatment abroad and best countries to consider?

Regards
A Butterfly

Hoping

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Mochashosh

modify
    Start of my Journey
    « Reply #1 on: 15/01/20, 22:31 »
    Hello Amy-May and welcome.

I really, really don't want to say this, but I'm a couple of years behind you age-wise and I'm afraid at our age the chances of success with own-egg IFV/ICSI are practially nil.  I wish I could give us both different news, I really do.  You have a small chance of conceiving naturally, but a much bigger chance with donor eggs - like around 50%, all things being equal.

But what does your heart say?  If you're not fussed about the genetic material coming from elsewhere then your most realistic chance is with donor eggs.  But if you don't want to do that, that's perfectly OK too.  Lots of women enquire about it but never go ahead.

I presume your partner's sperm has been checked?  If he has problems as well you'll need to take that into consideration, although there are many things that can be done to help.

You're not too old for clinics here; legally you're allowed to have assisted conception up to the age of 50.  But not with your own eggs (it's allowed but clinics won't do it because the success rates are so low).

There's an awful lot to be taken into consideration when deciding whether to have a UK or overseas donor.  Some things to think about are:
    - The choice of donors (bigger abroad)
    - Your own ethnic origins and how close a match you're looking for
    - Whether you want the child to be able to trace the donor mother at age 18 (they have the right to contact her in the UK, but not elsewhere)
    - The reputability and safety (or otherwise) of overseas clinics - things are not as tightly regulated abroad as they are here
    - The cost, which includes the cost of any investigations you'll need, and the cost of travelling to a clinic and staying abroad for a day or two - or up to a week - if you go overseas

Another option is to be based with a consultant in the UK but go overseas for the eggs.  There are several clinics that organize this, and they will only work with overseas clinics they consider to be reputable and safe.

A lot of us on here will have strong opinions one way or another, but it's not up to us; it's up to you.  What I'd suggest is that you browse the forums and have a look at other people's experiences so that you get more of an idea of what's involved and what might feel right for you and your partner.  Then ask questions.  Lots of questions.  Private message people if you're not OK with asking in a public forum.  Some people find this decision quite easy; others not so much.  Keep talking and keep asking so that, whichever way you go, you're confident that it's the best possible decision for you and your partner.  If you're already with a clinic they may offer counselling (they're supposed to).  If you think you might find that helpful, use it. 

I wish you the very, very best with this.
    xx

Offline miamiamo

• Gold Member
    modify
    Start of my Journey
    « Reply #2 on: 27/01/20, 18:58 »
    Hi and welcome, the international thread on fertilityfriends is very helpful. If you are considering to undergo IVF in Europe, I can recommend my clinic, very affordable prices, amasing and experienced doctors, and high success rates.