* Author Topic: Hi all, I知 single, broody and have just found out I have very low AMH & AFC  (Read 792 times)

0 Members

Offline BroodySingle

• VIP Member Sponsor
  • Ever hopeful
Hi all,

I知 new here, so wanted to say hello and hopefully find other ladies on a similar journey to mine.

After a few long term relationships which ended badly, the last one 7 years ago, I gave up on trying to the elusive 双ne and just set out to find myself. Mission accomplished, and I知 in a much better place for it, turned my attention to the one whole I hadn稚 filled - being a mother.

So, I set out to get myself in order (work, mortgage etc.) and when that was complete I invested hours in researching my options. I知 only 36 so I thought it would be an easy task, a sperm donor, a minimally invasive procedure...

I made an appointment at the Lister, which I went to last week. Having my pre-consultant scan I was floored when I was told that my AMH was 0.4 and I only had two decent follicles on my left ovary. I had two more teenie ones and two or three teenie ones on my right (when the lovely nurse could eventually find it!).

Queue a restless hour long wait for the consultant and again, as lovely as he was, received the news 訴t痴 now or never.

Whilst it was always my intention to start my journey to becoming a parent ASAP, I naively thought it would be on my terms...never did I think it might not happen.

So now I知 anxiously awaiting AF so that I can have my FSH levels checked (anticipating further bad news there) then hopefully starting my first IVF cycle in March.

Whilst I知 happy to go it alone, my dad, his girlfriend and my best friend have been absolutely amazing and I知 so thankful I have them as support.

xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Tincancat

• Gold Member
    Hi Broody
    Your AMH isn't a reflection of quality but of egg reserve so even with a low AMH there will be proption of normal eggs will be higher than a 40 year old with same AMH.  All you can do is see how you respond to IVF: you may be pleasantly surprised.  I'd be inclined to do a few cycles if you can and bank some frozen embryos then do a FET transfer.  Obviously if you only end up with a couple of embryos then I'd say put them back fresh and see how you go.  Otherwise if you can get say 6 x 5 day embryos banked then you have a good chance of a pregnancy and a sibling.  Fresh successful cycle now would limit opportunity for a sibling if that's something you would like because by the time you got around to another cycle you will be that much older.
    Good Luck.
    TCCx

Offline Saltysea

Hey Broody

I had similar news to you last year. I am now 36 and with an AMH of 0.9 also at the Lister. It's poop news to get. It takes time to work through it. If you start feeling depressed or anxious, please know that cognitive-behavioural therapy can really help a huge amount in a short space of time to teach you some skills to deal with this.

All I can say, I think the Lister is the best place you can be. Do at least one cycle, see how you respond and talk to the consultants about your chances. My first cycle was surprisingly good.

I hope this doesn't upset you, but think about how you feel about egg donation?

To me having a child is about family and having the experiences of being a mother to a child that's growing up, not the genetic connection. My plan is to do 3 cycles and if that fails, I'll move on to egg donation. Of course, it's different for everyone but I just want to make sure you know your chances of having a child are still there, irrespective of your AMH.

Good luck, hun!

Offline Saltysea

Oh and broody - read the three documents on the Lister homepage under treatment - diminished ovarian reserve. There are 3 pdf's that are really well written and relevant to our situation. These really helped me as opposed to the dangers of googling (try and avoid google)!

Offline BroodySingle

• VIP Member Sponsor
    • Ever hopeful
    Thanks TCC & Salty. As a minimum it痴 nice not to feel totally alone  :)

TCC - Thanks for the advice, it makes sense. I値l definitely keep your suggestion in mind as I go through. I guess I値l have to get good about assessing my options in advance but making relatively quick decisions at the situation changes.

Salty - Yep, I知 definitely comfortable with my decision to go with the Lister. (Thanks for the links!) I read up on so many clinics, but the Lister felt like the right fit for me when starting this journey. I致e considered ED. Whilst I壇 obviously prefer to use OE if I need to make the call to use DE then I will. I agree that being a parent isn稚 just genetics.

AFM, I致e actually managed to secure donor sperm! No one tells you how difficult that process is. The first two I chose were either unavailable (by an hour or two) or no longer UK compliant, so getting that email from Xytex yesterday was a relief.

Offline kittykat76

• Gold Member
    Hi there, I went it alone and have a 2yr old, it was a pretty long journey for me with recurrent miscarriage but totally worth it. I would go into 1st cycle with an open mind and see how you respond-you almost need to treat it as a practice run and take it scan by scan as its all unknown. My 1st cycle was cancelled as although I had lots of follies they just weren't growing and it floored me. I have pcos so they kept going on about being careful that I wasnt overstimulated and having it cancelled just hadn't entered my head!! The next cycle they altered the drug strength and all was fine,I just had to learn not to overthink and try micro manage it all as its impossible to! I had decided to move to DE if my last OE hadn't worked, the genetics just aren't important to me,several friends have moved to DE as well. The Lister are great, I was at Zita West and they were fab. Lots of luck!

Offline BroodySingle

• VIP Member Sponsor
    • Ever hopeful
    Thanks, KittyKat.

That痴 the thing I知 learning really fast...for everything you do think of, there痴 always 10 more you haven稚. And, I値l definitely go crazy if I try to micro manage it all.

It痴 just hard.

And so distracting. It痴 all I think about now.

All day every day.

Anyone else have that? Does it pass?

I知 glad your dream came true! It must be so rewarding and special <3

xxx

Offline Saltysea

Completely had that, it can really take over your life if you let it. The cognitive behavioral therapy tips and funny enough the Calm app really helped in putting this back into perspective for me. It sucks but there are so many other problems one can have that are as bad or worse as well. And this can so quickly have a happy ending. If you are not against egg donation then you have little to worry about, it痴 a matter of time until you will have yourself a baby. Not that I僧 minimizing this or saying you don稚 have a right to be upset! I panicked and got really anxious at the start and sometimes in between, but as a whole I have been able to feel the above more often than not.

Offline BroodySingle

• VIP Member Sponsor
    • Ever hopeful
    Thanks Salty.

I think I致e worked my plan (as much as I can until the situation changes it!) which has helped me feel a bit more settled. I need to find the money for it but hey.

Cycle 1: Freeze all if any eggs are retrieved, then make it to blast and finally are good enough quality to freeze. (There痴 a lot of ifs and buts in there.)

Cycle 2 (if the above is successful): fresh transfer with any remaining quality blasts frozen.

Cycle3: FET transfer if the fresh cycle didn稚 work and there were frozen blasts from cycle 1.

Cycle 4: Another FET transfer if I have remaining blasts OR at this point I値l move onto DE FET

Cycle 5: Remaining DE via FET if any viable blasts.

It痴 possibly a very naive plan right now but it痴 oddly calming just to have it.  :)

I知 not due to see the consultant again before my cycle so I値l discuss it with the Nurse at my Nurse Consultation and then maybe email or call my consultant to discuss.

Thanks for your words of wisdom, it痴 really helped.

xxx

Offline kittykat76

• Gold Member
    It does tend to take over your life! I think having a plan really helps, I found the limboland the worst-when you are waiting inbetween treatments but having a plan really helped plus I knew what I was going to do if needed to move on to DE. The nurses used to tell me not to think negatively but it wasnt negative it was have a plan In place if needed so I didn't then waste time. Plus I found I got really depressed after my miscarriages if didn't have a focus. I even contacted a clinic abroad so was ready to go if OE didn't work,there are so many out there that I wanted to know where I would go etc. Being a Mummy is amazing and I am so grateful every day for my boy, there was a time I didn't think it would happen for me but you just have to keep going, I was determined to do everything I could so if for some reason it never happened then at least I couldn't regret not trying