* Author Topic: Treatment Chat 2020  (Read 1024 times)

0 Members

Offline snowdropwood

modify
Treatment Chat 2020
« Reply #10 on: 22/02/20, 18:10 »
HI there,

yes I remember feeling very overwhelmed at the nurse / planning meeting  - too much information and anxiety about injections  - in the end I found the injections really fine and pain free, finding room in a very small fridge was more of a problem. 

yes i have just posted under DD thread about choosing egg donor .  Finding it impossible and resistance to reading the 3 profiles which the co ordinater selected for me and sent to me to look through  - any advice / experience from any one would be great .  The Consultant and co ordinator both v helpful at BCRM however I feel quite overwhelmed atm particularly around the donor decision and the wider issues of going ahead with this treatment and the possibilities of failure / risks etc at each stage / each step.  However I feel better when I take things a day at a time yet there has to be a degree of planning / looking ahead of course. I think choosing the donor is a source of deep anxiety atm and once i have made this decision I think I will feel relieved.  The therapy ( which i have on the phone ) is also crucial  - there is 4 as part of the treatment and 1 implications counselling charged separately.

I have also talked a bit with some family / friends which has helped ( not surprisingly !)  - it really is a huge process for a person to go through so I think that anxiety/ doubt / worry are probably really natural. 

The next appointment in due course is the planning meeting about the treament . 

Very good luck with things - yes time has a way of drawing out when we are eager and ready to get going doesn't it ?!

xx
So the next steps are choosing the donor and a planning meeting looking at the treatment process, meds , timings etc ....also the therapy sessions too. 

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    modify
    Treatment Chat 2020
    « Reply #11 on: 22/02/20, 20:26 »
    Hi all,

I'm 34, and had my son almost 2 years ago on IVF #6. I'm now trying for baby #2. I had my first IUI in November but sadly miscarried at 3 months, so now waiting for AF to try IUI#2. Can't afford to do IVF again so hoping IUI will eventually work  ^pray^

Offline Anenome

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    Treatment Chat 2020
    « Reply #12 on: 26/02/20, 12:00 »
    Hi Snowdropwood,

I am a solo mum with donor embryo conceived twins who are 13.  Because my donors are anonymous, I didn't have any choice at all, so I was in a different position to you.  However, I can totally understand how anxiety making it is to try and make a choice as well as choosing a sperm donor.   

I am a member of the Donor Conception Network and would really recommend ringing them to talk through your concerns as well as possibly joining as they will put you in touch with other women who have used double donation in the UK and will have thoughts on choosing a donor.   Your UK clinic should give you free implications counselling so I am not sure why you are paying?   The clinic counsellor should also see you to talk through issues like choosing a donor.

Maybe a donor who has also had successful pregnancies would be a starting point?   Choosing a donor who has some of your characteristics e.g. hair colour, skin tone, eye colour etc may increase the chance of a child who looks like a good fit for you as a family as that is important to donor conceived children?  Having said that, genes are not highly predictable and trying to control these things is often very hit and miss!

Other areas which may 'speak' to you are pen portraits or letters from the donor if you have them, or interests, education?

You can PM me if you wish to talk more?

Best wishes,
    A xx

Offline BroodySingle

• VIP Member Sponsor
    • Ever hopeful
    modify
    Treatment Chat 2020
    « Reply #13 on: 26/02/20, 14:06 »
    Hi ladies,

Snow - I completely understand your anxieties. When I chose my DS, I spent a long time weighing up the pros and cons of each donor...to the point I lost the first two as I didn't realise how quickly they get snapped up. I think there'll always be a bit of 'What if...' when you use a donor. You just have to remember that you made the best decision that you could at the time. I'm much more of a planner, which actually helps calm my anxieties.  ;D

Agree with Anenome, my clinic has an 'Open Door' policy regarding counselling. I can go as much as I need to and it's completely free. I really don't understand why you would be charged as I thought it was something they have to offer?

Pollita - Welcome & so sorry about your miscarriage. I'm waiting to start my first IVF treatment and am single so can only imagine, but I hope with time the pain subsides and you have all the luck on the next IUI.  ^pray^

Anenome - Welcome! Some very thoughtful insight, thanks :) I definitely agree that using a donor with reported pregnancies is a great place to start. Obviously, it's never a guarantee, but it does allow a little more hope than a completely unknown situation.

AFM, I went for my implications counselling this morning. Was dreading it. Dreading being judged for my decisions. Dreading that the person sitting opposite me would say I wasn't in the right place to proceed...but it actually went really well. I had a great open and honest chat with her, laughed a bit, cried a bit and talked through everything to do with using DS. We actually also discussed my stance on DD as this is a very real possibility for me and she was really candid about the potential outcomes of everything. Whilst I was dreading it at first, I think it was actually super important for me to have the discussion I had to day.

Now I just have about 2 weeks to wait until I can finally start! Looks like this cycle I'll be having two 2WW  ;D

I've also joined the DCN. So far, no one has responded to my post...but maybe I'm posting in the wrong place. Now that my Implications Counselling is complete I will have a further dive into the site.

xxx

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    Treatment Chat 2020
    « Reply #14 on: 2/03/20, 21:16 »
    Hi all,

How is everyone ? I have planning meeting tomorrow - I found choosing the egg donor and processing the enormity of what I am doing really emotionally exhausting - but relieved that step is taken now, so step at a time I guess - reading /talking / DCN all helpful recently  - xxx

Offline pollita

• Gold Member
    modify
    Treatment Chat 2020
    « Reply #15 on: 21/03/20, 13:57 »
    My treatment has been postponed until after this virus has passed. Sadly I'm also suddenly out of work so I'm not sure if I'll even be in a position to try again. I hope so
    Hope everyone is keeping well

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    Treatment Chat 2020
    « Reply #16 on: 21/03/20, 21:29 »
    Hi Pollita  - sorry - yes who would have thought this would happen  = yes I hope that you will be i  a position to try again too , such uncertain times x