* Author Topic: Changing donors when have children already?  (Read 554 times)

0 Members

Offline Larniegh

• Gold Member
I'm in turmoil. I'm a solo mum and considering no 3 but here's the issue, I did egg sharing when it was free at my clinic. But now it's about £2k including sperm. Iui is a similar price but obviously much easier on the body. My previous donor is icsi only though so I can't keep him for iui.

I just don't know what to do. Half of me says suck it up and egg share again and the other half says it doesnt matter if no 3 is a different donor. They'll be siblings in our home and all donor conceived one way or another!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline BroodySingle

• Un-Ranked
    • Ever hopeful
    modify
    Changing donors when have children already?
    « Reply #1 on: 6/02/20, 14:10 »
    Hi Larniegh,

I completely understand where youíre coming from as thereís a strong possibility Iíll be in the same boat if Iím successful with IVF. Iím single, moving forward to go it alone, but the amount of sperm from the donor may not be enough for siblings.

I guess it really does depend on whatís right for you and your family. What are you planning to tell your children, if anything at all? I guess that will be a big factor in deciding overall.

Thereís no right or wrong answer. I donít think having the children bu different donors is an issue personally. There are many families who have half siblings so itís not unusual.

The only factor is how it will impact you and your family, however if it was me I wouldnít let it stop me having another child.

Hope thatís helpful.

Good luck on your journey.

xxx

Offline Me, Myself and I

• Gold Member
    • Single Mother By Choice
    modify
    Changing donors when have children already?
    « Reply #2 on: 11/02/20, 16:59 »
    I only have the one child and one of the factors I didn't ttc again was that the donor had stopped donating and for me it was important that all my children would have had the same biological factors. So that whatever one was to be told would be the same as the other, neither would have more information than the other. Neither would be in a position of where of they sought the donor that the outcome would be different to their sibling. Neither would be able to gleam any more information via dna tests that now seem de rigeur. They'd be exactly the same. Both my children with no differences.
    Now obviously we all know life isn't fair and equitable, but I wouldn't want to set them apart from conception. Just my take.