* Author Topic: C virus UK and treatment being cancelled  (Read 3377 times)

0 Members

Offline snowdropwood

ME - Private DD IVF in UK

At the moment the Clinic  ( Bristol ) are saying nothing which I find absolutly crap.

The news / gov info/ health info and every thing i read and hear suggests that:

NHS staff and facilities and private health care nurses and doctors and facilities will be redeployed ( and retrained for ventilation training ) soon. Private beds will be used for emergency care too . All non urgent business will be shut down . 

Am I the only one that is wanting some info form my clinic. ? why are they silent ? Just started meds / donor in  the middle of treatment and if/. when cancelled she prob wont want to repeat . DD is particularly complicated as involves 3 people but if everyones treamtent is going to be cancelled why are we not being given information / advice/ information on refunds ( or not as the case may be) .  It is a massive psychological deal and many people might be on their last hope and last scrap of energy with IVF and not not be able to continue after current treatment is cancelled .

Has anyone actually had info form UK clinics ? I feel like i am going mads and no one is listening to be honest ! thanks x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Online Stacey10

• Gold Member
    modify
    C virus UK and treatment being cancelled
    « Reply #1 on: 15/03/20, 22:49 »
    Maybe the cycle will carry on and embryos be frozen for a letter fet ? Rather than cancelling mid cycle for the donors etc.

Offline Mees_72

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 15/03/20, 22:51 »
    I can not tell how the situation is in Bristol, but the deal may be the same like Cyprus, where I should have been for treatment. They canceled the treatment for me; I was going to get a fresh DE. 8 hours before take of I had to cancel the flight... The lady-donor, of course, could not cancel her treatment so her necessary treatment and the eggcollection was done as planned. It looks like absolutely necessary treatments are going to be done and all that can be postponed, will be postponed. I have to go back after the summer (if corona is gone) and get a FET in stead of a fresh DE.

I see the same thing happening in different country's with all kind of branches/activities; only the absolute necessary will be done, just to prevent contacts and infections with the coronavirus.

They should keep you informed, but as long as the don't say your treatment wil be postponed, I would keep to your protocol (medication). Maybe they find your treatment also absolutely necessary and will continue... I hope so for you.

Wish you the best!

Offline Mac78

• I do believe in miracles.
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 16/03/20, 11:24 »
    Hi, snowdrop

I am not cycling in the UK, in fact, I am just back from Spain after a DE transfer last week. I was and still really worried about the whole corona situation before and after the transfer. My first concern was "is my transfer going to be cancelled"? I asked my coordinator if the clinic had any protocol in place and even questioned if I had to be tested before the transfer. The answer was that the Spanish Fertility Society and the Spanish Government had issued standard protocols and recommendations to help prevention of the virus, and the directors of the clinic were implementing all necessary extra measures. Very vague as she did not say what was all the necessary extra measures.
    We decided to trust and carry on as DH was already there to do his part, and everything went ahead as planned. Two days after the transfer Spain declared a state of emergency and then I got really worried. At this point, I had been there for over a week and DH 2 weeks so we both could potentially be carrying the virus. My plan was the rest in Spain after the transfer for another week, but I book a flight straight away and came back home. I was expecting to be tested when entering in the UK, but nothing happened. We both had a sore throat and headaches until yesterday, but both feeling well today, DH is working from home for the next two weeks and I am on holiday, so not leaving the house or seeing anyone.
    We all know that this journey is very stressful, but I can honestly say that these 2-weeks waiting has become even more stressful as I am constantly anxious, not just about if we have achieved pregnancy, but also worried if we did, how we are going to be able to protect ourselves from this virus. The stress of not getting the virus would be constantly present and although I know that is very likely that it won't be life-threatening, on my case, but getting the virus on the first trimester could increase chances of a miscarriage. I have friends in Italy and they said that the coughing is the worst stage, so I can't imagine dealing with something like that on the first trimester.
    So I think what you also need to ask yourself is, even if your Clinic is willing to go ahead would you still want to go ahead with the treatment now? I decided to go ahead and now I am finding overwhelming. :( I am trying my best to stay positive and hope for the best outcome but it is not easy. ^pray^

Offline Mac78

• I do believe in miracles.
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 16/03/20, 12:49 »
    Just as I finished typing my message above, I received an email from my coordinator saying that the Clinic will be closed from tomorrow and all the treatments are now suspended until further notice. The decision is based on the restrictions imposed by the Spanish Government over the weekend, which include the obligation of all public and private medical clinics to remain completely at the disposition of both the Government and the military from tomorrow.

I know here in the UK the cases are lower than in Spain but has taken less than 2 weeks for things to spiral really fast over there. I don't know why the UK Government is not really taking measures and communicating those with all the sectors and the people. It's really concerning that when they do act will be too late and many lives will be lost.

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 16/03/20, 17:16 »
    God, what an awful situation.  The clinic is telling me nothing ( Bristol) and just anxious 100 % of the time. I am single DD ivf and it is all too much x

Offline Love_Lucy

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 16/03/20, 20:48 »
    Snowdrop I understand your anxiety! I was due to start my FET cycle in a few weeks which Iíve been preparing for for quite a while. My anxiety has been so elevated waiting to hear whatís going to happen. Iím at the same clinic in Spain as Mac78 and so was told they were closing for an unknown amount of time. Theyíre a private hospital and will be supporting the government with equipment etc which of course is the right thing to do.

I am really sad though  :-[ weíve been preparing ourselves for our next cycle for a long time now and you all know the anxiety that comes with it is mentally exhausting.

Hopefully youíll know more from Bristol soon so you know where you stand xxx

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    « Reply #7 on: 16/03/20, 21:00 »
    Ah this is so sad for everyone after all the prep and patience and resilience and planning and psychological / emotional journey. It is an unprecedented situation i hear and how could any one prepare or predict it ? things being postponed means more waiting / new planning / treatments possibly more donor treatments , drugs , proceedures ,just awful for everyone on this IVF journey.

It seems crazy with BCRM that they have not sent mail outs to update people , no medic will speak to me , emails ignored so I dont have a clue  (other than i think it will be cancelled and facilities redeployed and staff redeployed )   i didnt think it could get any worse to be single having DD IVF at 43 on me tod , no supoport, then it did get worse ! x

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    « Reply #8 on: 16/03/20, 21:20 »
    Are people expecting forthcoming IVF in the UK to be cancelled ? Have UK Cinics / Are they giving info and advice to you ?

At My clinic BCRM it is not possible to speak to  a medic  - thank you x

Offline Sunshine80

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #9 on: 17/03/20, 11:44 »
    Hi,

Iíve been for my day 7 scan today and been advised that treatment may be cancelled or embryos frozen but they donít know yet so Iím still carrying on with the meds and having a day 9 scan on Thursday where hopefully theyíll be able to tell me more.

Iím devastated as Iíve done FET three times and had positive pg test twice but nothing on the scan, Iíve never done a fresh cycle as I totally overstimulated last time and all embryos had to be frozen.

I just really wanted to do a fully fresh cycle and now that chance seems to be gone again. Feeling really selfish as I totally get this Coronavirus needs to be dealt with and should take priority but why bloody now!!! 😩

If I find out more on Thursday, Iíll let you know. Iím at Leeds Fertility BTW.