* Author Topic: FET postponed due to Covid-19  (Read 1792 times)

0 Members

Offline PippityPoppity

• Un-Ranked
modify
FET postponed due to Covid-19
« on: 27/03/20, 20:40 »
I thought I would set up a thread for anyone struggling (like me) with having their treatment cancelled due to Covid-19.

I'm with a private clinic in London and was due to have a FET with my April period... obviously not going to happen now for the foreseeable future.

I'm trying to put it into perspective and think of all the poor people who have lost their lives and count myself lucky as at least we've got embryos in the freezer but I'm really struggling. Even worse that I keep seeing memes and jokes about how there'll be a baby boom in 9 months time.

Is anyone else in the same boat and finding the uncertainty of it all really hard?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Love_Lucy

modify
    « Reply #1 on: 27/03/20, 20:51 »
    Hi PippityPoppity, sorry to hear your cycle has been cancelled, mine was for the end of April in Spain and so is also cancelled. It’s heartbreaking isn’t it, all the prep and anxiety really takes it toll anyway. There’s a couple of other threads on here from a few others going through it as well. The memes are tough to see knowing it’s not going to be us in this “boom”

https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=403859.0
    https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=403853.0

Offline Olddognewtricks

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 27/03/20, 21:13 »
    I was due to transfer at the beginning of April and had already started meds when the call came to cancel. I am also finding it difficult, alongside feeling guilty that there are much worse things that other people are going through.
    I found the following article helpful in validating my feelings of loss and uncertainty for the future. Whilst it doesn't offer hope or answers (which people in our situation are looking for) it made it feel OK to be devastated. I hope it helps someone out there that is feeling like I am.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-27/coronavirus-means-some-couples-may-never-conceive/

Offline PippityPoppity

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 27/03/20, 21:37 »
    Thank you Love_Lucy, I tried to look for existing threads before I posted but didn't see those - will check them out now.

I'm sorry to hear you are in a similar situation Olddognewtricks. Thank you for sharing that link, it's a reassuring feeling to know that it's not just me feeling like this.

Offline Love_Lucy

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 27/03/20, 21:55 »
    Thanks for sharing the link Olddognewtricks, it really does sum it up that our feelings are valid. We’re almost being made to feel irresponsible for wanting to get pregnant in this time yet at the same time people are joking about this baby boom with no concerns of those who will naturally fall pregnant

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 27/03/20, 21:58 »
    That link has interesting points - the cruel twist of all this and the fact that people conceiving naturally are not told they will be a drain on the NHS. I am finding it a  nightmare to be honest, DD treatment cancelled , my fear is that the clinics wont be open for a  very long time  - my reasoning is that the HFEA and other bodies will be hesitant to restart because they are liable where as they are not liable for the crisis and heart break caused to well they are not having treatment .  I am assuming that almost no body in the world will be having IVF at this time ( unless prior to chemotherapy or finishing cycles up till 15th April )  - is that right ?

I am single and trying to deal with this in almost isolation / social distancing , I mentioned it a few times but generally told it is not important / 'haven't  thought about adoption ' (as if that is a simple life choice to consider) and yep 'there will be a lot of babies in 9 months ' jokes are getting really tiring.   xx

Offline JippyBoo

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 27/03/20, 22:12 »
    Hi Ladies,

I was due to have a FET on 24th March at my clinic in Czech Republic. Two weeks before my transfer the Czech Republic closed their borders effectively cancelling my treatment. I was already half way through my meds and totally ready.

I really needed the hope of this FET after my last transfer ended in surgery for an ectopic in January  :'( If the pregnancy hadn't been ectopic it would have been absolutely perfect...perfect birth month (August) perfect age gap with my son, and I would have been due within a week of my best friend (which of course makes things totally worse now as she's where I should have been with her pregnancy now  :'().

And now because of my age and the fact that this thing is likely to drag on way longer than anticipated, the chances are that we're going to run out of time and my son will never have a sibling...

Devastated doesn't even come close......and if I hear one more person make a glib comment about there being a baby boom in 9 months time I might just lose it completely....

Jippy
    xxxx

Offline PippityPoppity

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 28/03/20, 08:09 »
    Jippy - sorry to hear of all you've gone through with your recent ectopic and that is devastating that your best friend will be hitting all the milestones etc you should have been. I had something similar with my second miscarriage - a work colleague had the exact same due date and so even though I was obviously so happy for her and her husband it was unbelievably poop thinking that should have been me. Hopefully your friend is understanding. Hope you are looking after yourself x

Snowdropwood - I'm so sorry you are in this horrible situation too. I have no idea when clinics will reopen, probably earlier for private clinics than NHS but that's still going to be a while off. As my treatment wasn't due to begin until CD1 of my April period, I haven't even been in touch with my clinic but I wonder if I do call them if they'll give me any more info? I'm sorry you are having to deal with this in the midst of social distancing - I'm finding it hard not doing the things I would usually do to cheer myself up (eg go shopping or go for a coffee or a nice meal etc). Keep posting if it's helpful, you're not alone!

Love_Lucy - totally agree with your comment. Why are we being punished when no government has actually told people trying naturally to stop?! It's so unfair.

I'm going to try and enjoy the day today, do a bit of gardening and read my book in the sunshine, and try not to think about IVF at all - easier said than done though isn't it.

Offline snowdropwood

modify
    « Reply #8 on: 28/03/20, 11:14 »
    I got a reply from Fertility Network UK who say they suggest the cancellations will be for 6 months .  I guess I wonder if 6 months will actually be a year . 

Does anyone have any more info ?

Like every one else I am devastated, loosing hope of ever being a Mum. x

Offline miamiamo

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #9 on: 28/03/20, 13:58 »
    @snowdropwood - try to stay positive and take care of yourself. I think nobody knows exactly how the situation will be developing, and for sure positive mood will be more correlated with successful treatments. Sending good vibes and positive energy.