* Author Topic: Changed my mind about using humira  (Read 869 times)

0 Members

Offline nuby

• Un-Ranked
modify
Changed my mind about using humira
« on: 3/05/20, 22:07 »
I feel really foolish. I've done Chicago tests and as a result was given a prescription for humira which I've order from HaH and has been delivered.  But I have changed my mind about taking it. I've started to take serrapetase and want to try alternatives, feel like I didn't give this enough thought. Dont know what to do

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline StrawberrySundae

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1 on: 4/05/20, 08:41 »
    Donít feel foolish, itís a big decision and quite understandable. I looked into humira previously and was very put off it too, so I wanted to try other options instead. It seemed like Iíd be risking my life and I had to think whether it was worth it, but I know others have used it successfully or without much problem. I think youíre doing the right thing to at least explore what else is available first. Good luck  :)

Offline Flossy34

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 4/05/20, 09:45 »

Hi
    Just to give a slightly different view. I took humira and it worked wonders for me. Enabled me to conceive twice naturally when ivf hadnít worked. But I do understand your reservations as I had them too. What I will say is that ladies with bowel disease, arthritis etc take it much more regularly and in higher doses than youíd ever need for fertility related immune issues.
    Bizarrely since having my son I no longer need humira yet I know itís what would reduce the inflammation of my endometriosis and enable me to to get pregnant. It just isnít used as an endometriosis treatment unfortunately.
    Wishing you all the best with whatever you decide to do
    X

Offline Pognut

modify
    « Reply #3 on: 4/05/20, 10:13 »
    I was at ARGC and used humira for my first cycle with them. It didn't bring my numbers down much, and they bounced up again just before the cycle but the clinic said it was ok as it was still in my system. I had a bad reaction to it, so they said not to use it again, suggesting an alternative drug. By that point, though, I'd become less confident in the science they were using and went to see Siobhan Quenby at Warwick University instead, who believes that humira doesn't treat the real problem because uNK cells and peripheral bloods don't work in the same way, and I'm using her protocol now.

I was swung by the research from Quenby being more rigorous and pointing in a very different direction. It's a really hard one. There are people on here who it seems to have helped, and others who it hasn't, as there are for so many different add-ons for which there isn't a solid research base. If you really don't want to take it, I think quite a lot of people do say no at ARGC (a nurse mentioned this to me; I was surprised as I'd just done as I was told!) and they're ok with that and will find you an alternative.

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    • Infertility veteran since 2011! BFN princess :)
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 4/05/20, 11:03 »
    Don't feel stupid, i took it and Tbh looking back i don't think i would again.
    Its a pretty hardcore drug and even though im sure a couple of doses is fine and won't do u any harm, i should of started with the lighter steroids and intralipids. Which in the end i had success with anyway.

Immunes is a blxxdy minefield.
    In the end the right protocol for me was the 1 that felt right in my gut. 10mg steroids, clexane and regular intralipids. Going with ur heart is all u can do as all the research around immunes is pretty inconclusive at this time
    X

Offline kittykat76

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 4/05/20, 23:57 »
    I used humira on my last fet, I had previously refused it as I just had it in my head that it was scary and dangerous. I tried all the other options like steroids, intralipids, ivig but none worked. Hydroxychloroqine is often used for ladies who cant use humira so that could be worth looking at. I didn't have any reaction to humira apart from getting a cold easily which didn't often happen, if anything I felt that the hydroxychloroquine was tougher on my body and my eyesight def changed. I wanted to try neupogen as was determined that is what would help me- who knows what worked for me, something did and I will never know what. As kjade says immunes are a minefield and you have to feel comfortable with what you are doing. Humira will be fine in the fridge so if change mind you can always use it later on

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 5/05/20, 22:45 »
    What dose are you talking about and for how long?

Offline nuby

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 8/05/20, 22:46 »
    Thank you for your very kind words and detailing your experiences. I have a 2 year old miracle after several rounds of ivf and literally throwing every immune treatment including humira at it. I did experience some side effects but I was taking other medication as well so who knows. This time I feel more cautious and I really don't have the appetite for the whole immune merry go round again, I think I'm just worn out after so many rounds of ivf.