* Author Topic: The Whirlwind continues.... Going Boldly.....FET #1  (Read 9711 times)

0 Members

Offline Jupiter 96

modify
The Whirlwind continues.... Going Boldly.....FET #1
« Reply #60 on: 5/09/20, 18:30 »
28 weeks and zero days pregnant

The brilliant news of this week is that I do not have gestational diabetes.  I had been worrying about that a little since I really feel very large and baby had been measuring ahead in the higher percentiles for most things.
My bump is still large, measuring 35 weeks approx.  Nobody is overly alarmed but I will be seen by a doctor at the hospital to check it out and have a scan if necessary.  A letter is in the post apparently, so not sure when that will happen.  The midwife felt that it could be related to excess fluid.   

I have a 28 week face to face appointment with a consultant at the hospital which has already been scheduled.  I will take that opportunity to ask about all of that to try to put my mind at ease. For the moment I hope that I have a long baby due to growth spurt and the size of baby and bump will be consistent with gestation as the weeks unfold.

In two weeks I have the private scan so that will be another opportunity to look at how big the baby is and whether he/she is languishing in a swimming pool versus a large bath!

Baby kicks are a joy, they strong and vary between kicks that make my stomach shake and what seems like prolonged movement, stretching maybe or a change of body position, I am not sure.  There was one quiet 12/18 hours that worried me but I got checked out and all was well.  Normal service resumed the next day....

DW is taking a rare stint cooking in the kitchen.  I needed the break so I am glad that she stepped out of her comfort zone, itís been a tough and busy week at the office.

Today has been a day of rest.  Bonding with the baby and DW naps and movies.  Lovely.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Jupiter 96

modify
    « Reply #61 on: 18/09/20, 23:42 »
    29 week, six days pregnant

Baby is measuring off the chart all around.  Approx 4lbs 4oz
    I also have a lot of amniotic fluid which are often sign of gestational diabetes but the nhs blood test said that I was not suffering from this.

Itís all rather confusing and I am trying not to worry that itís related to any other issues.  The organs all looked okay, baby was moving well, placenta and blood flow all good.

The NHS thought nothing of it due to diabetes blood test but the feedback from the private scan was that it needed to be monitored closely and checks if the possible causes.

I have to push this with my consultant I think.  Itís worrying.

Offline Jupiter 96

modify
    « Reply #62 on: 29/09/20, 08:17 »
    31 weeks and 3 days pregnant

Week 30 was terrifying due to a 2 min scan with a fetal medicine consultant

This was in relation to excess amniotic fluid.   He then proceeded to make vague and terrifying comments about my age, that I was ďnot getting any youngerĒ quoting 1 in 50 chance of something chromosome related causing the excess water.  Telling me I should have an amnio if that worried me.  I asked to test for for what?  He said ďit could be thousands of thingsĒ.   He said come next week and you can have it done if you want one.

I was then sent on my way.  No report, no discussion afterwards.  Nothing. I have been trying to balance out my terror ever since.  It was shocking give the junior doctors had spent 20 mins telling me that the private scan at 30 weeks looked reassuring and there were plenty of reasons why I have this and it wasnít extreme and did not digest and amniocentesis!

I spoke to doctor who performed my private scan and she said that there were not any alarm bells from the scan that would warrant an amniocentesis.  They recommended initial monitoring and ruling out other things since 31 weeks is still very early to risk accidentally triggering labour with invasive testing.

I am trying not to worry. I have a scan back with the nhs fetal medicine centre again this week. I am dreading it if I have to communicate with that awful doctor.  However, I will be demanding a full and comprehensive report which I then plan to take away and then get a 2nd opinion elsewhere.  I canít believe that doctor said all those things without  explaining what his pronouncement was based on.  Simply terrible.

I am struggling to keep a positive mindset

Jx

Offline Jupiter 96

modify
    « Reply #63 on: 22/10/20, 12:18 »
    33 weeks and six days pregnant

Well.... I have been monitored for the past view weeks. So I guess I donít have major blood sugar spike but there were enough just over the thresholds in pregnancy.

This could be the cause of the large baby and water versus a rare chromosomal abnormality so that has brought a degree of calm on that front.  There is still that worry but itís not so loud in my mind.

Since that appointment with that doctor who following five minutes with me suggested an amino my sails did falter and did impact me a great deal.  Doing the glucose monitoring helped as mostly because the symptoms pointed to this first but the one off Fasting glucose test on the day was fine for me.

Itís been challenging to see beyond possible issues and relax so that I can enjoy the last weeks of the pregnancy particularly as I will have the added pressure of handing over my job too in high pressured environment.

I initially drafted the above when I was 33 weeks, six days.  I am now 34 weeks, five days so will post another catch up entry over the next day or two when I have some quiet time to collect my thoughts.

Jxx

Offline Jupiter 96

modify
    « Reply #64 on: 26/10/20, 08:10 »
    Thirty five weeks, two days pregnant

I wish 36 week scan was earlier in the week to break up the negativity of the working week.  I am really looking forward to this scan as it will give some indication of where the consultants may be heading in terms of their guidance to us about the birth.

I think the size of the baby, whether itís engaged and if I still have a lot of excess fluid are going to be key indicators and we should get a view of that this week from the scan.

Next week is the consultant discussion which we have to be prepared for in terms our wishes for the birth so that we can hopefully join that and recommendations from the medical team together.  At this stage having made it this far the most important thing is safety and I guess in my mind I would do anything suggested to ensure the baby and I are safely delivered.

One of my antenatal classmates had her baby last week.  It definitely highlighted how close we are getting to the end end of this pregnancy.  We havenít really bought much for the baby so far but I think we need to get a little more prepared so we are not buying things in a rush once labour starts.  We have chosen a travel system which I will order a bit closer to due date.  The car seat I have actually ordered since we will need that to bring baby home so more urgent than the travel system. This is the first significant purchase.  We will leave it boxed up for a little while still I imagine, well at least until we know if the consultants want an early or full term birth for the baby.

Hospital bag and immediately needed items for baby are next on the list....

Handover at work over the next 2-3 weeks. Yuck

As long as baby is fine and continues to move and be happy, I can manage everything else

Jx

Offline Jupiter 96

modify
    « Reply #65 on: 8/11/20, 09:41 »
    37 weeks and 1 day pregnant

The last trimester has been a blur.  Mostly because of all the concern about the babyís size, the excess fluid and gestational diabetes ... or not.

So yes I was diagnosed officially with gestational diabetes.  Itís a real shame that this was not picked up in my 28 week blood test as this would have meant that I did not have to go through all the additional anxiety and tests on the baby.  It has to be said that you really has left a mark and made those weeks emotionally exhausting. I am taking metformin and this seems to keep my glucose readings low alongside the initial diet management that controlled my after meal reading but not the morning fasting.

The Ob consultant has made her assessment.  This baby is best being delivered by c section and plans are afoot to organise when this will happen.  Whilst the prospect physically is more daunting than a natural birth taking this path will remove the risks associated with a vaginal birth of a known large baby.  At least this way I know baby can be delivered safely and the risks only with me.  I hope that I can manage to care for baby well whilst recovering from a major operation.

I have mixed feelings about the final weeks.  I will be happy to have baby safely on the outside world but on the other hand I enjoy having the baby inside me warm and safe.  Feeling his/her movements still enthrall me and even after all these months it still feels really surreal that an actual little human is living there! Ha!

I do feel blessed that against the odds we are in the last part of the pregnancy journey and that we have been able to weather any of the bumps encountered.

I had an ultrasound on both my breasts as they were tender so I was worried in case it was not related to pregnancy.  Thanks fully the scan revealed no signs of breast cancer,  this is a huge relief.   Of course I will still need my annual scan Feb/Mar next year but thatís okay.  Pregnancy will not have delayed the scheduling, I would have had it then even if I had not been pregnant. Hopefully I will receive a clean bill of health then as well.

Work is draining.  I still have two weeks left of hardcore handover until the baby decides otherwise.  I am simply exhausted now, fully pregnant and carrying a big baby and water.  I wish that I could stop work now but the arrangements for my mat cover as expected was all very last minute which has meant handing over as I feared to several different people which has been so far really draining.

The purchase of baby things has started now so we have a few things, we have the car seat and a travel system.  The bedside cot arrives in a few days and DW is going to buy the initial clothes requirements this week.  We donít want to buy too much until we know the actual size of the baby.  I think when that is done and we actually have all the tiny clothes laid out this will be quite the emotional moment.

I have been told that it would be helpful to have hand expressed colostrum for the baby to transition baby from its current environment. I have had a massage and squeeze and could eventually see what looked like clear fluid popping out but since I donít have the syringe to collect it I didnít continue trying to express.  It is reassuring that potentially I might be able to express a little something.
    I am also worried about encouraging birth.  With my excess water and the fact that baby is not engaged I really want to have the c-section on a planned basis versus an emergency.

Anyway,  need to order some sterile syringes and see if I can a little something to freeze.  Babyís stomach will be the size of grape or thereabouts so I donít need to express in huge quantities.

So here were are, within three weeks the baby will be here.

Nope!  Still feels surreal when I say that!

Hereís to a lovely last few weeks of pregnancy for both me and the little (or not so little) baby.

Jx

Offline Jupiter 96

modify
    « Reply #66 on: 18/11/20, 20:10 »
    38 weeks, four days pregnant

Still pregnant and almost finished work.

It all feels surreal and I canít believe that the pregnancy journey is going to transition to life with a baby once again.  I am praying that the birth goes smoothly and safely for us both.

I keep trying to hand express colostrum without any success.  It is worrying that maybe my one boob not impacted by cancer may not work on the day!

Right, back to it.  Maybe tonight I will get luck with the ďgoldĒ stuff

Jx

Offline Jupiter 96

modify
    « Reply #67 on: 19/11/20, 00:36 »
    I think that the nerves are kicking in as well.

I hope everything is going to go well for us safety/health wise

I hope that Iíll be a good mother

I hope that I can breastfeed

I hope I get my body and my mojo post birth.  I want to be happy cheerful Mum

Oh the ramblings of a nocturnal pregnant lady due to give birth any day now...