* Author Topic: 42, Single and decision time  (Read 681 times)

0 Members

Offline lightlife

• Un-Ranked
modify
42, Single and decision time
« on: 29/08/20, 06:20 »
Hi all
After some advice! Iím 42, amh 6.8. I decided 18 months ago to try and become a solo mum using donor. I was advised because Of my amh at the time 13.2 and the odds were similar to try 3 or 4 DI/IUI.
I tried early this year unsuccessfully then we had lock down and tried 2 more since June unsuccessfully. I felt I wanted to know AMH and have a consultants appt before doing anymore. Options are call it a day, try more DI, ivf with my eggs or ivf with donor eggs. Donor eggs doesnít feel right as none of me! Have had consultation about ivf and feel itís a one shot chance as consultant feels unlikely I will unlikely have embryos to freeze.
Do I try and see? Do I try IVF? Or do I say this is the stop point as the % is so small of success and all my doubts of age (Iíll be this old when my child is 5, Iíll be this old when..) and doing it all alone albeit with amazing family and friend support. Any thoughts?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline catherine12

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #1 on: 29/08/20, 14:24 »
    Personally I would go for one round of ivf and see how it goes. If you donít produce a lot of eggs or if they donít reach 5 day blasts then you know that egg quality is an issue. Having been through over 10 rounds myself from 41-44 (amh started at 4 and ended at 1.3)with no success my advice to anyone of the same age is, if you arenít producing lots of eggs I think move on as the older you get you need a lot to get the one good one. Me I only ever Had 2-4 each eggs round but the quality was there as they always went to blast but unfortunately they didnít stick so must have been good enough to get that far but no further ( we never pgs tested).

Offline Flyby

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 29/08/20, 22:29 »
    I started IVF at 42 and it eventually worked at 44. I got more determined to stick at it as time went on and thought there must have been at least one good egg in there!

My AMH was 5.9 when I started, not sure what it was by the end. I had five embryo transfers, but eight egg collections as the final lot were embryo banking where I went for four months in a row to collect eggs, fertilise them and freeze (all with donor sperm).

It worked on the first frozen transfer having used Clomid for ovarian stimulation which I believe for me, helped with egg quality. The statistics of success were shockingly low, every time I looked it scared me so I stopped looking!

I feel if you can afford to keep going, both financially and mentally then I donít see why you wouldnít have a chance of it working at some point, but itís a very challenging and unpredictable journey, I wasnít prepared for how difficult it would be!

In the end, I wanted to store ten blastocysts (which I only ever got on the embryo banking cycles). I figured that if I had at least ten, then there might be one good one in there... I got there in the end.

Take a look through my posts and maybe then can help you?

All the best,

Flyby.

Offline kittykat76

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 30/08/20, 01:30 »
    If you dont give it a go then you will never know. I was nearly 41when had my last fresh cycle and it was my last go with own eggs before I moved to donor eggs, for me the genetic part wasnt important as they grow inside you and several friends have gone down that route. Personally I wouldnt waste time with IUI, despite stats saying the outcome is the same IVF will be more likely to work

Offline Want-a-baby

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 5/09/20, 01:55 »
    We went straight to egg donation as I was 48 when started the treatment. However, one doctor wanted me to try several ovarian stimulations + retrieve + freeze the eggs, which would be fertilized after reaching 15-18 eggs, but I declined because chances of success were very slim... We're very happy with our egg donation decision and our 4-year-old son is gorgeous! Good luck!  ^hugme^