* Author Topic: Very severe ohss  (Read 655 times)

0 Members

Offline CortneyWil

modify
Very severe ohss
« on: 11/09/20, 11:30 »
Has anyone had really bad ohss?
My sister has been admitted to hospital by ambulance a few days ago and looks like she wonít be home anytime soon.
Her kidneys are failing, sheís so bad dehydrated as her egg collection was last Monday and from Tuesday and most of Wednesday she couldnít eat or drink as she kept vomiting it all up. Sheís got so much fluid itís unreal and her ovaries has increased by 7cm. Sheís currently under the critical care team.
I have contacted hfea and put in a complaint. The clinic never did amh test.
Iím so angry with the clinic... what else can I do?
Thanks all

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline treezuk

• Gold Member
    • TTC#2
    modify
    Very severe ohss
    « Reply #1 on: 11/09/20, 11:35 »
    You can put a complaint with pals as well if you havenít already.

Offline staceysm

• Gold Member
    modify
    Very severe ohss
    « Reply #2 on: 11/09/20, 12:15 »
    Hi,

So sorry to hear this awful news.  My first clinic never done a AMH test.  How many eggs did she have collected? 

X

Offline K jade

• Gold Member
    • Infertility veteran since 2011! BFN princess :)
    modify
    Very severe ohss
    « Reply #3 on: 11/09/20, 12:24 »
    Oh my goodness, this sounds horrendous.
    How the hell did the clinic allow this to happen!? Surely her response should of been monitored regularly especially if she was a sensitive responder!?
    Yes like others have said definitely contact HFEA, and make an official complaint.
    Even if they didn't do amh test surley they should of identified she was at risk of over response from her scans!?

Hope she makes a speedy recovery  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Offline CortneyWil

modify
    Very severe ohss
    « Reply #4 on: 11/09/20, 17:13 »
    Thanks all!! He had a previous ivf with the same clinic 2 years prior and they know her amh was mega high but was on a long protocol. She only had 5 eggs collected and none fertilised and she was fine after!!

This time she was on a short protocol with different meds and she has 13 Eggs collected but loads of small follicles.

Would Pals be ok to use as wasnít an nhs treatment was a private clinic.

Offline staceysm

• Gold Member
    modify
    Very severe ohss
    « Reply #5 on: 11/09/20, 17:41 »
    Hi,

I think it might be a bit to early to complain officially just yet, but you could perhaps make the clinic aware of what is going on.  Pals is only for NHS treatment.  Did she have the fertilised embryos put back?  I thought that you only got OHSS if you had got a BFP.  How is she doing today?

X

Offline CortneyWil

modify
    Very severe ohss
    « Reply #6 on: 11/09/20, 17:46 »
    No she hasnít even got to the transfer stage as was poorly a day after egg collection.
    She on a protein drip and in too much pain to move.
    Hospital has contacted the clinic so not sure what has been said.

Offline Herts85

• Our baby wish came true, now we're ttc baby #2!
    modify
    Very severe ohss
    « Reply #7 on: 11/09/20, 23:19 »
    I had OHSS after EC but did get 26 eggs on mild stims. Didn't have a transfer due to OHSS and had clexane injections after E  to bring period on ASAP. Once period arrives the OHSS goes. May be worth asking the hospital to put her on clexane.
    I've never had AMH tested either and pcos so lots of follicles. My clinic stimmed me really gently, wasn't ideal when I got it but for me it was one of those things and definitely not the clinic being irresponsible.

Hope your sister is better soon x

Offline CortneyWil

modify
    Very severe ohss
    « Reply #8 on: 12/09/20, 06:54 »
    I had OHSS after EC but did get 26 eggs on mild stims. Didn't have a transfer due to OHSS and had clexane injections after E  to bring period on ASAP. Once period arrives the OHSS goes. May be worth asking the hospital to put her on clexane.
    I've never had AMH tested either and pcos so lots of follicles. My clinic stimmed me really gently, wasn't ideal when I got it but for me it was one of those things and definitely not the clinic being irresponsible.

Hope your sister is better soon x

Thank you, sorry you had ohss too, I too had it so I know what itís like but her ohss is ridiculously severe. My sister is 33 years old and has pcos so definitely high risk. Sheís on clexane which Iím pleased about.

Offline Cloudy

• Volunteer
    • Gotta keep dancin' ducky!
    modify
    Very severe ohss
    « Reply #9 on: 16/09/20, 22:09 »
    How is your sister now?

In my diary (link in signature) I wrote quite a detailed diary about how my severe OHSS went, including little bits about having drains fitted etc.

Not measuring AMH, or developing OHSS, arenít really causes for complaint as long as the clinic scanned and responded to any concerns your sister raised about how she was feeling after EC.

I hope she is improving xxx