* Author Topic: Egg collection with oral sedation only ?  (Read 350 times)

0 Members

Offline Leenaj

• Gold Member
Hi

I want to cycle again to embryo bank so eventually have a transfer with immunes. My current clinic over covid is now not doing egg collections with iv sedation but with local anesthetic/oral sedative only. I think either their anesthetist has left and doing more nhs sessions or they simply do not want to use one as they may increase the risk of covid coming into the clinic from the hospital.

I don't know how I would cope with just oral sedation . Last time I never felt a thing with iv sedation. I also have a endo cyst on my left ovary so I do not want to be fidgeting about increasing the risk of puncturing this or them avoiding collecting as many eggs as they could if I am wincing in pain.

Any experiences with just local anesthetic/oral sedative?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Nicnik

• Gold Member
    modify
    Egg collection with oral sedation only ?
    « Reply #1 on: 12/02/21, 18:17 »
    Hi there,

I just came across your post and didn't want to read and run.

I had egg collection 3 times with my local NHS clinic a few years ago, who only gave oral sedation.  At the time, I thought this was the norm, as that's where I did my first few rounds of IVF...but all other clinics I've been to since seem to do egg collection under GA.   With NHS and no GA,  I was very nervous, especially since one of my ovary's is very high up and difficult to see / find however, it was fine - although a bit uncomfortable at times, I didn't feel any pain as such to be honest and it was over with fairly quickly.

Hope this helps and good luck. x

Offline TrionaT

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 14/02/21, 14:00 »
    Hi,

i've had egg collection by  GA and oral sedation. To be honest. The oral sedation, while not pleasant has its benefits in terms of easier recovery. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined it to be. I also had the NK cell uterine scratch and also fluid drained from around the ovaries which was way worse than the egg collection. good luck with it , tell them your concerns they might give you something a bit stronger than usual dose.
    xxx

Offline Leenaj

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 15/02/21, 14:57 »
    Hi thank you both for this.

I decided to change clinics based on the simple fact my usual clinic has now in the panedemic decided not to uv sedation, maybe because  the anaesthetist they use works in nhs hospital so they have been deployed there and they haven't been able to recruit anyone else or the fact they do not want to increase the risk of covid in their clinic.

The new clinic which is care fertility have been not as great. Takes ages to get ab appointment for bloods and preliminary scans. Finally had them 5 weeks ago and I have been ringing up for the past few weeks to get them and the receptionist has said once the doctor has seen them he will.write to you. I finally complained last week stating it's been a while and I would like someone to go through some sort of plan  with me. Next day I had the doctor on the phone and I knew he was worried I had complained, he  said oh i have had your file my desk but I was waiting to speak to you first. I thought well that's not what reception have told me. Either way I just feel they are very business minded and there is no organisation with them. So I have no protocol still but been sent a brochure about their finance plans.