* Author Topic: If you could ask your donor.....  (Read 95434 times)

0 Members

Offline Ella*

• Gold Member
modify
Re: If you could ask your donor.....
« Reply #10 on: 14/03/06, 19:55 »
ATCC that's lovely!!Really lovely!

Lizibee- OMG that must have been unreal figuring you knew the donor!! On the other hand would there have been some comfort in sort of knowing? Obviously not as you chose against it, yes it would have been weird. What an interesting scenario mail!

Yes, in answer to the thread, agree with everyone else, thank you to donor! motivation, morals, interests, loads!

Ella

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline bunna

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #11 on: 30/03/06, 19:20 »
    hi every1 lovely messages. ive my 1st appointment at the fertility clinic in may to donate my eggs its really lovely and comforting to know exactly how much the doners are appreciated.

kate
    xxx

Offline A.T.C.C

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #12 on: 30/03/06, 20:21 »
     :) Hi Bunna, have a look at egg/sperm donors and look on 'egg donors journey' or 'altruistic donor'
    You may find it useful chick.
    If you want to ask any questions dont hesitate - ive just donated - had egg collection yesterday so ive gone through it.
    Take care xxxx

Offline Laura S

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #13 on: 14/04/06, 13:02 »
    Hi
    I was an altruistic egg donor in 2000 and have become involved with the National Gamete Donation Trust. Via them I have spoken to many -potential- donors, both egg and sperm.

The vast majority of altruistic donors I have met share my views. We have done it because we genuinely want to help. In my case I felt that my 'eggs were flushing through my system so I might as well use them for something else'. Almost all of them say: "It is one of the best things I have ever done" and that is certainly true in my case.

For me, knowing that the parents will look up to the sky and think: 'Whoever it is, thank you for giving me eggs' is enough. I can't imagine my life without my children and this was the least I could do to help someone else.

I have a tiny tiny tiny niggle: I would have loved to receive an anonymous card. I would have framed it :) . One of the donors I have met has done exactly that and it makes her grin everytime she looks at it.

I am not curious about meeting them at all but if they want to find out about me (which they can because both the clinic and the HFEA have been made aware of the fact that my details can be made known) that is fine with me as well. I understand and accept there is a certain curiosity to find out where that funny toe comes from, the musical talent (not from me!) or the determined streak.

All the best
    Laura

Offline Anthony Reid

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #14 on: 14/04/06, 13:09 »
    Hi Laura,

Welcome to FF :)

For those interested in looking for more information on this subject then Laura and her colleagues can be contacted via:

www.ngdt.co.uk
    0845 226 9193
    email: [email protected]

Or by writing to:-

National Gamete Donation Trust,
    The Works Business Centre
    5 Union Street
    Ardwick Green
    Manchester
    M12 4JD

Regards,
    Tony

Offline sweet kitty

• teddy bear teddy bear turn around
    modify
    « Reply #15 on: 14/04/06, 14:04 »
    sorry to intrude .. im a donor going through my first eggshare .. i know what you mean ... i did put as much info as i could if only there was more paper .. i didnt leave anything out , i explained why i was donating and  i wrote about my life [ like a family tree search if you know what i mean i put loads of info meof a child what i did up to child hood to now .. my good will was special it was that nice everytime i read it  i cryed [ with happiness .. hubby too cryed  with happyness .. and i am very open with  the child / children coming to find me etc .. im very open minded .. i know im the donor  and they are my eggs , but i look at it this way i wont be there mother i am the magical donor mother ... i told feel i need to hold tight to these eggs .. im helping a couple  if i needed a donor i sure hope someone was out there for me .. i know how hard it is ive been ttc 10+ and thats what makes this donor moment the best thing in my life ..  i havnt hidden anything ,, i did ask the clinic if they wanted a pic but  they dont do that , its just that i know what its like to want to know a parent i was brought up in a single parent house hold  so always wondered what  my father looked like /job etc etc .. which made it easy for me to put down on my file .. if the recipient does change there mind i am happy to give them more details but not sure what the clinic would do .. i will never feel its my baby  it will always be there baby/babies .. its quite hard to explain .. im just happy i  could offer  my eggs to a lovely couple  i know it helps them be  parents but it helps me too .. 
      i am so sorry to jump in .. xx kitty  ps and yes i would like  a card or flowers to say thankyou .. it would be the bestest of the best then  my best day of my life.. ive written a card to my recipent  saying good luck .. but thats if im aloud to give it ...

Offline A.T.C.C

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #16 on: 14/04/06, 22:24 »
     :) Hi Laura, i agree with you about the card - i would love to get a card or a letter from one of my recipients. Not to necessarily thank me cos i know how grateful they must feel and that means everything but just something i could keep from them that makes it more real.
    I sent both of my recipients good luck cards and the hospital were great about it and passed them on.
    One of the nurses told me that she thought one of the recipients was going to write to me but i havent recieved anything.
    The hospital bought me a HUGE bouquet of flowers and i was so chuffed cos i did this with no expectations of anything in return so to recieve the flowers was a huge and beautiful surprise. I was so grateful.
    The recipients have just finished their 2ww and should know by now if it worked........ i really hope it did!!!!!!!!!! I cant begin to imagine what they must have gone through over the last 2 weeks......... they have been in my thoughts.
    Laura im a member of NGDT forum, my name on there is Angel.
    Take care ladies xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline tea

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #17 on: 23/05/06, 15:19 »
    hi

im going to be egg donating on my next cycle which is starting very soon, know this may seem silly but i couldnt write alot on the form, my mind went blank, main thing i did write is that the reason i was doing it was to help other as i know what they are going through, and for that person to be happy

Offline stephanie1

• Gold Member
    • James - born 19 Sep 2007 at 23:32 (1.125kg)
    modify
    « Reply #18 on: 18/06/06, 20:29 »
    Hello all
    it is  nice to see the other side of the story.
    Sweet Kitty, how does the egg sharing work?
    I am really greatful for donors as we need to use a sperm donor. I am about to start IVF D ICSCI and if it works and if I react well to drugs I was considering donating eggs too. This is just an idea starting but I think that a lot of people need help like us so it is worth it.

Good evening to everyone and thank you to all donors. (I too would like to know why the donation)

Offline A.T.C.C

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #19 on: 18/06/06, 20:47 »
     :) Hi Steph, what did your last question mean? you would like to know why the donation??
    I never did hear anything off my recipients. Its really weird cos it doesnt matter how much counselling you have you wont know how you're going to feel until after the donation.
    I honestly dont feel anything.... in saying this it doesnt mean i dont ever 'wonder' or 'think' i just dont dwell as people seem to expect me to. I just had a big wish and a big heart ful of hope that it was a success and im in no rush to find out how it went cos i believe ill know when i need to know.
    I will definately donate again!!!