* Author Topic: If you could ask your donor.....  (Read 95454 times)

0 Members

Offline dawniek

modify
Re: If you could ask your donor.....
« Reply #120 on: 1/06/10, 20:52 »
Hiya everybody! Just wanted to say it's lovley reading your messages. It makes me want to donate more. I have 5 frozen embryo's left from 27. I have a 22 month old boy and am now 12 weeks pg from the 27 embryo's. We are so lucky and would love to give a couple the chance to become parents. We think it would be so amazing to give the gift of a child to a couple.

XdawnX

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline ceci.bee

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #121 on: 13/07/10, 18:06 »
    Thanks all for this wonderful thread, really enjoyed reading through it and gave me lots of warm and fuzzy moments from all the donors out there.

We are incredibly grateful to our donor, especially as there are hardly any donors of jewish heritage and to find someone who will do this despite the 'teachings' of his faith is truely incredible and a big thank to all donors, especially those who do this despite anyone in 'authority' saying it should not be done

We are having tx with frozen eggs, and are only defrosting half as I would love to donate the other half if we don't use them, as it would feel like helping the balance of the world if that makes any sense  ^idiot^ and this thread has really helped me to know that is the right thing to do.......

love to all
    C :-*

Offline katena

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #122 on: 29/09/10, 11:23 »
    Hiya,

Thanks for everyones lovely and heartfelt posts - i've been sat reading them all for ages!!!

I am at the stage of getting my 1st appointment to explore egg sharing.... i guess i'm a little scared about what to put down about me and why i am going down this route!

My first reason - is that we simply cannot afford to pay full whack for IVF - if we did we would have no money to give a child the quality of life it may need!

Secondly - we are a same sex couple.... is this something a recipient would want to know or not? I'm scared in case someone has strong beliefs and is horrified by getting 'gay eggs' or something bonkers!!! if i don't put this info in i feel like i would be missing out such a big part of the picture that is 'me'!

Thirdly - we are using donor sperm and so someone has kindly given us a chance to create a family and i want to 'pay the gift forward' (much like the film!) We have gone (and are going) through so much to TTC that if we can help someone else in the process and give them the gift of a family then why not!!??!

thanks for any advice you can give!!

karen

Offline Spaykay

• Gold Member
    • May everyone be as lucky as me!
    modify
    « Reply #123 on: 3/10/10, 19:02 »
    Karen - I think that even though your 1st reason for donating eggs is cost does not mean that you are also being very unselfish and giving someone a gift of life. Even though you need the support, donating your eggs is not an easy decision and something many would not be able to do. I think that yuo can explain from your heart the understanding there, for whatever reason, that the desire to have a child when you can't 'naturally' can sometimes only be acomplished with the help of a very special person, whatever the situation.

Also, I do not think you need to mention that you are from a same sex couple unless you want to know that the people receiving your eggs are not someone who has anything against 'gay eggs'. I reallythink that 1. If someone honestly thinks that a gay person donating their eggs may mean the baby is gay ... then they're a bit daft and 2. If it bothers them then they don't deserve your kindness anyway  ;)  I did giggle at the idea of 'gay eggs'  ;D , but your right, some people may be bonkers  ::)

Good luck and thank you for donating (from a lady with a family because someone had the heart to donate...for whatever reason!)

Kay xxx  :-*

Offline Dominique123456

• Gold Member
    • Joseph on his 1st birthday
    modify
    « Reply #124 on: 1/12/10, 12:18 »
    Gay eggs - that sounds so cute :) Like they'd be happy little things.

I think that it's up to you what to write in your form. I think that I didn't disclose in my form that I was in a same sex relationship and maybe I should have? I wasn't sure so I just went with saying a bit about my familiy history, what I do now, things I like to do as activities, and some things about my values - which illustrated using quotes and a poem I think. (cringe now though!).

The thought had crossed my mind that someone might think that they had been lumped with inferior donor eggs because of my sexuality. Which is a very harsh thing to think of myself. Internal homephobia is pants. So I think that it is entirely up to you. I like the idea of weeding out any anti-gay couples by being honest about it.

Good luck!

Offline The_Scenic_Route

modify
    « Reply #125 on: 3/12/10, 20:17 »
    Hello, Ive just had my egg collection 2 days ago and we had 13 eggs, thats 7 for me and 6 for my recipient. I am so pleased for her. Id have liked to give her a couple more, but 6 is a respectable number and not too many to have put my own health at risk.

I wish I could rewrite my donor info letter now. Since I was reading my sperm donors letters I have a completely different point of view as what a recipient would want to know. I was quite honest with all my pros and cons, now I wish I had just been positive so that the recipient didnt have anything to dwell on or worry about. We read into every little detail that the sperm donors had added and tried to work out what they probably meant by them. It drove us mad! In the end we just read the donor letters, instantly discounted the ones that sounded like complete weirdos (there was only one) and we had to choose the donor on fairly simple details rather than read into what they had written. We are happy with our choice now.

5 or my 7 eggs fertilised on day one, Im waiting to hear when my ET will be. Cant wait and very nervous!

Offline katena

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #126 on: 14/12/10, 21:29 »
    Hey scenic...

Hope alls going well with this cycle?

Ive just wrote my 'pen picture'.. it was soooooooo difficult. But more so was the msg to a child! How odd to plan a msg that may be read in 10/18 yrs time...without wanting to appear a freak or let anyone down!

When did you get your donors pen picture? were using donor sperm and not sure when we can read it... let alone if we want to yet!!!

k

Offline Dominique123456

• Gold Member
    • Joseph on his 1st birthday
    modify
    « Reply #127 on: 15/12/10, 12:01 »
    Don't get too excited about the sperm donor form. Ours was so basic it was a joke! I think that egg donors tend to write a lot more.

Offline poobear

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #128 on: 16/03/11, 12:06 »
    It is interesting to read what egg recipients want to ask their donors. I live in SA. I was a surrogate in the UK.  I just had my 4th child and wanted to donate. So today I phone a donating site. The told me that I am near cut off age so I might never get to donate. I wanted to donate because I am going to have a hysterectomy soon and thought it would be a lovely part I could do to help someone have a baby. Well hopefully I have 3 months on the site before they remove me. Hopefully I can help someone. My gynea said my eggs were still good so cross your fingers.

Offline tulip1411

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #129 on: 15/04/11, 20:37 »
    Hi,
    I am so glad to have found this thread. We have just donated our 8 frozen embryos and have been fretting for days what to write. I have had to do a bit of soul searching and this and help lots thank you ladies xx