* Author Topic: If you could ask your donor.....  (Read 95456 times)

0 Members

Offline andreastar1

• Un-Ranked
modify
Re: If you could ask your donor.....
« Reply #60 on: 30/01/09, 08:59 »
as a donor myself there was a yellow form i filled in after donation that a perspective child could read once they were 18.

i wrote...

your mum and dad wanted you so much and i was able to make sure you arrrived. Fell loved.Feel wanted.
You are xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline emalia

modify
    « Reply #61 on: 30/01/09, 17:15 »
    hi i'd like to say thankyou to all the donors out there who have made dreams like mine a reality,

i'm (almost) 14 weeks pregnant with twins and had egg donation in spain where donation is anonymous. my donor was 33, at the time i thought she was 'old'. i'd imagined that i would have the eggs of a uni student and might have a better chance. when i got my BFP i wondered if i was part on an egg share/ivf scheme and thought maybe my 'older' donor would have taken greater care of herself and thats why i was lucky to get pregnant, if she did share her eggs with me i really hope that she got her BFP too!
    i am happy knowing almost nothing about my donor but that may change when my bubas are born, the only thing i would like to know right now is if she suffers from ecxema or psorisis as i love nuts and haven't been able to eat them- quite minor thing really! 
    For whatever reason she donated her eggs, to me she's the most wonderful person on earth who has given me 2 gifts of life and for that i send her my love and blessings and will be eternally greatful xxx
    em

Offline ♥JJ1♥

• Gold Member
    • Thanks for all the bubbles
    modify
    « Reply #62 on: 30/01/09, 17:38 »
    I am also using DE's in Spain and I keep saying that I need to bring the child back to Spain and show it where their genes are from.  I also assume that my donor was a young uni student- I don't anything about her as yet only that I have 16 wonderful eggs from her.

I am using a friend as a known donor so can answer all the questions and the child will know who the daddy is etc.

L x

Offline ~ MJP ~

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #63 on: 30/01/09, 18:22 »
    Ahhh Emalia your post has brought tears to my eyes, bless you!

Best of luck hun, I'm loving every single minute with my twins!!

:-*

Offline emalia

modify
    « Reply #64 on: 3/02/09, 12:12 »
    MJP
    i got a bit emotional writing it too! i've kept the donor part of my PG secret and to be able to express myself on this board made me quite teary too. i was at work & thankfully i wear glasses and caught the trickle before it went past my nose!
    best wishes

JJ1 hello again, hope everything is going to plan for you...
    x

Offline A.T.C.C

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #65 on: 5/02/09, 11:53 »
    Hiya

Im not sure what the age limit is abroad but here the limit is 35.
    I think it makes a big difference if the donors get paid or not.
    Here in England people dont tend to know much about egg donation and as there is no financial gain for donors here then there isnt an incentive for young ladies to donate.
    Abroad it is known as something you can make money doing so ladies do it to get through uni etc.
    Here people do it totally altruistically and because they want to do it. Im not saying that there is any difference because you are still getting eggs whatever their reasons for donating.

The point i was trying to make when i started this is that i would think that abroad you would get younger donors than here in England. I dont know any of the facts or anything on this but when the ladies said they thought they'd get uni students .... i thought the same too of abroad.

Its fantastic hearing successful donor stories on here .....  good luck with the pregnancies ladies xxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Dominique123456

• Gold Member
    • Joseph on his 1st birthday
    modify
    « Reply #66 on: 9/02/09, 12:57 »
    ATCC  - love your profile pic! I think that donors in the UK should get paid, it's so much more invasive than what men have to do to donate plus the long term risks associated with the medication is still unknown. I think it is such a shame because unless a young woman has personal experience of someone who has had trouble concieving why would it even cross their mind to do egg donation?? It then pushes so many women to go abroad to find an egg donor where there isn't a choice around anonymity or not.

I wasn't paid in cash but I did an egg share scheme so got a tangible benefit from it. Now that i've done IVF I wouldn't be scared to donate altruistically in the future - like most people the fears and scaremongering around IVF would have put me off.

Offline poochie2

• it's my turn!
    modify
    « Reply #67 on: 9/02/09, 13:10 »
    Dominique I agree with you wholeheartedly!

If I had known then what I know now I would have donated eggs.

Also, re the men, I don't think it would occur to many young men to donate. Through my experience, my closest male friend, who I happen to know is superfertile because he's always getting his wife pregnant despite her (professed) attempts at contraception, said proudly to me that he had been so touched by what I had gone through he wanted to become a donor. I had to tell him at 38 he is now too old. What a shame!

I'm sure more younger men would donate altruistically if they had a peek inside the world of infertility.

Poochie

Offline A.T.C.C

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #68 on: 9/02/09, 14:40 »
    me again.
    What is the age limit for men to donate? I didnt think that 38 was too old???

Offline poochie2

• it's my turn!
    modify
    « Reply #69 on: 9/02/09, 14:48 »
    Well I thought it was 35? It is at LWC where mine came from. I assumed that was nationwide but I could be wrong.

Poochie