* Author Topic: Scans in the UK for treatment abroad  (Read 73923 times)

0 Members

Offline roze

• Gold Member
modify
Re: Looking for clinic that does tests/scans in London
« Reply #40 on: 21/01/07, 22:41 »
Hi, Dollydee,

I believe the 1000 is for something of a care package in the UK intended to include all scans and blood tests prior to tx abroad plus liaison with the overseas clinic-  I know one place that offered me this but when I went there was no consistency at all about what was included in the price so I went elsewhere which turned out better for me.

The Doctors Laboratory in Wimpole Street can do all the blood tests for around 200- they will accept referrals from overseas clinics by fax or email.  The London Womens Clinic also does scans and bloods ( bloods next door at the HCA clinic) - scans around 130 for external patients.  There are a range of other clinics around Harley St that do scans, such as the Birth Company - prices on their websites.   All in all, 3 scans plus blood tests should cost in total around 590 depending on where you go.   My GP was usually happy to get the bloods done on the NHS but I went privately sometimes rather than wait two weeks for the results to come back.

I actually had the tests for ISIDA done in France when I was on holiday at one of the many private labs around-  the total cost for everything was around 200 and the results were back the same afternoon.  May be worth a trip on Eurostar!

best of luck,

roze xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline coconutkym

• Gold Member
    • my legs maldives oct 06
    hiya.

i am on 2ww after reciving two doanted eggs at IM in spain
    need to have hcg blood test on thurday 1st march. then if +ve we have another one a few days/weeks later? i know  that indicates that if levels rising quicky things look good. my gp won't do it, says it's just for my reassurance.  ^idiot^ :'(also says can't scan under nhs until 13 weeks,  by then all could be ruined, esp due to my age, possible twins and my thyroid condition.  ^bigbad^

can i self refer to have scan? alternatively any ideas aboit cost of having scans and paying for them?

Offline Jennifer

• VIP Member Sponsor
    • Ever wanted to do this to someone ? hehehe
    You can go private for scans.  I went to Addenbrookes and they were fantastic.  They run a private clinic in the evenings in the main Maternity Suite.  They only charged about 60/90 for a dating scan which they did at 6 and a half weeks to see if I had twins.  I had 1 hcg on nhs as my GP was a sweetheart and did all he could to help.

I also spoke to a Bupa hospital and they would be happy to do it for me but were a bit more expensive.

Shop around !!!!!!

I think its cheaper to use a private medical clinic than to ask an IVF clinic to do them for you as they seem to be happy to rip off those going abroad for tx ::)

Good Luck and I am sure you will be able to sort something out.

Best of luck and hope you get a BFP on test day :)

xx

Offline daisyg

• Gold Member
    Hi

The London Fertility Centre (Clinic) will do scans and beta blood tests for you.  Just ring up and tell them you have gone abroad for treatment and they will book you in.   They are just off Harley Street and many of the women who are doing cycles in Spain use them for scans and blood tests.  They have a special (cheaper) price for women going abroad.

http://www.lfc.org.uk/home.php

Daisy

/links

Offline safarigirl

• VIP Member Sponsor
    HI

This was debated a while ago and this thread will give you a whole list of other clinics as well (but yes you can self refer, and the costs differ so look around!)

https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=62535.0

Good luck with your two week wait!

Offline coconutkym

• Gold Member
    • my legs maldives oct 06
    sorry forgot to metion i am in staffordshire. so trains to birmingham ok,. also to drive within 1 hour

Offline safarigirl

• VIP Member Sponsor
    then just google for clinics for ultrasound scans/bloods ... i am sure there must be plenty around. (I have done this to find clinics for scans when i needed one closer to where i was working and couldnt make it into harley street)  i only know london based ones, but as jennifer mentioned you can check with the bupa hospital .... try and see which are the local fertility clinics and they should do you privately.  The list should at least give you a good idea about prices etc so you will know when you are being overcharged!

Offline crusoe

• Gold Member
    I completely sympathise with you coconutkym.

My GP will do NOTHING for me. I have paid for every scan (except one when I was miscarrying) at 200 per time and every blood test at 50 per time. I have spent well over 1000 on top of treatment and it's not over yet!
    You can shop around and scans seem to vary from about 75 to 250 in my experience. I carry on paying the 200 at the private clinic near me because it is convenient and I have total faith in the lady who does the scans there. She is very, very thorough and not the quick "in and out" I have had on cheaper scans.

Sorry I can't help with places near to you - but just wanted to let you know you are not alone with this problem. In my experience the NHS is not a national health service it is a regional health service and it totally depends on where you are and who you see as to what help you get!!!
    love Crusoe

Offline wallaroo

Hi Jennifer,

I didn't know Addenbrookes ran a private clinic, I can't find anything about it on their website. Do you happen to have any contact details? I will be looking to get an ultrasound to check endometrium thickness at the end of March. Do you know if they are happy to do this?

I also contacted a BUPA clinic and was shocked at how much they charge!

Many thanks.

Wallaroo

You can go private for scans.  I went to Addenbrookes and they were fantastic.  They run a private clinic in the evenings in the main Maternity Suite.  They only charged about 60/90 for a dating scan which they did at 6 and a half weeks to see if I had twins.  I had 1 hcg on nhs as my GP was a sweetheart and did all he could to help.

I also spoke to a Bupa hospital and they would be happy to do it for me but were a bit more expensive.

Shop around !!!!!!

I think its cheaper to use a private medical clinic than to ask an IVF clinic to do them for you as they seem to be happy to rip off those going abroad for tx ::)

Good Luck and I am sure you will be able to sort something out.

Best of luck and hope you get a BFP on test day :)

xx

Offline Olly

• Care at the Park Notts & Fertimed Czech Rep.
    Hi  - well done you are officially on the 2ww!

I go over to Care at the Park in Notts - they do a blood test for about 30.00 but won't do scans, post transfer.

The Priory in Birmingham used to do an early scan but were reviewing their procedures - it's worth a check.

Back in May when I had my bfp, I went to GP and in view of earlier m/c's, he sent me for v early scan to the EPU at North Staffs - even tho I had no other support as the Practice doesnt support any private TX. The scan team were fab.

Good luck on the 2ww - IM me if you want to meet up ( not sure if you got my earleir IM to you ??)

Cheers

Olly