* Author Topic: Scans in the UK for treatment abroad  (Read 73915 times)

0 Members

Offline aruck

• Isla and Finbar born on 19th March 2010
modify
Re: obtaining scan in Glasgow
« Reply #90 on: 10/02/08, 20:06 »
Dear Elaine/and Alan ?

Thanks that's brilliant.

I read a lot about HCG testing , too, in the happy eventuality of treatment being successful. Do you think they will do blood tests there, too, and/or be able to help with prescribing medication  ? Is the Nuffield a private hospital ?

I will give them a ring sometime this week .

Elaine, I noteyou  had a fibroid removed . I had an abdominal myomectomy at the end of August. Actually, It's done me the world of good to have some breathing space.Now it sounds as if we are both ready to jump back onto the rollercoaster  and good luck to us ! ^rainbow^

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline alanelaine

• New hope with adoption
    modify
    « Reply #91 on: 12/02/08, 10:47 »
    Hi Aruck,

The Nuffield is a private hospital and they should be able to do bloods for you.  Unfortunately they can not prescribe any medications nor can they fill a prescription for you.  You have to be a patient.

If your GP is sympathetic and supportive they should able to prescirbe meds and depending on the protocol you may get some of these on the NHS.  We had to pay as we are on al ong protocol of injections to down reg.  Your GP would need a copy of an e-mail stating the meds you need.  Our GP has been fine prescribing this way.

I feel so much better since the fibroid op as it was making me quite ill for two weeks each month.  I now have a much lighter cycle  and no longer need to carry spare "everything" in my handbag.

Hope this helps

A&E

Offline aruck

• Isla and Finbar born on 19th March 2010
    modify
    « Reply #92 on: 17/02/08, 17:58 »
    Thanks Elaine ,

and I 'm glad you're feeling better fibroid free.

Thanks again for info. The 'e-mail 'tip is worth remembering/trying out in future .

I have in the meantime heard about a clinic in Edinburgh that does scans ( this is where  I live), too, from a friend. However, the cost is 135 , quite a difference !  Might be worht it though  ,it if means  less hassle. ...let's see how the rollercoaster ^babyface^ goes, at least now I have a choice.

Take care,
    Andrea

Offline freckles2

modify
    where to have scan/blood test?
    « Reply #93 on: 21/02/08, 14:35 »
    Hello
    I have just got a BFP this morning after having ICSI at Reprofit in the Czech Republic. Now I am very pleased....and shocked! But I have only done a home pregnancy test, I phoned my GP and they said there was no need to do a blood test. Can anyone tell me where I could get a blood test done? Also how could I get a 6/7 week scan? As presumably the NHS will only do normal 12 week scans. Just wandered what other ladies did when they returned home and were lucky enough to get a BFP.
    Thankyou so much
    Frang

Offline Marie1

modify
    Re: where to have scan/blood test?
    « Reply #94 on: 21/02/08, 17:26 »
    Hi Fran, a BFP, congratulations!!!! How exciting for you!

I recently got a BFP from Reprofit too, and still can't quite believe it.

Initially, I didn't quite believe the stick test, so wanted to get a blood test to double check Beta HCG levels, which I arranged privately, as my surgery wouldn't do this. This was around 30+ in the area I live.

It's probably a good idea to see your doctor and he can explain about the scans etc and record your pregnancy, but usually it's a 12 week scan.

I arranged a private scan which was 100, at 6wks - although the Ultrasound wasn't very good, I had the internal dildo cam which was able to show a heartbeat!  This is not always the case and most people wait until 7 weeks when things are a bit clearer.

I also contacted the local Early Pregnancy Unit at my local hospital (EPU - search on web) and talked to someone there, and they are v helpful re: scans if you wanted to have an earlier one, they might be able to do one for you.

I'm sure there's lots more I need to do - but still learning myself!

Take care
    Sezzxxx

Offline odette

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re: Scan pricing
    « Reply #95 on: 21/02/08, 17:41 »
    Hi there

I have used the birth company for scans.

I started paying 70 but then it went down to 50 as I asked for a discount because I was having quite a few.

Very important that you ask for a sonographer to be present.(better informed on follicles etc) rather than Dr Gibbs who has more experience with pregnancy scans.

odettex

Offline Tottie

modify
    Re: Scan pricing
    « Reply #96 on: 21/02/08, 17:49 »
    Thanks for the info about the Birth Company Sue and Odette.  I am looking for a new place to get scans done.  I was going to a clinic attached to the Portland but in the last few months, I price has jumped from 130 to 165, just for patients having treatment abroad. Needless to say, I won't be going there again!

Tottie x

Offline freckles2

modify
    « Reply #97 on: 21/02/08, 18:28 »
    Thanks Sezz and CONGRATULATIONS! I am seeing the doctor on Monday so will ask him if he has any suggestions and will contact my EPU.
    Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy
    Frang

Offline lisabug

modify
    « Reply #98 on: 22/02/08, 03:09 »
    Hi Fran,

I can't answer your question, but I wanted to say ^congrats^ on your ^BFP^!! I hope you have a wonderful, healthy, uneventful 8 months. ;D Well done!!

Lisa

Offline anjela

modify
    « Reply #99 on: 22/02/08, 09:21 »
    HI FranG
    Congrats...I didn't have a blood test as they stopped doing them at my surgery so they said a urine sample is the only way the did and was suffice.

So i gave them a sample and at 5.5 weeks i had a brisk bleed at midnight, realised it was the miscarriage of the other embryo...so i made appointment to see my GP who arranged me to go to EPU for scan, and there was a hearbeat...one bean had stuck....and they worked out i was 6.5 weeks pregnant, they did ultrasound scan in the vag as the stomach one showed nothing up.....so in my case i had no choice and certainly was not worried about the HCG levels, to this day i haven't had bloods done for them.