Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Scans in the UK for treatment abroad

98K views 189 replies 105 participants last post by  Broken 
#1 ·
Hi Girls

On Wednesday went for a scan at the LFC and got talking about scans.  I was asked if I thought there was a market for one off scans in London in the evening.  And I said yes, I thought it was an excellent idea as its difficult for people to get time off of work and I know some of you ladies already have children, and so have to deal with childcare, also there is the congestion/parking charges.  There is also an option of doing it in North London, but I must admit, central London would be easier for me.This person is thinking about offering one off scans to us abroadies but in the evening, I think they want to test the market.  I paid a £100.00 for my scan, so I'm thinking the charge would be around the same.  I said I would post the question, to see what the response was.

Regards

K

#27 ·
Hello girls
I'm at IM and today had my day 7 scan - lining was 11.8mm. I started off being very happy with this especially as I've been having acupuncture and visualising a nice thick lining  :) - but having read a few postings elsewhere now I'm starting to worry that this may be 'too thick too soon', as I've read that linings over 16mm at ET may not be so good for implantation (though not sure why not?).  Anyone got any advice or reassurance? Is my clinic likely to take me off the patches and coast a bit or do you think that 11.8 is ok?

Thanks for any advice you can give me,
Sally x

#28 ·
Hi Sally,

I'm really sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.  I think at E.T. mine was about 13.5 mm and I now have a BFP at last.  Have you tried posting to Ruth?  She's probably the one to ask ......

Good luck hun,
Love gill xo

#29 ·
I am sure i remember reading this exact same question and ruth had answered it with that she had never heard of a lining been too thick.
I'm sure it will be fine, a lovely healthy lining is what you want
wishing you lots of luck for your visit to IM and transfer.

#31 ·
hihi Sally, i am a few days in front of you my lining was 9.7 on day 7
and i wondering the exact same thing as im am now waiting for "the call"
from IM and the longer i wait i worry can it be too long if you understand.
so from what it seems we should be fine.
alison 5

#32 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your replies, I should also have made it clear that I'm using donor eggs in case that makes a difference...?! Anyway, I do feel somewhat reassured. IM has just emailed to say that they don't worry too much about thickness (as long as over 5mm), but no maximum, and that they've seen thicker Day 7 linings than mine so not to worry. Will also ask Ruth as well for her experience. It is just that I was sooo pleased to get a nice thick lining and then when I realised that some people think that there is such a thing as a 'too thick' lining, I felt a bit deflated! But am being positive and generally am still pleased, and visualising a nice cosy nest growing!
Love and good wishes to you all at whatever stage, and thanks for your advice and wisdom -  what would we do without FF?! :)
Sally x

#33 ·
Just a quick update in case it is helpful to anyone else, I heard back from Ruth too and she said she had never heard of a lining which was too thick so not to worry. Also today, had a call from IM saying ET is next Tuesday so I fly out on Monday (patch day 12) so I'm not going to grow the lining for too much longer now anyway - was a relief as had not expected ET till at least next Friday/Saturday.
Hope this reassures anyone else reading who has the same query,
lots of love Sally x

#34 ·
Sally - will be thinking of you on ET on Tuesdsay ----- how exciting!  Look forward to you posting your news when you get back.
lots of luck and everything crossed for this cycle

#35 ·
Dear Sally
Just to let you Know that your question has really helped me. One of my Dx is hyperplasia (thickness) of the uterine wall , measures vary between 19mm-22mm. Saw my Dr today to determine next Tx step (1 failed stimulation :() so spent a lot of time talking about uterine wall measures.
She said that anything < 2mm no chance of implantation and > 20 mm would reduce chances of implantation but still possible. Am going down the IUI route. By the way I live in France and having Tx here. Was also interested in the info about Belgium. Best wishes for next week.
^reiki^ ^reiki^
Caline

#36 ·
Sally

Good luck you only need worry really when your lining is too thin, I never get much thicker than 8mm and thats day of transfer, so  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ and let them be sticky ones you bring home :)

Love

Marina

G
#37 ·
Hi!  I was hoping that someone might be able to help me....

I'm considering going abroad for donor egg ivf and have an appointment at IM Barcelona in April.  They have asked me to get a load of tests done ahead of my appointment, my current clinic and GP won't do them for me - so I wondered if anyone can recommend a place in central London.  Also somewhere that will do the scans etc that I need before ET.

Any help and advice would be great.

Thanks

Dolly x

#38 ·
Some UK clinics are charging a £1000 for scans if you go abroad for treatment.

Make sure that you get all costs up front.

Tony
x

#39 ·
#41 ·
Hi, Dollydee,

I believe the £1000 is for something of a care package in the UK intended to include all scans and blood tests prior to tx abroad plus liaison with the overseas clinic-  I know one place that offered me this but when I went there was no consistency at all about what was included in the price so I went elsewhere which turned out better for me.

The Doctors Laboratory in Wimpole Street can do all the blood tests for around £200- they will accept referrals from overseas clinics by fax or email.  The London Womens Clinic also does scans and bloods ( bloods next door at the HCA clinic) - scans around £130 for external patients.  There are a range of other clinics around Harley St that do scans, such as the Birth Company - prices on their websites.  All in all, 3 scans plus blood tests should cost in total around £590 depending on where you go.  My GP was usually happy to get the bloods done on the NHS but I went privately sometimes rather than wait two weeks for the results to come back.

I actually had the tests for ISIDA done in France when I was on holiday at one of the many private labs around-  the total cost for everything was around £200 and the results were back the same afternoon.  May be worth a trip on Eurostar!

best of luck,

roze xx

#42 ·
hiya.

i am on 2ww after reciving two doanted eggs at IM in spain
need to have hcg blood test on thurday 1st march. then if +ve we have another one a few days/weeks later? i know  that indicates that if levels rising quicky things look good. my gp won't do it, says it's just for my reassurance.  ^idiot^ :'(also says can't scan under nhs until 13 weeks,  by then all could be ruined, esp due to my age, possible twins and my thyroid condition.  ^bigbad^

can i self refer to have scan? alternatively any ideas aboit cost of having scans and paying for them?

#43 ·
You can go private for scans.  I went to Addenbrookes and they were fantastic.  They run a private clinic in the evenings in the main Maternity Suite.  They only charged about £60/£90 for a dating scan which they did at 6 and a half weeks to see if I had twins.  I had 1 hcg on nhs as my GP was a sweetheart and did all he could to help.

I also spoke to a Bupa hospital and they would be happy to do it for me but were a bit more expensive.

Shop around !!!!!!

I think its cheaper to use a private medical clinic than to ask an IVF clinic to do them for you as they seem to be happy to rip off those going abroad for tx ::)

Good Luck and I am sure you will be able to sort something out.

Best of luck and hope you get a BFP on test day :)

xx

#44 ·
Hi

The London Fertility Centre (Clinic) will do scans and beta blood tests for you. Just ring up and tell them you have gone abroad for treatment and they will book you in. They are just off Harley Street and many of the women who are doing cycles in Spain use them for scans and blood tests. They have a special (cheaper) price for women going abroad.

http://www.lfc.org.uk/home.php

Daisy

/links

#45 ·
#46 ·
sorry forgot to metion i am in staffordshire. so trains to birmingham ok,. also to drive within 1 hour

#47 ·
then just google for clinics for ultrasound scans/bloods ... i am sure there must be plenty around. (I have done this to find clinics for scans when i needed one closer to where i was working and couldnt make it into harley street)  i only know london based ones, but as jennifer mentioned you can check with the bupa hospital .... try and see which are the local fertility clinics and they should do you privately.  The list should at least give you a good idea about prices etc so you will know when you are being overcharged!

#48 ·
I completely sympathise with you coconutkym.

My GP will do NOTHING for me. I have paid for every scan (except one when I was miscarrying) at £200 per time and every blood test at £50 per time. I have spent well over £1000 on top of treatment and it's not over yet!
You can shop around and scans seem to vary from about £75 to £250 in my experience. I carry on paying the £200 at the private clinic near me because it is convenient and I have total faith in the lady who does the scans there. She is very, very thorough and not the quick "in and out" I have had on cheaper scans.

Sorry I can't help with places near to you - but just wanted to let you know you are not alone with this problem. In my experience the NHS is not a national health service it is a regional health service and it totally depends on where you are and who you see as to what help you get!!!
love Crusoe

#49 ·
Hi Jennifer,

I didn't know Addenbrookes ran a private clinic, I can't find anything about it on their website. Do you happen to have any contact details? I will be looking to get an ultrasound to check endometrium thickness at the end of March. Do you know if they are happy to do this?

I also contacted a BUPA clinic and was shocked at how much they charge!

Many thanks.

Wallaroo

Jennifer said:
You can go private for scans. I went to Addenbrookes and they were fantastic. They run a private clinic in the evenings in the main Maternity Suite. They only charged about £60/£90 for a dating scan which they did at 6 and a half weeks to see if I had twins. I had 1 hcg on nhs as my GP was a sweetheart and did all he could to help.

I also spoke to a Bupa hospital and they would be happy to do it for me but were a bit more expensive.

Shop around !!!!!!

I think its cheaper to use a private medical clinic than to ask an IVF clinic to do them for you as they seem to be happy to rip off those going abroad for tx ::)

Good Luck and I am sure you will be able to sort something out.

Best of luck and hope you get a BFP on test day :)

xx

#50 ·
Hi  - well done you are officially on the 2ww!

I go over to Care at the Park in Notts - they do a blood test for about £30.00 but won't do scans, post transfer.

The Priory in Birmingham used to do an early scan but were reviewing their procedures - it's worth a check.

Back in May when I had my bfp, I went to GP and in view of earlier m/c's, he sent me for v early scan to the EPU at North Staffs - even tho I had no other support as the Practice doesnt support any private TX. The scan team were fab.

Good luck on the 2ww - IM me if you want to meet up ( not sure if you got my earleir IM to you ??)

Cheers

Olly

#51 ·
Hi girls,

I posted this on the general site at first and was advised to post here.

I am having tx abroad and need to have a scan done on 2nd May.  I have contacted all of the hospitals listed to try to get one in this area (herts/beds) but to no avail.  Hitchin were really helpful and prepared to do it for £150 but the only radiologist who can do the scans does not work on that day.

BUPA Harpenden are charging £240.

Any ideas of where else I can look?

Keeks xxx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.