* Author Topic: Flying and IVF Abroad - Medications etc.  (Read 49550 times)

0 Members

Offline midlands lass

modify
Flying and IVF Abroad - Medications etc.
« on: 13/09/06, 19:03 »
Hi

Not sure if anyone can offer advice as am up for IVF / ICSI in Dec / Jan and trying to plan my life!

Is there any advice given about if it is ok to fly once you have had any embryos implanted after egg transfer?....if we get that far of course!

I am living in Germany but will be having treatment in London and could have to drive back by myself (depending on dh's work). I am wondering if flying might be better...if yes...when...

Thanks to all

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Rosalind

• Me & Hubby on hols, how boring!!!
    modify
    Re: HELP - FLYING and IVF
    « Reply #1 on: 13/09/06, 19:10 »
    Hi Midlands Lass- I came back from Ceram in Spain 2 weeks ago. We flew on the same day as ET and it was fine babe. Lots of the girls fly back either on the same day as ET or soon after. Don't think it makes much difference.

Roz :)

Offline radnorgirl

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 13/09/06, 20:35 »
    Midland lass

Like Roz I am being treated at Ceram in Spain. They do prefer for you to take it easy on the day of transfer (bed rest) and preferably the day after as well. We flew home the day after transfer.

I think that you are probably much better off flying than driving as in my opinion driving would be much more stressful.

love

Helen
    x

Offline babybliss

• dh & I
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 15/09/06, 05:09 »
    Hi Radnorgirl!!! How goes it? We fly out on Monday to Kiev and have allowed 3 days after transfer before returning home, more to have a holiday than anything! And see the city. But the jury is out on this. Dr Sobek at Fertimed said it's best to wait a few days after transfer, but on the other hand lots of girls have become pregnant after flying home the same day...As Midlands lass said, i just hope we get that far as in this game anything can happen.
    Good luck and babydust to all  ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^BabyblissX

Offline Louise999

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 15/09/06, 08:43 »
    Hi ML

I flew back from IM in Spain the day after transfer and got a BFP - I know of several others who did the same.  IM suggest you rest up on the day of ET but say you are fine to fly home the day after.

Good luck.

Louise

Offline midlands lass

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 15/09/06, 21:55 »
    Thanks to all for your time in replying...

I think i am coming round to the idea of flying now...an 8 hour drive is the alternative and not an attractive one at that!

Good luck to all X

Offline Paxi

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 18/09/06, 12:01 »
    I flew back 4 days after transfer and was glad I had the extra few days - I sat around for 2 and did nothing!   I am a very nervous flyer and was in a bit of a state before getting on the plane - however we were lucky enough to have a BFP so the embies must have been pretty resiliant!   Ceram do recommend that you rest the day of and day after transfer and we think it helped, but that is obviously a personal opinion!   Kitty

Offline abbyw

modify
    « Reply #7 on: 16/11/06, 21:33 »
    Hi there,

We flew back from Spain 2 days after ET and got a  ^BFP^ so I think it's absolutley fine although it didn't stop me worrying!  :-\ :)

Abby

Offline safarigirl

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #8 on: 16/11/06, 22:44 »
    i think flying might be better, perhaps check this out as i dont want to pass on false information but i think the theory against driving long distance post treatment (for something like 8 hours) is the restriction of blood flow when sitting for long periods (please if i'm speaking nonsense here someone tell me - but i remember reading this on a thread before)

i also flew to ceram/spain for treatment - i had et on a wed and flew back to london on the saturday.  ceram usually asks you to be there for a week, and i think to rest for at least 48 hours (minimal movement)  post et, then fly.  But you will also find on this thread quite a few abroadies who have flown back from south africa (12hours - although i'm not sure how long post et)
    I think that many of the IM women do fly back on the same day - i would check with your clinic and see what advice they give ....
    wishing you lots of luck with your next treatment

Offline AnnaH

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #9 on: 17/11/06, 11:03 »
    Hi there!

I had my treatment in New York and the first time I stayed in bed in New York for 10 days after the transfer and got a BFN - the second time I flew home (a 17 hour flight as we live in Thailand) the day after transfer and got a BFP!!!

Hope this helpsyou make a decision!!

Good luck

Anna
    x