* Author Topic: Flying and IVF Abroad - Medications etc.  (Read 49561 times)

0 Members

Offline tattyt™

• Gold Member
  • Born @ 37wks 3 days
modify
Re: Flying about ET and personal scanning
« Reply #30 on: 2/06/07, 10:18 »
Hi Dee,

I just wanted to wish you all the best with this tx, sending you loads and loads of  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Tattyt

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Guinness

modify
    « Reply #31 on: 2/06/07, 10:24 »
    Thanks Tattyt - I'm gonna need all the positive thoughts I can get!!

Hoping to have PGD this time so fingers crossed that some of the embryos are normal and also that they last the 5 days before being transferred - VERY scared... Last time using my eggs too, even though I've been told I've had good to excellent quality eggs can't face going through this time and time again so will be moving on to donor eggs next (but here's hoping I don't need to eh!!).

Glad to see your ticker moving along nicely though!

Love Dee
    xxx

Offline mini-me

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #32 on: 2/06/07, 10:28 »
    Hi

I had DE tx in Cyprus last summer - unsuccessful I'm afraid.  I did fly the day after et, but I don't think that had anything to do with my BFN.  I got a BFP (didn't last  :( ) on my 2nd cycle with my own eggs and I had to walk around the block to the clinic's other building just 1/2 hr after et!!  So I'm sure flying is ok.

I didn't go through the scanners on the return journey from Cyprus as the clinic gave me a letter stating I mustn't go through and the reasons why!  They were happy with that and I was just frisked instead.  I didn't even think about the scanners, it was only when the clinic gave me the letter I actually though about it!!

Good luck
    mini-me xxx

Offline sammid

modify
    « Reply #33 on: 2/06/07, 10:42 »
    Thanks Dee. Good luck ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
    Sam

Offline longbaygirl

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #34 on: 2/06/07, 11:03 »
    Dee - I flew less than 24 hours after my ET and I got twins. The clinic would have preferrred me to rest, but frankly, they are not gonna fall out - I've been told that after ET the embies are like bits of fluff in porridge!

Good luck

Offline radnorgirl

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #35 on: 2/06/07, 13:23 »
    I flew the day after ET on all three cycles - one fresh and 2 frozen. On the last frozen cycle I got a BFP.

Helen
    x

Offline roze

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #36 on: 2/06/07, 16:32 »
    I had my ET at 1pm on the Saturday in Kiev.  After one and 1/2  bedrest in the clinic I caught a cab back to my flat and walked up 3 flights of stairs to the flat with my backpack.

Being alone and having no one to fetch and carry for me, I then almost immediately went out to get something to eat and go last minute shopping,returning to the flat at 6pm- again up three long arduous flights of stairs with shopping. The next day I got up at 5.30am  and left the flat at 6am for the flight home.  I went through the standard airport scanners.

I got a BFP two weeks later  and baby is due any day now.

Frankly, I really don't believe any of the advice about bedrest apart from being immobile for a short period of time post transfer to allow your cervix to close properly and hence retain the embryos- I think this is really important.  Apart from this, I really do not think it makes an iota of difference. As long as you are not doing extreme exercise shortly thereafter  I do not think us girls are that fragile and conception has occurred for many people in the most trying of circumstances.  I appreciate that I may not be so complacent had I not conceived, so its best to do what feels right to you.  I would however be wary of too much bedrest especially after medical treatment and flying as surely there is a greater risk of having a DVT this way?  I would not have thought normal day to day activity would disrupt blood flow to the uterus- its surely more complex than this?

I am not aware of any issues with airport scanners but perhaps this is new research?

Feel free to disagree, but I am always concerned to read advice about excessive bedrest for the reasons listed. Immobility for 3 days cannot be good for anyone.

roze

Offline roze

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #37 on: 2/06/07, 16:45 »
    Just found this article re the new machines at Luton so see now what the issues are.
    Seems to be a difference of opinion as to effects on the body however if given the option probably best to opt out if you can....seems like more research is warranted before these machines should be used.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=456818&in_page_id=1774

roze

/links

Offline schmoo73

• my baby!
    modify
    « Reply #38 on: 4/06/07, 22:19 »
    Roze that is very interesting article, will be going to luton on weds & thurs so if they use that will tell them having fertility tx and not to do it - hopefully they will be ok with it.

Good luck with your iminent arrival.

Take care

Schmoo x

Offline Kasia

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #39 on: 5/06/07, 08:01 »
    Hi,

I flew back two days after ET. I was told it was best to fly back before implantation because I wanted to take a travel pill - I'm terrified of flying :( Anyway, I didn't rest more than a few minutes after transfer at the clinic and tried to rest later at the flat but there was building work going on, so I couldn't. Then, the next day a metal bar almost fell on my head. Talk about stressful situations! I went back on my own as DH wasn't there, so had to carry my bags etc. Despite all this, I got a BPF.

On the previous occasion I rested far longer and in far calmer circumstances and DH had carried everything and I got a BFN. So, there is no rhyme nor reason with these things, it would appear.

I went through the scanner both times, by the way.

Good luck!

Kasia