* Author Topic: Flying and IVF Abroad - Medications etc.  (Read 49556 times)

0 Members

Offline janeup

• Gold Member
modify
Re: Flying about ET and personal scanning
« Reply #40 on: 5/06/07, 11:10 »
I had tx on Sunday morning, acupuncture before and after, slept and watched funny dvds (fawlty towers and curb your enthusiasm) all afternoon (also had a valium before tx which helped me rest), flew out around 10 am the next day to London on a two hour flight. BFP!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline clarabelle

modify
    flying with drugs
    « Reply #41 on: 18/07/07, 18:26 »
    Hello all,  :)

Just a quick query for you all. . . !! We are off to Ceram next month for IVF and our drugs arrived the other week via a courier in Italy. I was just wondering how/where to pack my drugs for the flight across. Am I allowed to pack them in hand luggage if i have a prescription with me, or do they have to go in the hold luggage? I'm just a bit paranoid about packing them in my case, only for my case to go missing in the August chaos, with hundreds of pounds worth of fertility drugs going AWOL  . . . .:-\ What do you think? What have the rest of you abroadies done??!

Thanks a lot for any advice

Clarabelle

Offline Grumpygirl

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re: flying with drugs
    « Reply #42 on: 18/07/07, 19:23 »
    Clarabelle,
    I have the same dilemma as you. Last time I took them all in hand luggage (I didn't have space for a book even besides the drugs!) and had a Doctor's note to explain them. But I took the Doc's note because I had a fair few needles and thought they would most likely be the problem. This time I'm only taking pills and some Crinone gel which is pre-packed in  little triggers a bit like you get for Canesten for thrush and they're all individually wrapped. Thing is my GP charged me 10 last time and was a bit funny about doing it and he's already had to prescribe me the Crinone at short notice this week and antibiotics last week for a tooth infection so I think he's sick of the sight of me! I'm a bit loathe to ask to be honest. I'm going to put them all in a clear plastic bag in my hand luggage with the prescriptions and the details of my GP and the clinic for anyone who wants to to make a phone call and check. What do you any of you think? Last time I was stopped and questioned and glad I had the note, this time I don't have the needles and can buy more drugs in Greece than I have here so am less concerned as I need to buy some anyway.

Best of luck, hope the ladies here can help you.
    Love
    Giggly
    xx

Offline clarabelle

modify
    « Reply #43 on: 18/07/07, 20:03 »
    Thanks for that Giggly!

I've got a puregon pen and vials, procrin, plus ovritrelle (which is supposed to be kept cold!) and what seems like millions of needles. Thing is, I had IVF in Spain in january but I can't for the life of me remember what I did then! I  must have put them in my luggage as i definitely did not have a prescription with me. But this time i think i will play it safe, ring the airline to check on latest security advice, get a copy of presription and then put them in my handluggage.

BTW what is crinome gel?

love Clarabelle

Offline crusoe

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #44 on: 19/07/07, 08:12 »
    I take all mine in hand luggage. Last time I went I had clexane syringes so got a letter from my Dr saying why I was travelling with them plus a copy of the prescription. Airport security staff in both the Uk and Spain seemed completely oblivious to what I was carrying, infact at Luton they were so busy chatting I could have walked through security carrying anything. I was worried about carrying all these drugs especially the syringes but honestly it was no problem at all. They were much more concerned about people with too much shampoo!

Good luck with your treatment
    Crusoe
    x

Offline coconutkym

• Gold Member
    • my legs maldives oct 06
    modify
    « Reply #45 on: 19/07/07, 20:28 »
    crusoe... oh yes the explosive shampoo ;D

Offline RSMUM

• Gold Member
    • Reprofit, Czech Republic and CARE, Manchester
    modify
    « Reply #46 on: 20/07/07, 18:56 »
    I had the same experience as Crusoe - have always packed mine in hand luggage and had a letter from the doc on hand to show nayone who was interested. I thought it odd though that when I got on one plane there was a lady sitting there sewing or doing needlepoint or something! And yet my lip salve had just been confiscated!

Offline ophelia

• Gold Member
    modify
    Flying with fertility meds. Help!
    « Reply #47 on: 22/10/08, 22:21 »
    hi there,

I'm due to go abroad for Tx in a couple of weeks and will need to bring my drugs with me from the UK.
    I will be bringing Menopur, Gonal F, Puregon, Cetrotide and Ovitrelle.

has any on you girls having had TX abroad travelled with stimming drugs? If so what did you do?

Does anyone know if they will be ok to be put underneath the plane or will it be too cold?
    If I take the drugs in my hand luggage onboard the plane, what measuments do i need to take in regards of the policy of only being allowed to carry 100ml in fluids etc?

Will I need to phone and check with the airline if I'm allowed travel with the drugs and needles?

Would I be best to carry some meds onboard incase bag gets lost to make sure I have a few days worth of stimms or should I just bring all my drugs in my handluggage?

Will a letter from my GP be enough to show at the customs?

Many thanks in advance. :)
    Love/Ophelia

Offline AlmaMay

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re: Flying with fertility meds. Help!
    « Reply #48 on: 22/10/08, 22:31 »
    I've done it loads.  Bring all the drugs in your hand luggage in case your other luggage goes missing. 

Tell the airline when you check in.  You don't have to call before.  They do this all the time.  They even have sharps bins on the planes.  Remember diabetics on insulin fly all the time. 

Have a letter from your clinic explaining about the drugs.

Good luck

Offline Junnie

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re: Flying with fertility meds. Help!
    « Reply #49 on: 22/10/08, 23:02 »
    hi i flew from UK to Canad and to US with my drugs..

I put them in my hand luggage actually my ACU gave me a cute lil purple bag to carry them in.. they scanned them at the xray machine and all was well